1. 1. Who will be bigger in 10 years

• DCI
    • DCA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like DCA but 10 years, DCI's way to up there to be toppled.

Year round schools don't interfere with the system most of the time for summer tours.

just an interesting little fact...

Here is the same poll from the DCA forums. It seems that they think DCA will be bigger.

It looks like it wont be a good result, because people tend to go to the forums, whos circuit they "support" most

~>conner

I love both DCI and DCA.

But remember this: DCI's success and problems of today can very easily become DCA's porblems/success tomorrow.

The fact is that DCA will have to change as well. Today's younger generation is different. They listen to different music, they enjoy playing a different type of music, and they didn't grow up with the VFW/AL drum corps shows and that tradition. In 10 years all the newbies will not even remember G bugles or the styles of the 70s and 80s. Time moves on, and not every new inductee into the drum corps idiom is going to be well-versed in the history of this activity. To newer members, the history will be the 90s, even the 1st decade of the 2000s (ten years or so from now).

Jonathan

With gas prices approaching $4.00 in some places and with DCI's extensive touring schedule I see a decline in DCI type corps. DCA is more locally based and the corps do not travel that much or that far from home. DCI will evolve into 8 super corps by 2007 and what is known as Div II/III will move over to DCA. DCA still has its roots in locally supported drum corps - DCI does not and I believe that will lead to DCA's rise over DCI.

Edited by Drum Corps Driver

With gas prices approaching $4.00 in some places and with DCI's extensive touring schedule I see a decline in DCI type corps.  DCA is more locally based and the corps do not travel that much or that far from home.  DCI will evolve into 8 super corps by 2007 and what is known as Div II/III will move over to DCA.  DCA still has its roots in locally supported drum corps - DCI does not and I believe that will lead to DCA's rise over DCI.

Was thinking along the same lines before I read this post. Only thing to add is there might be less smaller corps making the trek to DCA because of the bus bill. Maybe the 26 corps at DCA this year might be a record for a while.

Time for both DCI and DCA to rethink the regional circuits.....

The fact is that DCA will have to change as well.  Today's younger generation is different.  They listen to different music, they enjoy playing a different type of music, and they didn't grow up with the VFW/AL drum corps shows and that tradition.  In 10 years all the newbies will not even remember G bugles or the styles of the 70s and 80s.  Time moves on, and not every new inductee into the drum corps idiom is going to be well-versed in the history of this activity.  To newer members, the history will be the 90s, even the 1st decade of the 2000s (ten years or so from now).

Jonathan

Haven't seen a DCA show lately have you?

It's not about nostalgia...that's what Alumni Corps is all about. DCA is competing corps who, although in many cases might not execute as well as DCI corps, entertain audiences like most DCI corps can't (or won't). You have to remember that DCA corps put on shows in only a fraction of the rehearsal time.

In fact, many DCA corps are sort of "DCI lite" in thier approach. You'll see shows that would fair very well on the DCI tour, and the top few DCA corps would possibly beat a few DCI top-12 corps.

DCA is also in many ways a training ground for DCI potential members. I know my corps has sent many young members to DCI corps over the last few years, and they all return expressing how easy it was since they'd had DCA experience.

DCA isn't a second tier organization anymore, nor are the corps that compete there.