DCP Official ESPN2 DCI Broadcast Reaction Thread

Just because DCI paid for thier airtime doesn't mean that they can do as they wish with the program.  It still has to fit the "model" that ESPN2 wishes to be seen on THIER network.  They want viewers to tune in just as much as DCI does.  they have a vested interest in higher ratings even if they didn't underwrite the total expense of the telecast completely.    And judging by the number of commercials during the telecast from ESPN, they obviously did sponsor the telecast to some extent.

I completely agree. Another thing is that when you purchase airtime, you are not just purchasing airtime with ESPN, but put also purchase networking rights to use that network and that you means that you have to abide by their guidelines. Kinda like buying a car that can go 160 mph..... you can drive that fast, but you have to follow the laws and guidelines that go with it.

Edited by DCIAGEOUT

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of those who watched WITH non corps people, how many would have watched on their own without prompting.

Certainly some. Perhaps not many. But I don't know that that really matters. I think one of the great benefits of the ESPN2 broadcast is that we had one time, in prime-time on a major station no less, that we could find our show. Because of that, drum corps fans across the nation were able to let their friends and family and co-workers and classmates know when to tune in. Maybe it took prompting, but the advertising possibilities, both official and through word of mouth, are a big bonus of being on ESPN.

I completely agree.  Another thing is that when you purchase airtime, you are not just purchasing airtime with ESPN, but put also purchase networking rights to use that network and that you means that you have to abide by their guidelines.  Kinda like buying a car that can go 160 mph..... you can drive that fast, but you have to follow the laws and guidelines that go with it.

Thanks for those who responded to my post regarding programming.

I understand there are guidelines for espn2 and networks, such as no nudity and so on, but I find it hard to believe that ESPN2 really believes that it understands better than DCI how to market a Drum Corps show.

Then again, how much of the design of the program was ESPN2 and how much was DCI? I have no idea so I don't want to be harsh with espn2

any more insight would be great, and thanks again for thos who responded to my questions.

WE are the people with all the money, we pay for the tickets to see shows, we pay for our kids to march , we pay overpriced shipping charges for items from DCI , we buy the cd's/videos, we buy the hot dogs at the shows, we pay for everything. Just because a few pepole say drink the kool aid, does not mean we have too.

What do you mean.."drink the kool aid"?????

ESPN and PBS are the networks that provided the air time...without them providing that time....NO broadcast of any drum corps at all.

Kurtis is a respected reporter and even more importantly....producer...American Justice on A&E is one of his shows, for example. I think having input from broadcasting professionals is the best way to get well-produced drum corps shows on the air.

"Ring, ring...Mr ESPN...this is Mr DCI...we'd like to put a show of our drum corps championships on the air on your network.....What's that? How long is it?...Oh...about four hours or so....why are you laughing, Mr ESPN?"

:)

Mike

lol - the past couple pages were filled with rants by a couple of posters now on 48 hour vacations from dcp

when you are posting nothing but rants and moans - it's time for a net vacation  :P  :P

thanks for hte kind feedback!

Thank you, George! I mean really - THANK YOU! ^OO^

I understand there are guidelines for espn2 and networks, such as no nudity and so on, but I find it hard to believe that ESPN2 really believes that it understands better than DCI how to market a Drum Corps show.

Perhaps they don't necessarily know how to market any particular thing or activity, they just know what works on TV, after all, they are in the TV business, not DCI.

Execs at any particular specialty network (ESPN, HGTV, and so on) might not be involved heavily in the sort of activities and/or hobbies that thier network televises...they are professionals in the business aspect of broadcasting and I would dare say that ESPN Execs would understand programming much moreso than anyone in the DCI office. Maybe DCI will learn a thing or two about marketing to the masses?

Edited by ssorrell

Hey, you know what I really liked? I thought that the part where the brass players talked about the stereotypical characterizations of their voicings was funny (and true). The sopranos ARE always right even if the euphoniums think that they know they are right :) .

WE are the people with all the money, we pay for the tickets to see shows, we pay for our kids to march , we pay overpriced shipping charges for items from DCI , we buy the cd's/videos, we buy the hot dogs at the shows, we pay for everything. Just because a few pepole say drink the kool aid, does not mean we have too.

WE are not PBS or ESPN, the few people who say what shows on THEIR network. What WE pay has NOTHING to do with this at all.