not too shabby a climb if you ask me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment 1995: 5th

Phantom Regiment Hires Lee Beddis

Phantom Regiment 1996: 1st

Lee was a great addition to the staff in 96, but was a small part of the success.

Several new visual staff members, including some help from Tony Hall towards the end of the season had a large impact as well, but the horn staff did an outstanding job.

When any corps from the top 6 jumps up and wins it is mainly because the corps had a good year, not due to any individual,(obviously).

When Regiment finished 10th my rookie year, the corps put together a 3 year plan to get into top 3 and the next 3 years we finished 5th, 6th and 2nd.

Hire the right people, get a good design team, and get a group of talented kids that work well together and any corps can get to the top. Problem is, if any one piece is missing it just doesn't work.

Didn't they make semis in 2000?

They not only made Semifinals in 2000, but almost made Finals as well. Check out these close scores.

13th-84.95 Southwind

12th-85.10 Bluecoats

11th- 85.45 Carolina Crown

10th-85.70 Madison Scouts

Pretty amazing, huh?

I wouldn't say the Colts jumped quickly; they were a top 25 corps since 1982. Their program did get more sophisticated eventually, but it certainly wasn't Spirit/Suncoast sudden.

They were a perennial quarterfinals corps, and then in 1993, BAM!! Finals! They skipped the whole "make quarters one year, semis the next, finals the next" routine. Not only that but they waited till the last second to be the 12th place corps, they weren't actually in 12th place until after Friday night.

Not to blow my own horn here (heck, I'm a drummer anyway!), but...

Velvet Knights

1979 - 33rd

1980 - Inactive

1981 - 33rd

1982 - 21st

1983 - 17th

1984 - 12th

...then 8 more finals appearances in 9 years before fading to semis and finally folding.

I will agree to some extent with both staff and management being important. You have a to have a good director to pick the right staff, and then have enough brains to stay out of their way.

But the strength of VK during this rise was a nucleus of members who stuck with it, trusted their staff, and just didn't know they weren't supposed to make it.

Garry

• 2 months later...