smart-aleck review/rant of DCA finals

The Man with the Golden Arm.

Thanks..... :blink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Prelims I thought the Cabs were dead but the Whole corps put it in a whole nother gear for finals you guys were by far much better Sunday night like a whole different corps. Congrats on bringing this corps back from the dead when I saw you in Clifton I thought they might not make finals what a turn arond. Good luck next year.

A few random thoughts from DCA finals. In no particular order

- Cabs: what a disaster. Looks like you really thinned out in ’05. can’t believe you could have slipped this far back. Like Brigs, your horns usually carry you. This could be the worst horn line I’ve seen out of you in years. guard was non-existant after many strong years.

:beer::blink: :blah: :blah:

Oh, is THAT what you call yourself...but what was the name of the song?    :P

Mike

First I thought Ken was giving me a compliment, but I wondered why I wasn't the Man with the Golden Fingers. :P Then I remembered the old movie title. Will have to check if Blockbuster has it in stock.

I strongly disagree with much of this review, but it is refreshing to see someone put up their real opinion and not just "Everyone was great"

I say this as a member of a group the reviewer didn't particularly care for.

This "review" reminded me of everything I hated about RAMD and why I stopped reading it 3 years ago. Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. Sum up a top four corps as the mighty falling, and perhaps the most successful corps in history (Jr. or Sr.) as a disaster.

You might miss Butch and George, but I'd bet neither of them would agree with your assessment of these corps. And yeah, I knew them both.

Hey, whattya know! There's my "smart alec" review of your review. Maybe I should be back on RAMD, that nattering nabob of negativity.

Oh yeah, whoever said that singing the music is easy compared to playing it, probably doesn't do either particularly well. I don't disagree with you on this... you're actually just wrong.

(I should last about 1 day on this forum).

This "review" reminded me of everything I hated about RAMD and why I stopped reading it 3 years ago.  Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.  Sum up a top four corps as the mighty falling, and perhaps the most successful corps in history (Jr. or Sr.) as a disaster.

You might miss Butch and George, but I'd bet neither of them would agree with your assessment of these corps.  And yeah, I knew them both.

Hey, whattya know!  There's my "smart alec" review of your review.  Maybe I should be back on RAMD, that nattering nabob of negativity.

Oh yeah, whoever said that singing the music is easy compared to playing it, probably doesn't do either particularly well.  I don't disagree with you on this... you're actually just wrong.

(I should last about 1 day on this forum).

good for you. honest emotion and criticism. very rare here.

hey, I call it like I see it. some of the corps sucked this year, some didn't. sorry If I hurt anyone's feelings. that's why it's a "forum." everyone gets to post and comment.

sometimes music geniuses and those playing on the field and in the corps get a jaded view of what their performances look and sound like. I didn't see a whole lot that was great in 05. just my opinion.

(ok, go ahead and post your snarky comments about how opinions are like <removed-word filter circumventing-BDL> here. I'm ready for ya)

I choose to be frank, Frank. got the vector, Victor? over, Unger.

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

To I missbutch and george:

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion about the Cabs O5 hornline, but I think your opinion lacks validity.  I've played in the CABS hornline the past three years, so naturally I have my own perspective and bias.  However, the difference between us is that I would check as much unbiased data as I could before I made such strong public pronouncements.  I suggest that you look at the brass scores from the finals where knowledgeable judges on the field placed our hornline almost even with Minn Brass and only slightly down from the Renegades and Brigs.  Based on your own opinions, Minnesota and the Renegades were very good.  So, the data shows that the CABS hornline performed almost as well as corps you judged to be very good.

I was with the CABS all winter, spring and summer, so I witnessed the dramatic changes the hornline went through.  While we have had better scores and placements in the past, I can tell you that a lot of corps would not have made it through the challenges we faced.  How many corps could lose the number of members and support staff we did in one year and still come back to field a competitive corps scoring in the 90's. 

I am proud of the 05 CABS.  We had an awesome drumline, the color guard really pulled it together, and the brassline was respectable.  I can't wait to get started on the 06 60th anniversary show. 

Mike Risley (Doc)

Cabs soprano/trumpet 03-present

ok. but dude, you finished in SEVENTH! not only that, but you were almost 4 POINTS behind the sixth-place corps. CABS are always very, very strong with an outstanding horn line. I love the Cabs. sorry, but it wasn't there this year. I was shocked to see you drop so far. do you know the last time you finished in 7th??? try 1969.

this is where I get frustrated with drum corps types. reality doesn't even deter your self congratulatory views of your performance - good or bad.

the 7th place finish speaks for itself and supports my statements.

Really ###### me off (Yeah better than being ###### on) that one of the Hurrcs songs was played by a French Canadian corps in the late 70s and I loved both versions. Too bad I have NO idea what the song is called.

The song is "Frankie Machine" from the Sinatra movie Man with the Golden Arm.

Fran

ok. but dude, you finished in SEVENTH! not only that, but you were almost 4 POINTS behind the sixth-place corps. CABS are always very, very strong with an outstanding horn line. I love the Cabs. sorry, but it wasn't there this year. I was shocked to see you drop so far. do you know the last time you finished in 7th??? try 1969.

this is where I get frustrated with drum corps types. reality doesn't even deter your self congratulatory views of your performance - good or bad.

the 7th place finish speaks for itself and supports my statements.

To the 2005 Cabs,

No matter what place you guys came in, as long as you completed the season to your personal best ability and had fun doing it with everyone, then I say congrats on a successful season. I look forward to seeing you guys at the Post! I have marched with the Cabs for 6 years placing 1st-6th and I have nothing but the greatest memories of all those years, including the less than stellar ones.

To the original poster,

You have to understand that the corps as well as many others went through tough times during the pre-season. There is no reason to make it a point of reminding them what place they came in negatively. The members of the corps pulled together and put forth a presentable program. And for that reason I call it a successful season. It is hard for any corps to remain in the Top 3 or Top 5. Other corps have experienced it and so have the Cabs.

Good luck to all corps in the 2006 season and have fun doing what you do! B)