The Passing of a Kiltie

I was in the stands Saturday night with another ex-Kiltie Alan (Aldo) Cunningham and my family when Joel went down.  At first we thought that he had just tripped and fell.  But it became painfully clear that it was serious very fast.  We sat there dumb founded and in shock.  We are still in shock today.  We left yesterday morning and missed finals because we just did not have our hearts in it after what happened. 

I can certainly relate...it was a very unreal experience and exceptionally hard to focus on drum corps after this. On behalf of the River City Regiment, our hearts and prayers go out to the Kilties and everyone who was deeply affected by this experience.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of Carolina Gold, I extend to Lothar's family, the Kilties and the entire Drum Corps community our thoughts and prayers in light of this tragic loss.

After reading the kind sentiments in this thread, many of you are far luckier than we to have had the opportunity to really know Joel. I appreciate all of you who shared your personal stories about him, and the posts with the picture of him...he seems like a great friend.

I know the Kilties returned to the field to honor Joel, and they honored him very well. For me personally - they are the epitome' of courage.

God bless.

Lothar,at times, was the kind of guy,who could get you so frustrated,at him, that you wanted to spit.But as my brother Kiltie Guapo said,no matter what he set you off at, no matter how much you wanted to strangle him.you always ended up with a smile on your face.Many times after a conversation with him,I found myself walking away,shaking my head in disbelief as to what had just occured. But thinking back,I always had a smile on my face.

Lotharism #1

There was a conversation about the merits of British Brass Bands and a particular piece of music the corps was playing that year.

The pro BBB guy kept going on the British this,the British that.

Lothars responce

"Yeah well ya know,It's also well known that 10 million Englishmen think Slim Whittman was a musical genius"

End of debate,game set match to Lothar.

Edited by JCSeymour

Lothar,at times, was the kind of guy,who  could get you so frustrated,at him, that you wanted to spit.But as my brother Kiltie Guapo said,no matter what he set you off at, no matter how much you wanted to strangle him.you always ended up with a smile on your face.......

Ain't that the truth.

He will be missed. :(

On behalf of all of us in the westshoremen family, our condolences to Joels friends, family and Kiltie Brothers.

it was truly scary to see. I know a lot of people criticized DCA for how things went, but they couldn't have done better in a very scary and frantic situation.

to the Kilties...how you came back and did your show was beyond me. Trust me, I hope you know the fans reaction was from the heart and you guys did better than any of us expected.

:( Joel "Lothar" Magnuson, mellophone with the Kilties, passed away this evening either on the way to, or at the hospital, after falling during the beginning of the show. The Kilties returned to the field to re-start the show, not sure of his condition. Joel mentioned to one of his fellow mellophones earlier today that he was not feeling well.

Our prayers are with Joel and his family.

Lothar was a charter member of the Kilties when they formed as a Sr corps in 1993, staying in the corps every year....very rarely...if ever....missing a performance.....

He marched with the Jr Kilties and Blue Stars when he did jr corps

excellent musician.....really a nice guy.......worked as a chef at Amelia's Resturant in Milwaukee.....

I'm not sure of his age exactly but he was in his mid 40's

he is really going to be missed.........

RIP  Lothar  :(

I'm so sorry for the loss of any member of the drum corps community. I'm sure he will be missed by his brethern and loved ones.

Sharon

There was a conversation about the merits of British Brass Bands and a particular piece of music the corps was playing that year.

Lothars responce

"Yeah well ya know,It's also well known that 10 million Englishmen think Slim Whittman  was a musical genius"

:laugh;

oh god that was hilarious when he said that............there just wasn't any comeback for that....

that was typical Lother....

Lothars responce

"Yeah well ya know,It's also well known that 10 million Englishmen think Slim Whittman  was a musical genius"

:laugh;

oh god that was hilarious when he said that............there just wasn't any comeback for that....

that was typical Lother....