Now that singing has become "acceptable"

If you want to get technical, bugles ARE extinct and WERE extinct when they added "valves". So if you marched in any time frame from say oh 1970 (give or take hahaha) you were NOT in a drum and "BUGLE" corps. FACT!

So if you marched in any time frame from say oh 2001 (give or take hahaha) when they added TRUMPETS you were NOT in a drum and "BUGLE" corps. You were in a Marching Band. FACT!

Thank you.

Edited by Brassop

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you refer me to a post of mine where I've said "drum corps sucks"?

There is no lack of talent in the upper echelons of drum corps and I've never implied that.  Blue Devils are an incredible marching band playing their marching band instruments.  Cavaliers are an awesome marching band with their marching band instrument. These play their trumpets well and are at the pinnacle of the activity.

Hint:  B flat (trumpet) = marching band

I refer you to an adroit question posited by DrumCorpsFan27 in post #76 of this thread.  I would like to hear honest answers to his genuine question.   Rather than dismissing the question with "why not leave" try articulating a valid response.  It is welcomed.

You imply that drum corps isn't at the same level that you remember...with your various posts of "Oh, when the crowds would :huh: ..." That in itself slights the kids out there now. I have news for you...most people still :huh: in 2005.

And, obviously, to answer your posed question... drum corps as an idiom will cease to be when it's not just bell front brass and percussion out there. Then it will be a marching band under the definition of its instrumentation.

Thing is, I don't like amps or some things about DCI. So, I decided to go check out DCA. It makes me happy, and I can enjoy the activity. "Why not leave" means why not find something that gives you what you want (DCA, alumni, etc), rather than be angry about the current state of DCI.

Edited by bawker

So if you marched in any time frame from say oh 2001 (give or take hahaha) when they added TRUMPETS you were NOT in a drum and "BUGLE" corps. You were in a Marching Band. FACT!

Thank you.

So, if we haven't had bugles for a while now, then you really didn't march in a drum and "bugle" corps, either.

Arguing semantics is fun. :)

Nope. The point is that technically, the corps haven't used "bugles" for decades. (FACT: The definition of the word has nothing at all to do with the key that the horn is pitched in.) Indeed, way back in the 50s, many Canadian corps used Bb bugles.

... And, obviously, to answer your posed question... drum corps as an idiom will cease to be when it's not just bell front brass and percussion out there. Then it will be a marching band under the definition of its instrumentation.

..."Why not leave" means why not find something that gives you what you want (DCA, alumni, etc), rather than be angry about the current state of DCI.

You are entitled to define when drum corps ceases to be drum corps and so am I. And, obviously, .. drum corps as an idiom will cease to be when they discard bugles and start playing trumpets (band instruments). Then it will be a marching band under the definition of its instrumentation. Oh wait...they've done that.

You may attempt to define and thus dismiss my position as an "angry one". It is your right to type what you wish. I do though find it amazing that you're able to devine my feelings.

Now let me define "Why not leave". "Why not leave" means why not find posts that give you what you want, rather than be "angry" at mine.

Edited by Brassop

So, if bugles are gone and they are playing trumpets (with woodwinds coming soon) then it really is Extreme marching bands. 

Your're right, this is fun.

And to think, since you didn't really play on a "bugle", you helped to pave the way for it.

So, if bugles are gone and they are playing trumpets (with woodwinds coming soon) then it really is Extreme marching bands. 

Whatever. What about back in the 80s when they were playing 2-valved G trumpets (or cornets, really). What were they then?

edit: Here's a question for you -- *WHY* are you so determined to define "drum & bugle corps" simply by the key of the horns they play? Is that all the more it means to you? If that's the case, I really pity you. Sad.

Edited by Orpheus

You are entitled to define when drum corps ceases to be drum corps and so am I. Discarding bugles and carrying trumpets (band instruments) makes a group a band and no longer a drum corps. 

You may attempt to define and thus dismiss my position as an "angry one".  It is your right to type what you wish.  I do though find it amazing that you're able to devine my feelings.

Now let me define "Why not leave".  "Why not leave" means why not find posts that give you what you want, rather than be "angry" at mine.

DCI does not define drum corps brass as "bugles", only bell-front brass, excluding sousaphones and trombones. That's the definition that most groups go by. You, yourself, did not play on a bugle. Can we say that you were in an "extreme marching band"?

Considering that you only post to tear down the activity, and offer no solutions as to what could be done to grow it, or change it to be more acceptable in your eyes, I have no choice but to define your position as one of anger, or at the very least, vitriolic in nature towards current members.

And, really...I'm not "angry" at your posts. I'm simply trying to discern the nature of your argument, as the majority of it has been disproven concerning bugle v. trumpet.

Edited by bawker