Suddenly successful corps

I'd say even more impressive is Blue Devils

73 - 23rd

74 - 9th

75- 3rd

76 - 1st

And the fact that they've continued to be successful in the 30 years since indicates that their rise was tied to managment who set ambitious performance goals for the org, then made sure that they were taking care of their end in terms of fundraising and financial management.

BD also had another successful organization in the area to use as a model of how it was supposed to be done..

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment 1995: 5th

Phantom Regiment Hires Lee Beddis

Phantom Regiment 1996: 1st

Glassmen 1996: 13th

Glassmen Hire Lee Beddis

Glassmen 1997: 8th

Glassmen 1998: 5th

Glassmen 1999: 5th

Crossmen 1999: 10th

Crossmen 2000: 9th

Crossmen hire Lee Beddis

Crossmen 2001: 7th

Lee Beddis and Crossmen part ways

Crossmen 2005: 14th

Madison Scouts 2004: 9th

Madison Scouts hire Lee Beddis

Madison Scouts 2005: 6th

I never knew that.

thanks for posting that.

~>conner

I'd say even more impressive is Blue Devils

73 - 23rd

74 - 9th

75-  3rd

76 - 1st

And the fact that they've continued to be successful in the 30 years since indicates that their rise was tied to managment who set ambitious performance goals for the org, then made sure that they were taking care of their end in terms of fundraising and financial management.

BD also had another successful organization in the area to use as a model of how it was supposed to be done..

Yep! And I would add that since 1975 they are the ONLY corps to never place out of the top 5.

Thank you for mentioning the Cadets and Blue Devils. I had just mentioned recent jumping corps, as most of the younger people on this board would be more likely to remember the last 10 years. The reason I focused on the top 6 is alot of people over the years have considered these the "powerhouse" or "elite" corps.

Other corps that have had amazing jumps have included Seatlle Cascades, going from 1st in DIII, to DII, and then Top 12 their first year in DI.Carolina Crown went from DII to top 12 DI their first year if I remember correctly. Capital Regiment also built their program from DIII to top 17 in less than 5 years.

Major comebacks include Spirit and Magic both in 2002, after having not made finals for many years, and Magic after having folded for 2 years, coming back and both making finals in 2002.

These are also corps where you wonder what happened to make them so much better from one year to the next.

And looking at alot of the replies, I definitely think I would want Lee Beddis on my staff.

another thing to consider, at least percussionwise, has bbeen the growth and success of winter percussion. many drum corps have almost entire, or most of their, drumlines marching together all winter and then comming out for summer. this can give them an advantage to corps like say, SCV, that won't allow thier members to miss rehearsal for WGI events.

One can not dismiss the medioric rise of the Suncoast Sound either.

placing 40th in 79, 30th in 80, 21st in 81, 13th in 82, and vaulting all the way to fifth place in prelims in 82, winding up 6th..to be around and "active" during that time..this was shocking and rather rapid.

I think momentum and off season buzz also has a lot to do with the performance and mind set of the members.

~G~

One can not dismiss the medioric rise of the Suncoast Sound either.

placing 40th in 79, 30th in 80, 21st in 81, 13th in 82, and vaulting all the way to fifth place in prelims in 82, winding up 6th..to be around and "active" during  that time..this was shocking and rather rapid.

I think momentum and off season buzz also has a lot to do with the performance and mind set of the members.

~G~

~G~ I'm sure you meant 6th in '83. To add to that, they were;

7th 1984

6th 1985

5th 1986