....on behalf of The Kilties.

bill

Thank you to all our brothers and sisters of the drum corps activity for all your thoughts and prayers to Joel Magnuson, his family, and his extended "Kiltie Family".

Joel ("Lothar"), collapsed during the final 16 count push of The Kilties opening number while performing at DCA Prelims.

Joel mentioned for years (paraphrased), "If I "go" while performing, I'll pass a happy man". Joel is a happy man.

No words can explain the feeling of lose and pain his family, his friends and the Kiltie Family he loved so much feels now, and the roller coaster of emotions at the time of this unfolding of event.

Joel was a wonderful musician and played mellophone with The Kilties, Jr. Kilties, and Blue Stars. Not only did Joel "march to a different drummer", he was the "different drummer" in a loving, caring, and sensitive way.

Joel had the ability to make Satan blush, and God cry............all within a time span of seconds.

Joel recently was working with young musicians in the Racine area by donating his time in teaching them how to play a bugle. As recently as this past 4th of July, he brought his posse of pupils to the staging area where the corps he loved so much was preparing for the 4th of July parade. Joel and several members of The Kilties joined his students and played a rendtion/arrangement of the theme from "Sponge Bob/Squarepants" that Joel arranged. It was a site to behold.

On behalf of The Kiltie Family, and we know Joel, we would like to thank DCA officials for offering the corps the opprotunity to re-enter the prelim competition.

Needless to say, we would have perferred to have finished our first performance with Joel by our side. That was not to be. Joel mentioned prior to entering the field that he felt there was a determination, preparedness, electricity in the air, and a sense of confidence....and the corps he loved so much was about to light the house up.

The Kilties, through Joel's section leader and friend John "JC" Caspers, placed his mellophone in the pit during for our second start.

Joel's Kiltie Family did only what it knows how to do........finish the job at hand. Placement and scores were all secondary, and the show was performed with passion.

The corps finished (as difficult as it was) their 2nd performance, had their pictures taken, and were gathered at the corps equipment truck, where it was officially announced to the corps, that "word" had come in while we were performing that Joel had passed away.

Many in the corps sensed Joel's passing from the onset.

The roller coaster of emotions continued to run as it had from the time Joel collapsed, as the members openly weeped at the lose of one they loved.

Many of the sorrowful private moments of the last couple of days will stay within the Kiltie Family, as they are difficult to express..and in many cases comprehend.

The Kilties formally regathered Sunday morning at the lodging they were staying at, and had a brief private meeting to go over logistical issues, general business of the day, etc., and more importantly to share our sadness and grief with one another.

The Kilties brass line, at approximately 10am Sunday morning, arched up in the parking lot of the hotel, along with every other Kiltie Family members from sections of the corps......placed "Lothar's" horn in the middle of the horn arch, and performed our ballad brass choir arrangement of "Auld Lang Syne".

It was a struggle to play, and hear, as members openly weeped while listening and playing. It was performed with passion and love.......and through all the emotion sounded the most pristine ever.

The Kiltie Family opening embraced one another, and wept at this emotional moment in time, and still weep for our Kiltie brother and friend.

Joel had a heart and soul as big as a watermelon....and all plaid.

Thank you to all the corps who displayed their inner and outward respects to Joel, his family and his Kiltie Family.

We close the competiton end of our season with two thoughts, two thoughts that can only be felt and understood if you are a member, or alumnus, of "The Kiltie Family". It's been written and mentioned a variety of different ways....but the meaning is all the same........and we have some unfinished business to tend to in our upcoming 70th anniversary in 2006.

To that we say............

"Wea Winnea Bea Daunted"

William (Bill) Roetzer

President

The Kilties

Edited by bill

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

First of all, I'd like to express my sympathy to the Kilties family and to the Magnuson family. I can't imagine how difficult a time it must seem for all that knew and loved Joel.

I was wondering if there was some type of donation I and other DCP members could give in the memory of Joel. From what you wrote above, it sounds like Joel had a gigantic heart. I would like to pay tribute by giving from my heart, as well.

Knowing that Joel's spirit is watching over his Kiltie brethern, I think it's safe to say that the 70th anniversary of the corps will be like no other and I'm looking forward to seeing the Kilties accomplish great things in 2006.

Bill,

First of all, I'd like to express my sympathy to the Kilties family and to the Magnuson family.  I can't imagine how difficult a time it must seem for all that knew and loved Joel.

I was wondering if there was some type of donation I and other DCP members could give in the memory of Joel.  From what you wrote above, it sounds like Joel had a gigantic heart.  I would like to pay tribute by giving from my heart, as well.

Knowing that Joel's spirit is watching over his Kiltie brethern, I think it's safe to say that the 70th anniversary of the corps will be like no other and I'm looking forward to seeing the Kilties accomplish great things in 2006.

Thank you Kevin,

The Kilties are setting up a Joel Magnuson Memorial Fund. Knowing Joel's determination and dream to help the less potentially advantaged youth in experiencing drum corps, musicianship and performing on a local level, carrying his dream forth is a priority.

Joel desired local youngsters, no matter of race, creed or financial challenges to experience the activity. This would be an age group not normally eligible to yet perform in any division.

With that in mind, any contributions would begin to get his dream off the ground, and can be submitted through our general PayPal account located HERE, or by forwarding something via US mail to Kilties/Joel Magnuson Memorial Fund, PO Box 085235, Racine, WI 53408.

With warm regards Kevin,

Bill

Thank you Kevin,

The Kilties are setting up a Joel Magnuson Memorial Fund.  Knowing Joel's determination and dream to help the less potentially advantaged youth in experiencing drum corps, musicianship and performing on a local level, carrying his dream forth is a priority. 

Joel desired local youngsters, no matter of race, creed or financial challenges to experience the activity.  This would be an age group not normally eligible to yet perform in any division.

With that in mind, any contributions would begin to get his dream off the ground, and can be submitted through our general PayPal account located HERE, or by forwarding something via US mail to Kilties/Joel Magnuson Memorial Fund, PO Box 085235, Racine, WI 53408.

With warm regards Kevin,

Bill

Bill,

With your permission, I would like to post the above information on my blog and announce it on my podcast during this week's episode.

Bill

I was in section 135 and saw Joel go down, many in our section yelled to get the attention of your DM and the judges. A woman behind me dialed 911; a doctor who plays with the Skyliners jumped the frnce and went out to assist. A sad moment in Drum Corps but a way that all of us who love this activity would want to go doing what we love to do.

Condolences from the Florida Brass Family to the Kiltie Family, his spirit will live on

Bill Saunders/Baritone

Park City Pride

Florida Brass

CT Hurricanes Alumni

On behalf of the entire White Sabers Organization, I would like to extend our heart felt sympathy for your loss to the Magnuson family, and to Joel's Kiltie Family. One can only imagine what you are all feeling at this moment, but what a wonderful thought to know that he died doing something that he loved so very much.

Leslie Amico

Business Manager

White Sabers Drum Corps

Bill

I was in section 135 and saw Joel go down, many in our section yelled to get the attention of your DM and the judges.  A woman behind me dialed 911; a doctor who plays with the Skyliners jumped the frnce and went out to assist.  A sad moment in Drum Corps but a way that all of us who love this activity would want to go doing what we love to do.

Condolences from the Florida Brass Family to the Kiltie Family, his spirit will live on

Bill Saunders/Baritone

Park City Pride

Florida Brass

CT Hurricanes Alumni

Thank you Bill.

Being organizationally structured the way The Kiltes are, I was blessed with being on the field performing along with Joel and the rest of his (and my) brothers and sisters. After the closing chords of our opening number we heard yelling from the stands. We did not know what was going on, as the corps was in performance mode and focused on one thing..the performance.. A fleeting thought ran past my mind questioning if someone was maybe "streaking" across the field, or something? Crazier things have been known to happen at public events. We then saw Program Coordinator Jerry Kelsey, staff members, and DCA officals running from the stands yelling to stop the performance.

Our DM, Jeff Thomas, called the corps to parade rest. Contrary to what we are taught and in a flash of a loss of self disclpine (for the lack of a better term), some of us turned our heads quickly to see a member down.

Our DM issued commands to file off the field in twos to a single bass beat. We were all still in a state of confusion, not knowing what was happening, and to whom. Ray "Moon Eyes" Johnson, baritone soloist with the corps stayed on the field, since "Moon" is in the medical field and expert in emergency procedures. After local medical staff/expertise came to the floor of the stadium, "Moon" followed ethical procedure and let them take over.

I don't think many of the Kiltie Family has yet come out of the daze of the events...it has all been surreal.

Thank you Bill for your help, and to all of the drum corps close knit community for your thoughts, prayers and kind support to Joel's family, friends, and his Kiltie Family.

WWBD

Bill Roetzer

The Kilties

Edited by bill