Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

silly concepts are not exactly a bad thing... especially if it brings the audience into it.  all i know is when i left the live show and closed my eyes, i saw

1 Phantom Phantom & Phantom and was humming the tunes

2 BD's sideline and gard show

That's my point: awesome music trumps a concept

amppickle.jpg

Now I had to pump my fist.

Edited by Studio Tan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get over the Cadets drum speak part, it was bad a**. I don't know any drum corps drummer (who isn't fossilized) not like it. Hands down, without a doubt, Cadets out played every other line this past season. Cadets battery rammed more notes in their ballad than many corps did in their entire show.

I think the problem that people like "slow adam" had when trying to explain the drum speak to non-drum corps people is that they didn't know how to explain it. We all know drumline members who do drum speak anyway so why not add it into the show. Cadets already proved that the kids can play the snot out of their drums so why not show another skill that they do.

God forbid it get put on a mic. Would you rather the Cadets drum speak be like Blue Devils 2003 and be barely audible.

But most importantly, my favorite part of the broadcast was that it gave me 2 hours of my like where I didn't have be victimized by the typical "anti mic" or the "I can do a better job designing a show than Hopkins and the entire Cadets staff can" type of vibe that has unfortunately pretty much taken over this message board.

I have the same problem with "drum speak" as I do with horn lines singing -- its not drumming (just as singing is not horn playing).

The corps should receive no "build up" credit for that portion of the show because they are not actually playing their drums. If the drum line spends thirty seconds "rappady rap sniggly goop"-ing, then it is not drumming for approximately four percent of the show.

The corps' maximum ensemble and drum scores should therefore be 19.6 out of 20.

Unfortunately, I don't see corps being dinged when they chant or sing. If the judges actually did their jobs then you would see this sort of gimmick disappear.

But most importantly, my favorite part of the broadcast was that it gave me 2 hours of my like where I didn't have be victimized by the typical "anti mic" or the "I can do a better job designing a show than Hopkins and the entire Cadets staff  can" type of vibe that has unfortunately pretty much taken over this message board.

If it bothers you so much, why spend the other 22 hours in your day on here? Get a friend or something, I've heard they can be lots of fun.

I love, however, how you managed to cap off your post with the exact same thing of which you speak - b****ing and moaning.

"We have, in fact, two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice, and another which we practice but seldom preach."

One of these things is not like the other...

:)

My take on the broadcast is that it was difficult for someone who hasn't seen drumcorp before, to really get a feel for what they are seeing, when you only show sound bites of each corp. They should have at least shown the entire show of the top 5 or even top three for that matter.

The negitive comments I heard on Mic's where that they where a distraction. My opinion was that although some used the mic's better, others used the mics to hide behind them. Appearance is everything so if drum speak is drumming I stand corrected. If it's drumming then the Bluedevils use of the Mic's should have helped there drum score. or maybe it did. and we just don't realize it.

Finally, the comments on the broadcast where the Judges think they are drumcorps biggest fans really had me confused. I guess some of them are fans and some are not. The placements were possibly correct but the spreads weren't. Even the real fans realize that!

THESE WERE POTENTIAL NEW FANS GEORGE HOPKINS!  THEY WERE REELED IN AND EXCITED BY REAL DRUM CORPS AND TURNED OFF BY THE AMPLIFIED HUMAN VOICE!  WHEN WILL YOU LISTEN TO US?  IT IS NOT JUST THE DRUM CORPS PURISTS SAYING THIS, NON-DRUM CORPS FANS THINK IT IS STUPID TOO!

not for nothing....but the non-drum corps fans i was with were pretty turned off by phantom regiment's color guard headdresses. like really turned off. they couldn't stop talking about those and the cavaliers uniforms. now should i go on a rampage against adam sage and bruno zaccala for getting rid of some potential fans??

I thought the boradcast was a HUGE success and everyone I was with enjoyed it very much. I think some of you let your anti-Hopkins bias cloud your judgement on everything. So what if some guys at a bar didn't care for the Bjork speak. There were other things to watch, and if they still didn't like any of that then perhaps drum corps is just not their things. Drum corps is not going to be for everyone, so get off this horse that all newcomers should love it.

The broadcast was very well done and very entertaining. Bravo to DCI. For those of you who didn't like it, oh well, life sucks sometimes. Sometimes we just don't get our way do we? I think we should all cry more when we don't! And then, right after we cry, let's blame George Hopkins. Makes sense to me. NOT!!!!!!!!

Thank You, DCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Bibbity bobbity skillet rap ding dong! Boo daba boo waba shank lana goo!" is more like it

And don't forget to add: AWOP BOB A LOO BOP A BOP BAM BOOM!!! ^0^