Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

I have the same problem with "drum speak" as I do with horn lines singing -- its not drumming (just as singing is not horn playing).

The corps should receive no "build up" credit for that portion of the show because they are not actually playing their drums.  If the drum line spends thirty seconds "rappady rap sniggly goop"-ing, then it is not drumming for approximately four percent of the show. 

The corps' maximum ensemble and drum scores should therefore be 19.6 out of 20.

Unfortunately, I don't see corps being dinged when they chant or sing.  If the judges actually did their jobs then you would see this sort of gimmick disappear.

I'm not in favor of this stuff either but your argument is the same as saying "if the drums rest for 30 seconds then they should only be able to get a maximum 19.6 out of 20." Basically, if you want the stuff to go away there will have to be a rule against it. Singing in drum corps has been going on for a long time though so I wouldn't expect a change.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem with "drum speak" as I do with horn lines singing -- its not drumming (just as singing is not horn playing).

The corps should receive no "build up" credit for that portion of the show because they are not actually playing their drums.  If the drum line spends thirty seconds "rappady rap sniggly goop"-ing, then it is not drumming for approximately four percent of the show.  

The corps' maximum ensemble and drum scores should therefore be 19.6 out of 20.

Unfortunately, I don't see corps being dinged when they chant or sing.  If the judges actually did their jobs then you would see this sort of gimmick disappear.

Ok so based on your scenario then if a corps does a beautiful horn ballad and the drum line sits on the sideline or moves off to the backfield during that part of the performance and doesn't play for say 1.5 minutes of the show while the horn line and guard are featured (ala Cadets 93 or others) then since they aren't drumming for approximately 13% of their show then their maximum drum score should only be 17.4 and that's only if they play everything else in their show squeky clean. I'm sure star would have loved that judging rule back in 1993, then they would have beat Cadets by over 2 points at finals.

thanks for playing

Edited by bluecoats88

The BD vocals shown were for the most part background, the Cadets vocals were the forefront of the show (complete with camera close ups) at that moment.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, or maybe I didn't hear, but I don't recall any YOWZA's on the broadcast.

Very beginning of the broadcast...just one set...they were fine. Fit right in with the theme....all IMO.

Mike

Oh, someone had a Sawx jersey? Must've turned my head for that moment.

What's with cheap pops this year? It's like in wrestling, when the Rock goes "I'm in....CLEVELAND!" and everyone goes "yaaaaaaaay he said the city that we reside within or near yaaaaaaaay!" Blue Devils were like "this couple is from Naperville!" or something. As if that'll make people not notice that the Blue Devils had the most preposterous show from a top-caliber corps ever. And this was a year in which all of the Big Four were lackluster.

JSU did a similar shoutout when they did Ghost Train a few years back..."All Aboard for Clifton!", as an example.

Mike

You are soooo right Phantom kicked butt...  And they did it the old fasion way.

The sad part is the amps are working their way down, I saw more then one High School Parent running around with an orange extension cord trying to find a place to plug in their rock band pretending to be a pit.

Amps have been around the band world for decades, long before DCI permitted them.

Mike

Get over the Cadets drum speak part, it was bad a**.  I don't know any drum corps drummer (who isn't fossilized) not like it.

Hi, have we met? I'm 23 and did not like it. Keep the drumspeak in rehearsal.

I think the problem that people like "slow adam" had when trying to explain the drum speak to non-drum corps people is that they didn't know how to explain it.

Most of my friends have heard me drumspeak at one point or another, and they all get a kick out of it, but it's not for the field.

We all know drumline members who do drum speak anyway so why not add it into the show.  Cadets already proved that the kids can play the snot out of their drums so why not show another skill that they do.

Ya, and we all know guard members who ride the drum bus, why not show the skills they have besides spinning and dancing?

God forbid it get put on a mic.  Would you rather the Cadets drum speak be like Blue Devils 2003 and be barely audible.

Yes, that would have been much better.

:worthy: Well my 2 cents on the Broadcast is:

1. Quality of the production was very good.

2. The production was a way too "FLUFF" in content. There was no energy to the segments on the instruments...better to show each section in performance action with snippets from lots of corps to have a visual energy to it.

3. Pretending that it was a live event was lame...treat it like highlights

On the production side drum corps broadcasts would do better to present it like the series 24 with 2-3-4 windows of video...our activity is a visual and audio experience present it like one not low key fluff I found myself flipping channels during the fluff parts.

Good first attempt lets hope they get it for next year....(we'll see how many times ESPN repeats it like the cheer leading contests....)

Side note....was it me or did all the corps up to cavies and cadets sound muffled....I had my surround sound on but only cavies and cadets sound was "clear and crisp"

:worthy: