The Eternal Question

Personally I think the ride cymbal part was one of the coolest parts of the show, although it was much cooler early season when it was 16th notes before it was watered down to 8th notes. Agree Cadets that year best 5th place show ever, but between PR and SCV, I think 88 SCV was a much better show, and from what I remember (regardless of scores) SCV 89's drumline was full of dirt as well. SO, I gotta go with PR.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that DCI

Regiment should have won the night hands down but SCV was gifted because they got robbed by Madison and Garfield the years prior

Their finals show was not their best performance of that show that season or week. Not as blatant of a gift as they got in 78 though, again at the expensive of Regiment – but still, anyone in the stands that can be objective knows what happened and that's why I never even thought it was debatable?

Hey Brad, when watching the SCV finals show you have to admit that the snares were bouncing off each other like ping pong balls.

The other thing to notice is that SCV won Drums and beat us in perc perf by .5

Sometimes nice to see that a bit of messy visual doesn't effect the drum judges opinion

I was at that DCI

Regiment should have won the night hands down but SCV was gifted because they got robbed by Madison and Garfield the years prior

Their finals show was not their best performance of that show that season or week. Not as blatant of a gift as they got in 78 though, again at the expensive of Regiment – but still, anyone in the stands that can be objective knows what happened and that's why I never even thought it was debatable?

Cowtown:

Whatever are you talking about? :grouphug:

RM - :sshh:

ampssuck

I was at that DCI

Robbed, gifted.. whatever.

The absolutely only aspect of the entire night that didn't sit well with me was the fact on Friday we had a bad run and tied SCV in Perc. Perf. The next night we have the best run of the season, SCV wins Perc. Perf. and we finish 5th, down by .5

If we had simply tied as we did with our crap run the night before we would have won by .1

Other than that what can you say?

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years in this debate, am I the only one who ever thought it ironic that it was Phantom against Phantom?

Phantom Regiment vs. Phantom of the Opera.

:P

Edited by garfield_cadets

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly, I think people who say Phantom got robbed in 1989 because DCI robbed SCV in '87 and/or '88 are just dumb. Could SCV have won in '87? Of course, they only lost by a tenth. Could they have won in '88? Of course, they only lost by two-tenths. Blue Devils could have also won in '88 and '84 and numerous other years where titles were closely contested. Would I argue if SCV won in '87 or '88, or Phantom won in '89? No! It is just idiotic to think that the judges would deny any corps a title because they felt another corps was owed something.

The bottom line, is '87 was a two way battle, '88 was a three way battle, and '89 was a two way battle. Anything could have happened? The cards just fell where they did. I was heartbroken in '87 when SCV lost. Now, when I watch the DVD's, I agree with the outcome, just as I agree with the outcome in '89. '88's a little harder because I am biased. I just have faith in the judging system - I may not always agree with it, but I have faith in the people who are given the tough task of declaring a champion.

I'm not qualified to judge, and no one on here is. Yes, I am qualified to say I don't ever think I've seen a corps perform as squeeky clean as '89 Phantom, but I don't know guff about percussion, or guard, or GE. The judges themselves aren't even qualified to judge a performance as a whole, but merely they are qualified to judge their caption of expertise. I would venture to say that 99% of people on here, including myself, have no qualifications what-so-ever to accurately judge any caption, even though I was a brass player.

These debates will never die. I don't think there's more than a few championships where a different outcome wouldn't be believable. Since I've been around (1984), I feel the only outcomes that were certain were '85, '86, '95 and '02. That's 4 years out of the 23 I have been around (wow, it's been that long)!

I like both '88 and '89 versions of The Phantom of the Opera. I think '88 is superior visually and emotionally, and I think '89 is far superior musical (both in terms of performance and design). I disagree that Phantom ('89) lacked emotion or intensity. It was an amazing performance.

Both were great shows, and both still give me goosebumps.

Edited by gellio

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man..too hard. I'm going to say '89 SCV ONLY for sentimental reasons.

As a younger fan, whom didn't see these shows live, I can't really say that SCV was more "emotional" in 89 than 88, as sometimes has been said, but I can say that 88 was cleaner by my DVD, however, Madison clearly looked the better that night. But 89 imo should have been given to Phantom Regiment. That show is jaw dropping. I show it to new marchers and they are amazed everytime.

I was at that DCI

LOL....umm, no.

Being in the stands that night, SCV definetly had that extra "something" that warranted the title over an outstanding, legendary Phantom Regiment corps.

~G~