No Ambulance at Prelims

I would think the insurance company(s) for both DCA and the stadium would require a ambulance be present.

I suspect the sad death of Joel will bring about some HUGE changes in the way DCA conducts themselves in the future.

DCA Member Corps have a vote on how DCA is operated. I would like to see it arranged that an ambulance is onsite at all times and if that means having two there so that when one makes a run to the hospital there is still one there then that is what needs to be.

You can not be prepared for every possible situation but I think this is something that we can be prepared for and we should be able to make this happen.

As a side note:

Corps have lost members over the years and some have lost members during the season but this is the first time I have heard of a corps losing a member during their show. It is definitely the first time I have witnessed the loss.

My heart goes out to not only the Kilties on the field at the time but to the entire Kiltie family both past and present.

I always knew the Kilties were a positive representation of what drum corps is and once again they prove it on and off the field.

As assistant director of the LakeShoremen (Senior) Drum & Bugle Corps I know that corps need money to keep the organization moving forward. The Kilties have it available to donate to the corps using PayPal or Credit Card from their website at http://www.kilties.org/donate.html

If each one of us donates whatever we can in memory and tribute of their fallen member it would show our support in a way that can make a difference with not only the Kilties but with the our entire drumcorps family.

Russ Braman

Northern Aurora Hornline '86-88

Northern Aurora Staff '90-93

LakeShoremen '04-05 and beyond

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can always recall an ambulance on site at the March of Champions in Baltimore when I was a kid. I used to think that was a strange thing to have at a drum corps show since being a child, I didn't realize the stress on the body that drum corps takes. Now, as a horn player, I realize the need for one. However, I have never really noticed if there was an ambulance at any of the other shows I have participated in over the years. I am sure there was but I didn't see it. I guess I assumed that a call to 911 would be placed if there was a need for emergency treatment. So my point is I never knew whose responsibility it was to have or not have an ambulance on site and what the specific rules were for it.

Ok, I can draw on some experience as a Firefighter and a Police Dispatcher.

And yes, this is speculation.

What usually happens, is the Ambulance is committed to the event. They don't have to answer calls in their usual jurisdiction for the duration.

However, I'll bet that whoever's ambulance this was told them they had to "remain in service", which means, that yes, they're committed, but, can be pulled in order to answer another, usually more serious call.

I don't know what happened. But, I do remember ambulances being posted at DCA's before. I remember in 2002 having an EMT come over because I looked like I was overheating.

If I were DCA (Thank God I'm not), I'd require that there be a minimum of one ambulance committed to the event, and a 2nd one that's "in service available", just in case. If the first one goes, then the 2nd one becomes committed, and can't respond to other calls elsewhere, untill the other rig arrives back at the stadium.

Just $.50 from a guy who knows a little about how EMS works. :)

i was told over the weekend by a HS athletic director that PA law doesn't require one on site, it's up to whoever is sponsoring the event

I have to kind of agree with Mike Meyer, I speak as a 27 year member of a fire company. Usually the local fire department is asked to provide an ambulance for the event. There may or may not be a donation given and I don't know if if other companies charge for the service. (volunteer is becoming a thing of the past). Usually that unit is on by-pass, which means the next unit is called into the district.

They may leave if there is am emergency where several ambulances are needed. In this instances it's hard to replace that ambulance because so many are being used.

Unfortunetly the worst case senerio happened. Would having an ambilance on stand by made a difference in this case. Sometimes it's better not to know the answer.

Sky was warming up across the street from the stadium and we saw an ambulance come flying down from Montage Mountain. Was there an event up there?

Title 28 PA Code, section 1013, EMS Special Event Planning.

I believe event sponsors are required to develop and submit a plan for provisions of EMS coverage at all special events in Pennsylvania to the regional EMS office for review and approval. Once approved in advance of the event, the sponsor must adhere to the minimum acceptable levels of staffing qualifications, patterns and numbers based on the type of event, anticipated crowd volumes, and rapid availability to appropriate levels of initial and definitive care. It does not allow for lapses in special event coverage by local providers; in fact, it was written in part because there was a prevailing pattern of just such behavior where a service would be contracted to 'appear', but still remain available for emergency response off the event property, leaving the event uncovered.

I do believe that provision is still in the PA codes, but even if not, the standard of fiduciary responsibility on the part of the sponsor and the EMS provider has been established since 1985.

Twenty years as an EMS paramedic/administrator in PA, 25 years in the EMS profession, and I was one of the authors/editors of that section of the code.

And I am sick to my stomach that this was allowed to happen in a progressive EMS state like PA in 2005.

i was told over the weekend by a HS athletic director that PA law doesn't require one on site, it's up to whoever is sponsoring the event

technically, based on the Code I cited above, he would be correct as most HS events won't meet the minimum event crowd threshold.

But I thought PIAA does have an on site medical requirement - not necessarily an ambulance, but trained personnel with minimum emergency medical equipment.

technically, based on the Code I cited above, he would be correct as most HS events won't meet the minimum event crowd threshold.

But I thought PIAA does have an on site medical requirement - not necessarily an ambulance, but trained personnel with minimum emergency medical equipment.

I don't know the actual law regarding this but in my experience, from running a BMX track here in Erie, PA, we were required to have 1 rig at the track and one on stand-by. Usually they sent 2 rigs to the events and let one leave for other outside emergemcies. (Usually we had them running so much that the two continually alternated in and out of the track) Our EMS also came with a "mule" that is quicker to get out to the injured party. This was not held at a staduim or a large facility. It was held at a small township park. Maybe it was township rules not PA rules but I like how we handled EMS availibility.

Another thing we did if there were not 2 rigs open that day was have one Emergycare Wheel chair transport van for "triage" and the rig to transport. This worked well too. Then only one rig is out of service for the area and the other vehicle was equiped to hold down the fort until it returned. Trust me it was a constant revolving door. With compound fractures of legs and arms, head injuries and boken ribs those men and women were really busy.

I know this isn't BMX but it is a suggestion to the problem.