Kind of Interesting in NY

At the present time, Excelsior has a goal of having a competitive field corps in 2007.

We originally planned 2006, but we have set other goals for 2006, and moved this goal to 2007.

Come join us (sorry I had to add that plug...LOL b**bs )

Dano

Edited by skymello2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the NY/PA/CT/MA/NJ area has been one of the old hotbeds of corps activity, I started thinking of my home state, er commonwealth.

Off the top of my head came up with (in 2005):

DCA - 2 (Finally a 2nd corps *sigh*)

Alumni - at least 7

Mini - 1

DCI - 2 or 3 - Lake Erie Regiment, LVK and depends where the Crossmen consider home

ik mybad...i thought something was said that wasnt...lol....but still....rochester and buffalo arnt upstae and u NYCers allways referto us such

well blame the news then, besides all our teachers. news broadcasts always start off with things like "Today, upstate in Rochester such and such happened" not "In western New York".

probably because there is a West New York in New Jersey. :P

it's not like we're trying to put you guys down by calling you upstate. you're north so you are up to us.

Edited by LegalEagle50

Actually, if you ask a native NYC resident, anything past Westchester County is "upstate".  B)

actually it depends on what part of Westchester even. you have the civilized parts of Westchester and then there is northern Westchester, like Purdys, Somers or North Salem, which is considered upstate to many an NYC resident (or at least the Brooklyn ones i grew up with). :P

It isnt up for debate. Anything north of NYC is now, always has been and always WILL be upstate NY. That includes Cuse/Roch/Buffalo.

Buffalo likes to refer to itself as Western NYS or the Niagara Frontier, but its STILL upstate.

andorondacks is upstate dude...(btw ik the news does do that stuff, thats usually what i get mad at lol)

ik mybad...i thought something was said that wasnt...lol....but still....rochester and buffalo arnt upstae and u NYCers allways referto us such

Little Joe.....read carefully before you reply! Buffalo and Rochester ARE Upstate. NYC, Long Island are downstate. That's what the term Upstate means.

If you want, I can give you a geography lesson while I'm up there next month.

Plus a lesson in drum corps so you can carry on the tradition OR find Dick Hoppe or Tom Peashey, they'll inundate you with drum corps info. Great stuff!

Little Joe.....read carefully before you reply!  Buffalo and Rochester ARE Upstate.  NYC, Long Island are downstate.  That's what the term Upstate means.

If you want, I can give you a geography lesson while I'm up there next month.

Plus a lesson in drum corps so you can carry on the tradition OR find Dick Hoppe or Tom Peashey, they'll inundate you with drum corps info.  Great stuff!

I think his drum corps heritage is firmly established. BTW if you live in"Cuse, Albany, etc. Buffalo and Roch. ARE WNY NOT UPSTATE.

I don't think anyone lives in 'cuse, not even members of the Brigadiers, so I guess that means Rochester is upstate. :)

What difference does that make to the topic though? Whether you consider "west New York" or "upstate New York", or just plain "New York State", there are still way more corps in DCA than DCI, which is what the original topic was about.

I believe there was a junior corps called the Patriots, wasn't there? They are/were from west upstate New York (Rochester). There is also a junior Div 2 corps called Quest from Brooklyn NY, in addition to the already mentioned Div 3 corps Cadets of NYC.

If you only consider competitive senior field corps, there are 6, and soon to be 7, and if you add alumni corps there are another 4 at least.