DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

This is going to sound harsh, but I really think I would have rather not seen it at all vs. watching what was aired. At the end I really felt like I had more or less wasted 2 hours.

Then why on earth didn't you turn it off after the first 15 minutes? Why did you even tune in at all? You knew exactly what you were gonna get, right? The rest of us did, more or less.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why on earth didn't you turn it off after the first 15 minutes?  Why did you even tune in at all?  You knew exactly what you were gonna get, right?  The rest of us did, more or less.

Didn't turn it off, but quit paying attention after about 15 minutes.

and I think its pretty obvious that no one here knew what they were getting judging by the postings. Have yet to read a post that is much more than a complaint.

<snip>

Sorry, I see no basisi ir grounds for complaints by anyone for any reason. This show was not a requirement nor is nobody entitiled to watch it.

~G~

:worthy: ^OO^ :worthy: ^OO^ :worthy: ^OO^

Didn't turn it off, but quit paying attention after about 15 minutes.

and I think its pretty obvious that no one here knew what they were getting judging by the postings. Have yet to read a post that is much more than a complaint.

A. You haven't been reading very closely. I've observed that most people seemed to have a generally positive opinion, even if there's parts they didn't like or certain things they'd have changed if they could. I have some minor complaints myself, but overall I was quite pleased.

B. You're usually going to hear more complaints than praise in *ANY* situation, because people who have a gripe to air are generally going to make more noise than people who are content. This discussion board is hardly a representative sample of the entire drum & bugle corps audience, anyway.

C. Look at the poll on the DCP front page.

D. Yeah, I can't count the number of times I've left on a TV show that I didn't enjoy just so that I'd have something to whine about the next day ...

E. And yes, the majority of fans here on DCP knew very well that it was going to be mostly human interest stories with only clips of the top eight corps, just like the PBS broadcast from the past several years ... no surprise there.

F. <YAWN>

Edited by Orpheus

Does everyone here take everything so personally?

My original post said that "I" felt like I had wasted two hours, not that the broadcast was a waste of two hours. this is the broadcast reaction thread, and I am reacting.

I think its great that DCI got time on ESPN2, I think its great that DCI got broadcast on a commercial channel, I had just hoped to actually see some drum corps shows.

I realized it was going to be segments and not full shows, but when PBS did segments they least showed whole numbers and edited it well enough that what you saw had some continuity.

The sound bite type coverage of the corps, I thought, was just weak. The explanations and background stuff was good, and I liked what I watched, but more of the performances would have been better.

At the end of the day I think most people tuned in wanting to see shows.

I really hope drum corps gets some new fans out of it (and members and volunteers) but I am still of the opinion that the majority of people tuning in were already drum corpos fans and would have rather seen the shows.

NOW: before you start in ripping my posts, and my opinions, please read it and understand that I am only talking about MY opinions, and they are free for you to take or leave. There is no need to disect it and gripe. I am a nice guy and I love drum corps and I enjoy DCP, but I have my own opinions and I have no hesitation about posting them here. (Thought that was the whole point)

We got full shows on PBS because they were willing to offer the airtime to DCI.  When we fans stopped supporting the show with pledge money, the PBS thing withered away. 

You want full shows...you had them on PBS and for some reason didn't think your pledge would matter.  Well, apparently it did. 

They will NEVER show full shows on any other network.  You never see 15 mins go by without a commercial break.  (few mins to intro, 11 mins for a show, and a few coming out).  Just not going to happen on regular TV.

Actually , you cant contribute to PBS to keep a particular show on, if that was the case all we would see is drum corps ,and Dr. Who reruns,. what killed DCI on PBS was a lack of funding from the U.S. govt. that forced the network to go to corporations for support, thats why you see those thinly vailed commercials between shows.

2. Today, EVERYONE is talking about drum corps. Like the show or not, today the world is discussing drum corps. There are alot of conversations going on in band rooms across the country right now. Good, bad or indifferent - the're talking about what they saw.

Ummm, Thats all we do here...but just to make sure , I'll head down to the local sports bar and see how many of the liqoured up locals are talking about "that marching band thing" last night .

Btw:Emily... I might be home late :P

Edited by contrasteve2001

Actually , you cant contribute to PBS to keep a particular show on, if that was the case all we would see is drum corps ,and Dr. Who reruns,. what killed DCI on PBS was a lack of funding from the U.S. govt. that forced the network to go to corporations for support, thats why you see those thinly vailed commercials between shows.

*confused* ... government money has never been a huge percentage of the funding of PBS. Watch your videos of those old broadcasts from the 80s ... McDonalds, Tombstone Pizza, etc, supported the DCI broadcast. Fact was, people weren't watching it in large enough numbers, and it wasn't garnering enough support, to justify them to keep showing it, in their opinion. That's why we lost the live show in the first place. That post a couple pages back jibes exactly with everything I've heard over the past several years about DCI's relationship with PBS. And I know we corpsnuts are loathe to admit it, but believe it or not, there are millions more people who are interested in documentaries on the Civil War or the baboons of the Serengeti than will ever be interested in drum & bugle corps ...

Edited by Orpheus