Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

So up here in Canada, I had to go to a sports bar to take in the ESPN2 broadcast.

Did anyone else find themselves in a public place watching DCI and trying to explain things to people?? Being the only drum corps nut in the bar made me the official answerer of all questions.

Top 3 questions asked"

"When is halftime over?"

"Why did they say 11 minutes during the features, but the shows were only 5 minutes long?"

"WHY DO THEY HAVE MICROPHONES AND WHY ARE THEY TALKING INTO THEM, THEY DIDN'T DO THAT IN THE DRUMLINE MOVIE!?!?"

Now I thought Mr. Hopkins' whole point for amplification, narration, and woodwind BS was to draw new fans, the "MTV Generation" he called it. I'll tell you something, the clip of BD wasn't bad, no YOWZA's, and Phantom and Cavies had the bar actually listening in and enjoying the broadcast. When Cadets took the field and started the Bjork / Drumspeak, everyone was like "that is stupid, what is this, what is going on?" I had to explain that activity I fell in love with wasn't like this; that in recent years there had been some contraversial rule changes, and not all drum corps do this stuff.

THESE WERE POTENTIAL NEW FANS GEORGE HOPKINS! THEY WERE REELED IN AND EXCITED BY REAL DRUM CORPS AND TURNED OFF BY THE AMPLIFIED HUMAN VOICE! WHEN WILL YOU LISTEN TO US? IT IS NOT JUST THE DRUM CORPS PURISTS SAYING THIS, NON-DRUM CORPS FANS THINK IT IS STUPID TOO!

And why was Jeff Fiedler pretending he didn't know the corps was in second place AFTER RETREAT HAD ENDED???

The broadcast was lame. <**>

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got phone calls from friends I told to tune in. They all loved it. And they've never even heard of George Hopkins.

Do you really not understand that the political garbage and anti-Hopkins tirades are highly personal and have absolutely no meaning to, you know, people who are just tuning in to enjoy the show?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out what some acquaintences from work have to say.

I got phone calls from friends I told to tune in.  They all loved it.  And they've never even heard of George Hopkins. 

Do you really not understand that the political garbage and anti-Hopkins tirades are highly personal and have absolutely no meaning to, you know, people who are just tuning in to enjoy the show? 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out what some acquaintences from work have to say.

The people watching the show with me knew nothing of George Hopkins, they just knew what they thought was stupid: Talking into microphones during a drum corps show.

Edited by Slow Adam

Actually, I think he was pointing out that the people around him, who had never heard of George Hopkins either, thought that the drumspeaking/various ampings/etc. were dumb and were turned off by them. Is his argument less valid than yours?

I got phone calls from friends I told to tune in.  They all loved it.  And they've never even heard of George Hopkins. 

I can see it now the Blue Devils are playing at a country bar, with chicken wire between them and the drunks, just like in the movie The Blues Brothers, "we hate amps"---then drunks throw beer at corps who are behind the chicken wire--- it could happen

Edited by floatdude

It's not valid to say that a broadcast, which in his opinion was bad, was George Hopkins' fault. As "stupid" (his word, not mine) as the broadcast was, blaming one man for it was even more stupid.

I buy that it was universally hated by everybody who watched it in that bar...loads.

:lolhit:

everyone i watched it with - all music majors or people who are involved in music - really loved the cadets drumspeak. they all said "wow, that was really cool!" even though they agreed that narration is usually cheesy. honestly, i love it too.... whenever i listen to that show, i rewind that part a few times.

and i have a hard time believing that anyone going to a sports bar would A ) loudly admit to having seen drumline, or B ) scream (as you implied) about amps and microphones.

Edited by CapRegBari

The Cadets show.....sucked.

It was a bunch of babbling into microphones. "Waka ###### ping jam robin swish borg! Laka ripa soon zhim peedeepeedee BANG klorn!" Then a girl in a dunce cap jumps out of a door on a box. WHOA, SURREAL!! No. That's like if you #### on a canvas and called it art.

Way to show half of the Cavaliers show. They skipped the end, the part that was actually music, but at least they spared us from Fun With Ladders. And what the #### did Johnny Damon have to do with it?

Nice fluff. Fluffy fluff. I could rest my head comfortably on all that fluff. It was heartwarming that the girl beat death to march. Too bad we barely saw her march! I don't need to hear three people make a "mellophones are mellow teeheehee!" pun. It's not even funny once.

Why did they pretend it was live? Thanks for those up-to-the-minute leaderboard standings from a show that happened a month ago. Can Phantom Regiment hold onto 1st? It might be tough, especially when everybody watching the show knows the ####### outcome. Spare the facade of live TV, just put Rondinaro and Other Dude in a studio and treat it like a highlight reel.

Meh.