DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

Well, I've seen the light!

1)DCI's judges always adjudicate with robotic precision and objectivity.

2) Drum Corps International is the tightest ship in Addison, Illinois. Its business model is a paragon of success. Take notes, posers.

3) The broadcast was perfect. Everything was done correctly. Not a thing could be improved upon.

Edited by Studio Tan

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't feel that ESPN2 was the best place to show case DCI. PBS made sense as would any other network that specializes in the arts and/or education.

Does DCI or anyone really feel that using ESPN2 hits the target audience? I could be wrong but it seems that if this is to be "promotional" it needs to be directed at the correct audience.

As for the broadcast itself, it's what I expected. I wish it could have been the full show, but I understood in advance that wasn't the intent. Did I like it, no. I did recommend it to the kids in our band. Most couldn't stay up that late. No one had any very positive comments about it like "Gee, I want to march in drumcorps". I'll have to show them a full finals video to cleanse their palates.

John K.

Crossmen '80 & '81

Various other musical organizations

Does DCI or anyone really feel that using ESPN2 hits the target audience?  I could be wrong but it seems that if this is to be "promotional" it needs to be directed at the correct audience. 

John K.

Crossmen '80 & '81

Various other musical organizations

Unlike PBS who aired the show at various times throughout the fall (and some not at all) ESPN 2 allowed everyone to watch at the same time. Advertising and promotions were focused on one night, one network.

I also think it's cooler for a marching member or prospective marching member to say they were on ESPN 2 vs. PBS. I know I'd brag a little around school if I said I was on a high profile net.

DCI gets a chance now to promote the activity to potential sponsers with the prestige of an ESPN 2 show under its belt. The benefits of this show will be farther reaching than we know at this time.

Is there any possibility of running this thing both ways? Maybe run the "infomercial" version (as some have called the "snippets" show) like last night, and the full shows version on, perhaps, even another station? I'm not sure what all is under the ESPN umbrella (I'm thinking of an arts & entertainment type channel), but perhaps a channel that is more arts oriented for a full show broadcast could attract a different audience--perhaps one more willing to view the whole thing.

It seems to me that the ESPN thing emphasised the "sport" idea in disproportion to the music idea (for obvious reasons). I don't think too many of us corps members ever thought that was more important than the music, that we were athletes. Ballet is athletic, but no one calls them "dancer-athletes". It's merely a side-effect of the physical nature of the art.

So, can we have it both ways? Someone suggested pay-per-view as a plan B alternative. I like that, and also what I suggested here.

At any rate, to all those who marched this year--Kudos on another great year! :worthy:

Is there any possibility of running this thing both ways?  Maybe run the "infomercial" version (as some have called the "snippets" show) like last night, and the full shows version on, perhaps, even another station?  I'm not sure what all is under the ESPN umbrella (I'm thinking of an arts & entertainment type channel), but perhaps a channel that is more arts oriented for a full show broadcast could attract a different audience--perhaps one more willing to view the whole thing.

It seems to me that the ESPN thing emphasised the "sport" idea in disproportion to the music idea (for obvious reasons).  I don't think too many of us corps members ever thought that was more important than the music, that we were athletes.  Ballet is athletic, but no one calls them "dancer-athletes".  It's merely a side-effect of the physical nature of the art.

So, can we have it both ways?  Someone suggested pay-per-view as a plan B alternative.  I like that, and also what I suggested here.

At any rate, to all those who marched this year--Kudos on another great year!  :worthy:

For much of the country, the Top 17 corps were shown live at Regal Cinemas. I doubt DCi would offer another full show opportunity. It costs money to air our show on ESPN or any other net. We're not at the point where nets are begging for our content and will run it free of charge or responsibility for selling the ad space (DCI took care of much of that for the show last night).

Is there any possibility of running this thing both ways?  Maybe run the "infomercial" version (as some have called the "snippets" show) like last night, and the full shows version on, perhaps, even another station?  I'm not sure what all is under the ESPN umbrella (I'm thinking of an arts & entertainment type channel), but perhaps a channel that is more arts oriented for a full show broadcast could attract a different audience--perhaps one more willing to view the whole thing.

There's ESPNU, which I'd imagine doesn't have a lot to air in July, but who gets ESPNU, anyway?

So...when did they totally start leaving out division 2/3 in the programming? I mean as far as mentioning who won etc..etc..?

I was watching with my 11 year old daughter, whom I had taken to her first show this year (she loved it), and she fell asleep.

She's not the only one!... I have to say though it was a typical ESPN show, all style no substance, it was nothing more than an infomercial, I was really surprised that the DCI dvd commercial aired twice, that thing should have been shown at every commercial break!!

Honestly though I almost wished I did not see the broadcast , yes the story about the Sop from phantom was inspirational,and the scientific bit about the Cavs tenor was interesting, even though it was a couple of years old...But I was disappointed ,I dont want to be the guy who say's "back in MY day..." But :) PBS used to show every note of top 12, plus a vignette or two and it was compeling we would see the compition progess,try to guess the scores and be able to appreciate the Championship performace because we saw everything leading up to that moment .

Now I understand that airtime is expensive whether its PBS, over air network or cable, but please ,would it kill you to show the entire shows of the top 3? ..#### I wouldn't mind the top 2, but 1 song and in some cases not even that was not worth 2 hours of my time, I found myself doing dishes, answering email and cleaning the cat box during DCI Finals, in the past I would have lodged the remote in someone's ### for walking in front of the screen.