Not for DCW Predictions

Well, here is another one of those prediction posts. Unlike the preseason ones which are based on guesses, and Jeff's dead-eye call that the corps with the highest score will win, this one disects the season that has passed and tried to put it all together. I wrote one of these in Drum Corps World last year and had the top nine in order but missed the 10th finalist. I forgot to submit it to DCW this year, so I'll post here. Flame, make comments, agree to disagree, whatever. Here are my predictions for DCA weekend.

Class A

10. Lakeshoremen - no offense meant. They're a new group and, to my knowledge, haven't performed at a competition this year. Still great to see new blood and I'll be in my seat at 4:00 PM checking you out.

9. Mon Valley Express - a nice first year effort. Hopefully, this will be a building block for futre seasons of MVE.

8. Shenandoah Sound - I say every year, player for player, the best horn line in DCA. Hopefully last years improvement has carried to this year.

7. Gulf Coast Sound - one of the 2004 rookie class, GCS shows improvement with a show that may have made top three last season.

6. Chops Inc. - saw them once in 1999 and they had everything including the kitchen sink (which made me laugh my tail off). Their first year in DCA concludes as a strong one.

5. Music City Legend - one of I think 5 corps competing for the top three spots on Sunday. Exciting show with, what I hear, is a tremendous ending. This is one of the groups I am most looking forward to seeing.

4. White Sabers - another great first year effort with a full season of shows under their belt. I think the Sabers just miss the 3 spot, but gain oodles of respect with their musically challenging show.

3. Alliance - I guarantee, they will not win the coveted Class A drum major award. However, their close battles with Heat Wave during the season serve notice that they are not far from a successful stay in DCA.

2. Heat Wave - Speaking of the corps from Orlando, Heat Wave perserveres yet again witha smaller, fiesty corps that has fans humming the Time Warp clear through Columbus Day.

1. Governaires - Last years rookie favorite has a solid group and, in my opinion, will win this Class handily. The question that remains is whether or not this corps can score higher than the Open 10th place corps. White Sabers will be hoping they do as it would mean they get to appear on Sunday.

Open Class

The last 16 corps open class prelims was, to my knowledge, 1992. The difference is there was no Class A and iot didn;t begin after a 10 corps Class A event.

16. Frontier - new, larger corps that, after overcoming the first year growing pains, should prosper in the future with another couple of seasons under their belt. Nice to have two corps from Texas.

15. Sunrisers - one of the Open Corps with a Class A size, Sun's color guard carries them through a unique production. The Sun is continuing to rise and I look forward to another show from them in 2006.

14. Kilties - just can't seem to get back into Finals after their 1998 appearance. Nonetheless, a strong Kiltie corps witha oslid horn line is a close 14th in this strong field.

13. Kingston Grenadiers - dare I say th best 13th place corps ever, that comment can be made of the corps 11 through 14 arguably. Grendaiers have an emotional performance that leaves them within a point or two of their nearest competitors.

12. New York Skyliners - another corps close to Class A in size, Sky just barely ekes by the Grennies with their New York themed show. Don't be surprised if Sky adds some last minute fireworks to try to gain that number 10 spot.

(Incidentally, I chose Sky 10th last year for my only mistake in the top 10. Maybe leaving them out will make Sky fans think they will certainly get in?)

11. Rochester Crusaders - Disappointment would come to the 11th place corps regardless. But after a summer with no Cru, this is an accomplishment. Should the stars allign correct, and my guesses be wrong (which is a definite possibility), Cru could find themselves performing on Sunday.

10. Connecticut Hurricanes - another Class A size corps, Hurcs stay the course and improve all year. As long as Governaires don't pop a number, the Hurcs will Mag 7 their way into Finals again.

9. Carolina Gold - despite an early performance time, Gold has a corps this year capable of making Finals. Some of the finest soloists in DCA lead to two energetic performances Labor Day weekend.

8. Corps Vets - another exciting offer from the South, CV improves onlast years 10th placefinish. CV must be ready though or Gold could pul the upset. The Corps Vets/Carolina Gold rivalry officially begins when Gold wins, which may not be far off.

7. Hawthorne Caballeros - any other year, many would think I need my head examined. This year, Cabs had a slow start, but emerges as asolid 7th place corps capable of cracking 90 in the scoring column. Anyone who witnessed 2003 knows what happens the year after Cabs have a down placement.

6. San Francisco Renegades - :master: Renegades wow the fans as always and stay in a solid 6th place position. DCA's most unique show gains even more Eastern fans in their 4th trip to Scranton.

5. Syracuse Brigadiers - Here's where things could get very interesting. Brigs are solid, but some other corps have made late strides and surges causing this to happen. Brigs don't go quietly though and will definitely be making another strong push next year.

4. Empire Statesmen - the defneding champs don't have the show to win this year, but may be the most entertaining of the weekend. Nobody tels a story like Empire and this year is no exception.

3. Minnesota Brass Inc. - highest finish ever and a threepeat in the percussion category. MBI's soloists sizzle and cause a frenzy in the crowd. Let's hope the judges give this Minnesota corps the benefit of the doubt after many years of travel and success.

2. Bushwackers - in my opinion, the only other corps in this field who can win. The fact that Bush hasn't seen Reading in about a month helps them out. Bush wins percussion captions over Reading and field brass.

1. Reading Buccaneers - if correct, this will be 7 years in a row where I have picked the season's winner before the first show back in June. Reading is solid in most areas, and pretty darn close to the top in the others. Bucs win Ensemble Brass, Visual and dominate the Effect captions leading them to their first victory in many moons.

Well, there you have it. Fell free to make comments, agree or disagree, whatever. I know Jeff's predicition of corps with highest score wins is safe, but this may be a little more fun. Any way you look at it, I am looking forward to this year's DCA more than the last 15 I attended. It should be a great one.

Adam Burdett

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, Adam.... see you in Scranton!

Fran

Well, here is another one of those prediction posts.  Unlike the preseason ones which are based on guesses, and Jeff's dead-eye call that the corps with the highest score will win, this one disects the season that has passed and tried to put it all together.  I wrote one of these in Drum Corps World last year and had the top nine in order but missed the 10th finalist.  I forgot to submit it to DCW this year, so I'll post here.  Flame, make comments, agree to disagree, whatever.  Here are my predictions for DCA weekend.

Class A

10. Lakeshoremen - no offense meant.  They're a new group and, to my knowledge, haven't performed at a competition this year.  Still great to see new blood and I'll be in my seat at 4:00 PM checking you out.

9. Mon Valley Express - a nice first year effort.  Hopefully, this will be a building block for futre seasons of MVE.

8. Shenandoah Sound - I say every year, player for player, the best horn line in DCA.  Hopefully last years improvement has carried to this year.

7. Gulf Coast Sound - one of the 2004 rookie class, GCS shows improvement with a show that may have made top three last season.

6. Chops Inc. - saw them once in 1999 and they had everything including the kitchen sink (which made me laugh my tail off).  Their first year in DCA concludes as a strong one.

5. Music City Legend - one of I think 5 corps competing for the top three spots on Sunday.  Exciting show with, what I hear, is a tremendous ending.  This is one of the groups I am most looking forward to seeing.

4. White Sabers - another great first year effort with a full season of shows under their belt.  I think the Sabers just miss the 3 spot, but gain oodles of respect with their musically challenging show.

3.  Alliance - I guarantee, they will not win the coveted Class A drum major award.  However, their close battles with Heat Wave during the season serve notice that they are not far from a successful stay in DCA.

2. Heat Wave - Speaking of the corps from Orlando, Heat Wave perserveres yet again witha smaller, fiesty corps that has fans humming the Time Warp clear through Columbus Day.

1. Governaires - Last years rookie favorite has a solid group and, in my opinion, will win this Class handily.  The question that remains is whether or not this corps can score higher than the Open 10th place corps.  White Sabers will be hoping they do as it would mean they get to appear on Sunday.

Open Class 

The last 16 corps open class prelims was, to my knowledge, 1992.  The difference is there was no Class A and iot didn;t begin after a 10 corps Class A event.

16. Frontier - new, larger corps that, after overcoming the first year growing pains, should prosper in the future with another couple of seasons under their belt.  Nice to have two corps from Texas.

15. Sunrisers - one of the Open Corps with a Class A size, Sun's color guard carries them through a unique production.  The Sun is continuing to rise and I look forward to another show from them in 2006.

14. Kilties - just can't seem to get back into Finals after their 1998 appearance. Nonetheless, a strong Kiltie corps witha  oslid horn line is a close 14th in this strong field.

13. Kingston Grenadiers - dare I say th best 13th place corps ever, that comment can be made of the corps 11 through 14 arguably.  Grendaiers have an emotional performance that leaves them within a point or two of their nearest competitors. 

12. New York Skyliners - another corps close to Class A in size, Sky just barely ekes by the Grennies with their New York themed show.  Don't be surprised if Sky adds some last minute fireworks to try to gain that number 10 spot.

(Incidentally, I chose Sky 10th last year for my only mistake in the top 10.  Maybe leaving them out will make Sky fans think they will certainly get in?)

11. Rochester Crusaders - Disappointment would come to the 11th place corps regardless.  But after a summer with no Cru, this is an accomplishment.  Should the stars allign correct, and my guesses be wrong (which is a definite possibility), Cru could find themselves performing on Sunday.

10. Connecticut Hurricanes - another Class A size corps, Hurcs stay the course and improve all year.  As long as Governaires don't pop a number, the Hurcs will Mag 7 their way into Finals again.

9. Carolina Gold - despite an early performance time, Gold has a corps this year capable of making Finals.  Some of the finest soloists in DCA lead to two energetic performances Labor Day weekend.

8. Corps Vets - another exciting offer from the South, CV improves onlast years 10th placefinish.  CV must be ready though or Gold could pul the upset.  The Corps Vets/Carolina Gold rivalry officially begins when Gold wins, which may not be far off.

7. Hawthorne Caballeros - any other year, many would think I need my head examined.  This year, Cabs had a slow start, but emerges as asolid 7th place corps capable of cracking 90 in the scoring column.  Anyone who witnessed 2003 knows what happens the year after Cabs have a down placement.

6. San Francisco Renegades -  :master: Renegades wow the fans as always and stay in a solid 6th place position.  DCA's most unique show gains even more Eastern fans in their 4th trip to Scranton.

5. Syracuse Brigadiers - Here's where things could get very interesting.  Brigs are solid, but some other corps have made late strides and surges causing this to happen.  Brigs don't go quietly though and will definitely be making another strong push next year.

4. Empire Statesmen - the defneding champs don't have the show to win this year, but may be the most entertaining of the weekend.  Nobody tels a story like Empire and this year is no exception.

3. Minnesota Brass Inc. - highest finish ever and a threepeat in the percussion category.  MBI's soloists sizzle and cause a frenzy in the crowd.  Let's hope the judges give this Minnesota corps the benefit of the doubt after many years of travel and success.

2. Bushwackers - in my opinion, the only other corps in this field who can win.  The fact that Bush hasn't seen Reading in about a month helps them out.  Bush wins percussion captions over Reading and field brass.

1. Reading Buccaneers - if correct, this will be 7 years in a row where I have picked the season's winner before the first show back in June.  Reading is solid in most areas, and pretty darn close to the top in the others.  Bucs win Ensemble Brass, Visual and dominate the Effect captions leading them to their first victory in many moons.

Well, there you have it.  Fell free to make comments, agree or disagree, whatever.  I know Jeff's predicition of corps with highest score wins is safe, but this may be a little more fun.  Any way you look at it, I am looking forward to this year's DCA more than the last 15 I attended.  It should be a great one. 

Adam  Burdett

Thanks for the kind words. We're going to be alot better than our Erie performance and about 50% bigger. We've had our ups and downs all summer, but everyone here is excited to go.Next year looks to be very bright for us.

Best to all who perform, and to the great fans!

Jeff MVE

hey good stuff. Always like to see some predictions without prejudice etc.. Could you clarify for me however the grenadier thing...as in being the best 13'th place corps...grenadiers have been in the top ten for a number of years...they have also been an integral part of many shows...especially rounding out a 4 corps show with 2 to 3 exhibition corps...somtimes with less than 40 marching members(exhibition corps i mean) always grenadiers have been a welcome addition to many shows and like other corps never breaking even at the bank....Also grenadiers have been one of the longest canadian members of DCA and I believe they have encouraged other groups to indeed go for the gusto and join DCA...the best 13'th place corps??? I think a fine example of a hard working corps that has overcome financial and geographical obstacles including the pitiful canadian dollar...to manage to entertain and be competitive at the same time......just ask anyone that was in RCA ...the So called senior B circuit...when dca had no time for outsiders..hmmmmm..matadors, Lancers, Erie, pittsburgh Rockets, Emmaus Sentinals, Cumberland freestatesmen, York White rose, Garden Statesmen, the list goes on!!!! ^0^ b**bs :master:

Edited by Sars Lindstrom

Well, here is another one of those prediction posts.  Unlike the preseason ones which are based on guesses, and Jeff's dead-eye call that the corps with the highest score will win, this one disects the season that has passed and tried to put it all together.  I wrote one of these in Drum Corps World last year and had the top nine in order but missed the 10th finalist.  I forgot to submit it to DCW this year, so I'll post here.  Flame, make comments, agree to disagree, whatever.  Here are my predictions for DCA weekend.

Class A

10. Lakeshoremen - no offense meant.  They're a new group and, to my knowledge, haven't performed at a competition this year.  Still great to see new blood and I'll be in my seat at 4:00 PM checking you out.

9. Mon Valley Express - a nice first year effort.  Hopefully, this will be a building block for futre seasons of MVE.

8. Shenandoah Sound - I say every year, player for player, the best horn line in DCA.  Hopefully last years improvement has carried to this year.

6. Chops Inc. - saw them once in 1999 and they had everything including the kitchen sink (which made me laugh my tail off).  Their first year in DCA concludes as a strong one.

5. Music City Legend - one of I think 5 corps competing for the top three spots on Sunday.  Exciting show with, what I hear, is a tremendous ending.  This is one of the groups I am most looking forward to seeing.

4. White Sabers - another great first year effort with a full season of shows under their belt.  I think the Sabers just miss the 3 spot, but gain oodles of respect with their musically challenging show.

3.  Alliance - I guarantee, they will not win the coveted Class A drum major award.  However, their close battles with Heat Wave during the season serve notice that they are not far from a successful stay in DCA.

1. Governaires - Last years rookie favorite has a solid group and, in my opinion, will win this Class handily.  The question that remains is whether or not this corps can score higher than the Open 10th place corps.  White Sabers will be hoping they do as it would mean they get to appear on Sunday.

Open Class 

The last 16 corps open class prelims was, to my knowledge, 1992.  The difference is there was no Class A and iot didn;t begin after a 10 corps Class A event.

16. Frontier - new, larger corps that, after overcoming the first year growing pains, should prosper in the future with another couple of seasons under their belt.  Nice to have two corps from Texas.

15. Sunrisers - one of the Open Corps with a Class A size, Sun's color guard carries them through a unique production.  The Sun is continuing to rise and I look forward to another show from them in 2006.

14. Kilties - just can't seem to get back into Finals after their 1998 appearance. Nonetheless, a strong Kiltie corps witha  oslid horn line is a close 14th in this strong field.

13. Kingston Grenadiers - dare I say th best 13th place corps ever, that comment can be made of the corps 11 through 14 arguably.  Grendaiers have an emotional performance that leaves them within a point or two of their nearest competitors. 

12. New York Skyliners - another corps close to Class A in size, Sky just barely ekes by the Grennies with their New York themed show.  Don't be surprised if Sky adds some last minute fireworks to try to gain that number 10 spot.

(Incidentally, I chose Sky 10th last year for my only mistake in the top 10.  Maybe leaving them out will make Sky fans think they will certainly get in?)

11. Rochester Crusaders - Disappointment would come to the 11th place corps regardless.  But after a summer with no Cru, this is an accomplishment.  Should the stars allign correct, and my guesses be wrong (which is a definite possibility), Cru could find themselves performing on Sunday.

10. Connecticut Hurricanes - another Class A size corps, Hurcs stay the course and improve all year.  As long as Governaires don't pop a number, the Hurcs will Mag 7 their way into Finals again.

9. Carolina Gold - despite an early performance time, Gold has a corps this year capable of making Finals.  Some of the finest soloists in DCA lead to two energetic performances Labor Day weekend.

8. Corps Vets - another exciting offer from the South, CV improves onlast years 10th placefinish.  CV must be ready though or Gold could pul the upset.  The Corps Vets/Carolina Gold rivalry officially begins when Gold wins, which may not be far off.

7. Hawthorne Caballeros - any other year, many would think I need my head examined.  This year, Cabs had a slow start, but emerges as asolid 7th place corps capable of cracking 90 in the scoring column.  Anyone who witnessed 2003 knows what happens the year after Cabs have a down placement.

6. San Francisco Renegades -  :master: Renegades wow the fans as always and stay in a solid 6th place position.  DCA's most unique show gains even more Eastern fans in their 4th trip to Scranton.

5. Syracuse Brigadiers - Here's where things could get very interesting.  Brigs are solid, but some other corps have made late strides and surges causing this to happen.  Brigs don't go quietly though and will definitely be making another strong push next year.

4. Empire Statesmen - the defneding champs don't have the show to win this year, but may be the most entertaining of the weekend.  Nobody tels a story like Empire and this year is no exception.

3. Minnesota Brass Inc. - highest finish ever and a threepeat in the percussion category.  MBI's soloists sizzle and cause a frenzy in the crowd.  Let's hope the judges give this Minnesota corps the benefit of the doubt after many years of travel and success.

2. Bushwackers - in my opinion, the only other corps in this field who can win.  The fact that Bush hasn't seen Reading in about a month helps them out.  Bush wins percussion captions over Reading and field brass.

1. Reading Buccaneers - if correct, this will be 7 years in a row where I have picked the season's winner before the first show back in June.  Reading is solid in most areas, and pretty darn close to the top in the others.  Bucs win Ensemble Brass, Visual and dominate the Effect captions leading them to their first victory in many moons.

Well, there you have it.  Fell free to make comments, agree or disagree, whatever.  I know Jeff's predicition of corps with highest score wins is safe, but this may be a little more fun.  Any way you look at it, I am looking forward to this year's DCA more than the last 15 I attended.  It should be a great one. 

Adam  Burdett

Thanks for the prediction! I would however put Brigs in 3rd and Bush in 5th. I saw Bush in WH and, although they are good, I don't think they'll be top three.

We'll just have to see what happens.

Good Luck to all corps next weekend in Scranton. I know there are a lot of people counting us out but our goal is still the same as it was back in Dec. of 2004. To place in the top 3 Class " A " corps at finals. WOW!!!!!!! What a season!!!! Wspres

not a whole lot to disagree with

Bucs will win

Brigs, Bush, Empire, Minnesota Brass and Renegades will be in a dog fight for two through six.

Cabs in 7th, CV 8th then Hurcs, Carolina, Cru and Sky battling for 9 and 10.

Grenadiers should have 13th....Kilties and Sunrisers were close two weeks ago, so anything could happen there....and then there's Frontier (honestly, I didn't realize they were open class). I hope they do well.....they were in DeKalb and 10 or so points down from Govies and Kilties.....

Class A

Govenaires then Chops, Heatwave and Alliance going at it for second and third.

wish I were going...it's going to be a great weekend. Record number of corps.....the stadium is going to be rocking Saturday and Sunday!

Good Luck to all corps next weekend in Scranton. I know there are a lot of people counting us out but our goal is still the same as it was back in Dec. of 2004.  To place in the top 3 Class " A " corps at finals. WOW!!!!!!!  What a season!!!!  Wspres

I personally am hoping WS will be 3rd.Maybe next year we can get more shows and go head to head with you guys.Wishing you the best.

Jeff

Bump

I think the battle for finals is so close.

Gold, Cru, Hurcs, Grenadiers, and Sky.

good luck everyone!

~>conner