The Eternal Question

Two of my favorite corps - year in and year out. But my thoughts for '89 are:

I thought Phantom deserved first at both semi's and finals. I will admit to being hornline-biased, and that Phantom hornline did it for me! The end of the opener...was like they were staking their claim to the field and the title. They were stoked! The end of the ballad with the soprano and baritone playing backfield (especially that baritone!) was great, and the hornline support of that moment was dead on. I enjoyed the writing of the drum break. The light articulation of the low brass in the piece following the drum break "spoke". And then from the soprano re-entry in the closer all the way through the end - that is pure drum corps to me!!!

Well I thought we deserved Qrtrs and Finals, but our semi run was a bit off and from what I ehar SCV nailed semis.

Glad you liked the hornline. The Baritone Soloist was James Hosmer. Didn't see him at the 50th ann. party last summer. Not sure where he disappeared to.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I thought we deserved Qrtrs and Finals, but our semi run was a bit off and from what I ehar SCV nailed semis.

Glad you liked the hornline. The Baritone Soloist was James Hosmer. Didn't see him at the 50th ann. party last summer. Not sure where he disappeared to.

Wasn't James ReDICULOuSLY young? I remember hearing a lot of rumors that he was 17 or 18 at the time. All I could think was, "Wow, that kid can play" (and we would have been about the same age at the time). Maybe I'm thinking of 87 ... but that was him as well ... wasn't it? Hard to mistake him for anyone else with the little puffy and tilted head when he played.

More on Topic .... Maybe I'm crazy but I remember seeing recaps back in the day that had SVC with a .4 penalty (which ReALLY peeved me bigtime). This would mean that they actually scored a 99.2. Maybe I imagined the whole thing because it doesn't show ANYWHERE an the recaps now .. and all the numbers add up. But, I could have swore for the LIFE of me that it was true when it happened. ANyone else remember this rumor/truth/myth/legend?

More on Topic .... Maybe I'm crazy but I remember seeing recaps back in the day that had SVC with a .4 penalty (which ReALLY peeved me bigtime). This would mean that they actually scored a 99.2. Maybe I imagined the whole thing because it doesn't show ANYWHERE an the recaps now .. and all the numbers add up. But, I could have swore for the LIFE of me that it was true when it happened. ANyone else remember this rumor/truth/myth/legend?

Ok to answer both questions LOL

James aged out in 89, so no, was not young.

The penalty SCV got was in quarterfinals.

They scored 97.0, we had a 96.9

They had recieved a penalty of .2 which gave them a 96.8 and gave us the win in qrtrs.

For some reason, the penalty was decided to be incorrect and they got the .2 back.

As far as finals you can see the recap on corpsreps.com

We swapped captions by .1 and .2 and they beat us in perc. perf. by .5 which was all the difference.

The controversy was that our perc perf number from our crap run friday night would have given us the win, then all the sudden with our smoking hot run in finals we end up 5th in that caption.

I don't blame SCV they had a great show as well, and if the drum numbers had been different, so might other numbers, can't second guess 18 years later.

Ok to answer both questions LOL

James aged out in 89, so no, was not young.

The penalty SCV got was in quarterfinals.

They scored 97.0, we had a 96.9

They had recieved a penalty of .2 which gave them a 96.8 and gave us the win in qrtrs.

For some reason, the penalty was decided to be incorrect and they got the .2 back.

As far as finals you can see the recap on corpsreps.com

We swapped captions by .1 and .2 and they beat us in perc. perf. by .5 which was all the difference.

The controversy was that our perc perf number from our crap run friday night would have given us the win, then all the sudden with our smoking hot run in finals we end up 5th in that caption.

I don't blame SCV they had a great show as well, and if the drum numbers had been different, so might other numbers, can't second guess 18 years later.

I would normally agree but, there was no way the brass caption should have been that close, and SHOULD have more than made up for any percussion problems.

RM - 1st loser

ampssuck

I would normally agree but, there was no way the brass caption should have been that close, and SHOULD have more than made up for any percussion problems.

RM - 1st loser

ampssuck

I agree with the horn observation, but when you tie in a drum caption one night then the next night finish 4 spots down after having a much better show, something seemed not right

Personally I liked PR better. Did anyone notice that hole in SCV during finals? Their was obviously someone missing there. What happened?

Did anyone notice that hole in SCV during finals? Their was obviously someone missing there. What happened?

SCV had two members who were kicked out at the end of the season but only one actual hole in the drill in finals. Both were overage guys from the UK who had aged out with the Dagenham Crusaders and came to SCV with false birth certificates and false passports. (The article below suggests that they both committed an international felony by entering the U.S. with false documents. I suppose today they'd be in a lot more trouble.)

Also, the article on the right appears to answer Supersop's question about the penalty that doesn't show up on the Quarterfinals sheets.

It looks like the penalty was removed from more than one corps - and had to do with whether or not you could place "non-percussion" items in the pit area.

scv-not-penalized-1.jpg

One of the overage guys was a snare player who I'm certain was kicked out when we were at our housing sight for the Centerville, Ohio show. The snareline had time to adjust their drill and close in that hole. Just how noticeable the adjustment was during finals has been the object of much commentary on DCP. I personally feel that taking into consideration how close it was to Championships, they did a pretty good job (considering how drilled into your head set points were at that point in the season).

(SIDENOTE: The website corpsreps.com identifies that as Dayton, but I’m pretty sure it was Centerville. If my memory is correct, it was on August 10 – eight days before Nats. I remember the Cadets of Bergen County were staying at the same school as us that day. And corpsreps.com corresponds with that.)

The visible hole in the drill was from a frenchhorn player who was kicked out after we were already at our housing sight in Kansas City. It was too late for us to do anything about that one. I think we marched that hole for all three shows – Quarters, Semis & Finals. (I know it's visible in the Semis video I have.)

I don't remember how we found out or who told us about the snare player but I'll never forget finals week in 89 when GR called us all together outside the school to tell us about a second Brittish guy having just been kicked out for lying about his age. It was probably the maddest I ever saw GR in the two years I was a member of SCV when he was telling us. :grouphug: You could really feel how betrayed he felt. These guys were willing to forge documents and jeopardize an entire SCV season (and what looked like a pretty good shot at the title). But I think we understood that we still had a job to do. It was like Gail was mad enough for all of us, so we didn't need to get mixed up in it.

Edited by bradrick

(SIDENOTE: The website corpsreps.com identifies that as Dayton, but I’m pretty sure it was Centerville. If my memory is correct, it was on August 10 – eight days before Nats. I remember the Cadets of Bergen County were staying at the same school as us that day. And corpsreps.com corresponds with that.)

You are correct! I was in the Cadets in 89, and I remember it. I feel for you guys...what a mess!