Underrated Brass lines

AzEuph

Pioneer 01 was a pretty good one too.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'87 Phantom Regiment - This and 87' Vanguard is what lured me into Drum Corps.

88' Suncoast Sound - Very Underrated Hornline.

91' Freelancers- Such and AWESOME Sounding Hornline, Great Quality of Sound.

01' Seattle Cascades - Saw them for the first time that year at the Santa Ana show here in Socal and was really impresssed with the controll and quality of sound being generated by the hornline, I knew something special was to come.

03' Seattle Cascades - Mello line, Serious WORKHORSES of this show..really good sounding hornline. Seriously kicked it up a notch in their Brass Arrangement.

Phantom Regiment 2000...  amazing....... simply, amazing.

True, forgot that one.

I've heard many people say (and I'm near agreeing with) that they should have been somewhere in contention for winning horns on finals night.

I personally felt that Capital Regiment's brass this year was impressive. By far the hardiest book (especially for mellos) with the top 5 in front of them. Deryck Gipson is an amazing captian and hopefully he'll recieve the credit one day. Capital went from being 20th (around) to almost making it into the top 12, .1 away from Glass. That to me is quite an impressive growth.

I concur with the original post. That hornline came together and was smoking during finals week. They have a bright future ahead of them. And they've added Dean Westman to their staff which will definetly pay dividens with Cap Reg's hornline.

Yes, I forgot. Most definitely. 1991 also....especially the end of the opener. :ph34r: all this reminds me....

NINETEEN EIGHTY EIGHT FREELANCERS. hoiwrhoginiwrf4fp. The E.T. show. yes.

1989 was a better show with better music, but the hornline seems a bit less aggressive.

I appreciate the love being showed for my alma matter. I dont get to hear much of peoples opinions about us so I like reading these comments.

That said...

I would disagree with you on 89. I think we were just as aggressive, if not more mabey, but we were not as raw. 89 was a year older and a year more mature than 88. Also, keep in mind that we folded in 86. We came back in 87 and marched 55 brass, of which about 4 were veterans, so 88 was still VERY young. After the success of that year, with a combination of very few ageouts, virtually no attrition and good recruiting, we came out with a much more refined line. Both 88 and 89 have their appeal, but my vote would actually go to 87 Freelancers. Listen to THAT line and then keep telling youself...

51 rookies and an average age of 16! Now TAHT was underrated!

My list...

1991 Freelancers - That Bari lick near the end of Bells...####!

Cheers Shannon! It was a blast to play. I still have teachers and mates saying to me; "Did you HEAR that French Horn lick at the end??!!"

Um...

We didnt HAVE any French Horns!

I appreciate the love being showed for my alma matter. I dont get to hear much of peoples opinions about us so I like reading these comments.

That said...

I would disagree with you on 89. I think we were just as aggressive, if not more mabey, but we were not as raw. 89 was a year older and a year more mature than 88. Also, keep in mind that we folded in 86. We came back in 87 and marched 55 brass, of which about 4 were veterans, so 88 was still VERY young. After the success of that year, with a combination of very few ageouts, virtually no attrition and good recruiting, we came out with a much more refined line. Both 88 and 89 have their appeal, but my vote would actually go to 87 Freelancers. Listen to THAT line and then keep telling youself...

51 rookies and an average age of 16! Now TAHT was underrated!

I think you took what I thought, and phrased it better than I did. "Raw" was a more accurate term than "aggressive." I only got to listen to '89 once unfortunately, off of the DCI season pass trial thing. I've listened to '88 repeatedly (I think my CD skips, now). From what I remember, '89 was indeed more mature, and I liked most of the music selections more (especially the ballad). It was cleaner, in all audio aspects. In regards to which was a better hornline, I would say '89. Which one I enjoyed more, though.....recent memory tells me '88, for the sometimes over-the-top intensity; I'm sure if I listened to '89 more, I'd probably wind up preferring that one. Either way, the streak of '88-'91 (not the biggest fan of '87 from when I've listened to it, though the point about the rookies is pretty amazing) showcases four of my favorite hornlines ever. Did the same person who wrote for brass in '91 come back in '92?

I think you took what I thought, and phrased it better than I did. "Raw" was a more accurate term than "aggressive." I only got to listen to '89 once unfortunately, off of the DCI season pass trial thing. I've listened to '88 repeatedly (I think my CD skips, now). From what I remember, '89 was indeed more mature, and I liked most of the music selections more (especially the ballad). It was cleaner, in all audio aspects. In regards to which was a better hornline, I would say '89. Which one I enjoyed more, though.....recent memory tells me '88, for the sometimes over-the-top intensity; I'm sure if I listened to '89 more, I'd probably wind up preferring that one. Either way, the streak of '88-'91 (not the biggest fan of '87 from when I've listened to it, though the point about the rookies is pretty amazing) showcases four of my favorite hornlines ever. Did the same person who wrote for brass in '91 come back in '92?

John Zimny wrote our brass book pretty much for the entire existence of the corps

Carolina Crown was the most underrated hornline of 2005, hands down. Many factors make this clear: First, listen to the sound they produce and try to find anything that well balanced and blended anywhere else on the 2005 CD set... I would be willing to bet that you cannot. Secondly, listen to the way they play the music... Crown may not attempt to play a million notes in a show like everyone else, but every single note played by every single player in that line carries a specific musical purpose... each phrase has direction, and each note has style and shape. Overall, they acheive an unprecedented level of clarity that has only been achieved by a very elite few. Lastly, check out where they are on the field while they perform at the previously mentioned level... I noticed more than a few times when the whole hornline played clearly and crisply while spread out over 80 yards of field. For sure, the last attack of the opener was achieved while the whole hornline was spread 10 to 10, while other corps could not even begin to achieve that level of clarity without being much, much closer together.

Again, it has become clear to me that Crown was underrated in 2005...

...and I'm just going to call it right now... keep working hard top six, and keep doing what you always have, being great and such... don't worry about little baby Carolina Crown... but whatever you do, don't look back.

Corps in rear view mirror may be closer than they appear.