No Ambulance at Prelims

Note 1: This is not in regard to the Kiltie member passing away. Sad to say I don't think having an ambulance nearby would have helped. If this thread turns into second guessing on that I will request to the thread closed and (hopefully) deleted.

Note 2: Not a bash thread and not looking for guesses. Hope the below will explain my reasons for asking.

Prelims is the first time I can remember there was not an ambulance at a Drum Corps show. This includes shows in Podunkville where the ambulance crew volunteered so they could watch the show for free. A lot of long time fans I talked to had the same thoughts and were wondering why there was not an ambulance on hand. I was also sitting with a person who has a siezure disorder and she brought up another point. Any ambulance crew on hand not only would treat corps members but also audience member who would need help. (And this person has taken enough ambulance trips to know.) Debating sending DCA an email but figure they are swamped right now.

Does anyone have a true answer to why there was not an ambulance on site???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The explanation that I have heard, not an official one by any means, was that there was initially an ambulance on site that was called off to another emergency.

I was thinking of that as a possiblity too Paul. There might have been one there at the start of Prelims but I really didn't notice until the tragedy with the Kilties. Also Sunday (forget if it was Finals or Alumni show) there was a switch of ambulances. The one on site left and another showed up a few minutes later. My guess then was the on site one got a call and the new one was there on stand by mode.

I actually got injured in prelims (yes i know you all find that hard to believe lol) and considered trying to find an ambulance, but then I just thought to myself "eh they're gonna tell me not to march tomorrow and stay off my leg and yeah like that's gonna happen so forget it!"

Good thing I didn't look now!

As I understood it, and I do not remember who told me this, aren't there supposed to be two ambulances on site...one local, and one from the next town over (so - one from Moosic and one from Scranton?) This type of set up allows for other ambulances to be available for those areas, so that the the local EMT service's resources are not "tapped-out".

i have heard that this, being a county facility, is the county's fault, not DCA's

I do know, from personal experience this season and many others, that DCA requires an ambulance be stationed at the contest site for a typical regular season show as part of the promotors contractual requirements,.........but the part that really shook me was after the first incident , they had to call out for another ambulance for the guy from Cabs,...............that was not onsite either,.................

I would think the insurance company(s) for both DCA and the stadium would require a ambulance be present.

Music City Legend performed Friday night at a local football game.There was a huge presence of EMT's and ambulances on site.

I suspect the sad death of Joel will bring about some HUGE changes in the way DCA conducts themselves in the future.

I still think it is too early to start the debate - we still need to decompress.  JMO.

100% agree John. That's why I'm hoping this might bring out some hard facts instead of arm chair quarterbacking and wild guesses. Heard too much of that Sunday night.