What was the Storyline of The Cadets Show?

Geneva

That gives me a great idea.  Someone tell Hopkins that next year the Cadets should do the music from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with a "Wizard of Oz" visual theme!

Be careful what you wish for...... you just might get it!

I can hear it now.....

The whole pit singing......

"We're off to see the wizard!

The wonderful wizard of OZ!!"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what you wish for......  you just might get it!

I can hear it now.....

The whole pit singing......

"We're off to see the wizard!

The wonderful wizard of OZ!!"

No, no, no, they'd be singing "breathe..... breathe in the air...."

actually...thats an awesome idea!

I KNEW I should have kept it to myself. Now every other band and probably a corps or 2 is going to steal my idea!

Some of this is very funny. I love it.

As for me I loved the Cadets show and found it to be a breath of fresh air, even if it was a bit out there and hard to follow at times until you knew where to look and what it was about.

That said, I agree with many of you that it was a Twighlight Zone episode about a girl who enters into her dreams. Only this dream is a wild one, and she goes into four episodes that eventually cross and surprise her. The music is really nothing more than a soundtrack to her dreams, but it is done so well and arranged so well that you are drawn in by the dream, the music, and the amazing drill and guard. The amazing thing about the drill is that it wasn't designed to be some whiplash, let-us-show-you-how-difficult a show we can march. The drill effectively conveys the personality of the girl in each dream, and it works seamlessly with the music. This is the genius of this show.

As for who thought this up, some of you are saying that it was Hopkins. But it was Marc Sylvester. If you listen to the last radio broadcast that Dan Potter does (you would need to have access to DCI Season Pass) he interviews George Hopkins on the day of finals during the Cadets breakfast with almuni and parents. This is a very good interview, and George basically says that he was all for continuing the fan-friendly shows. But it was the kids in the Cadets who wanted to go back to innovation and contemporary show design, and it was Marc Sylvester who really wanted to go in this direction as well.

For me personally, the show is sheer genius, and even if some high school WGI guard has already attempted the idea, I say so what. Someone on this forum mentioned that Cadets 2005 reminds them in many ways of Suncoast Sound 1988. I agree. But the genius of the Cadets show this year is that it is unique in it's presentation, musical choices, and its interpretation of the dreams and how to stage them. Certainly not the common fan's cup of tea, but still a wonderful and amazingly created and performed production.

Just adding on to what has been said.

The Second personality was not a "Princess" she was a queen, and a chess queen to be exact.

At the last movement when her personality meets they fight (note the cherography)

The show can also be interpreted as someone suffering from schizophrenia, but thats just another way of looking at it.

This whole thread is a trip having to analyze a drum corps show... b**bs Priceless..

Loved the cartoon...so true. b**bs :angry:

Edited by Lancerlady

I could/would probably warm up to this show a lot more if that darn outhouse wasnt smack in the middle of the field !!! :angry: ^0^

It is a distraction to me, and I feel it interupts the flow of the show and actually cheapens the achievement and effect created by the corps...just my opinion, not bad or good or anything, it just is.

~G~