Is it an Alumni Corps if.......

GABA

I also posted this question in the "Historical Drum Corps" section.

I think I have a problem with calling an Alumni Corps a "Alumni Corps" when they use outside members to march and play. Can someone from the Kingsmen, 27th or other "Alumni Corps" tell me how they justify the use of the name "Alumni".

Do the actual marching Alumni have any problems with non-Alumni marching next to them calling themselves Alumni? This is not ment to negitive in anyway. I would love to see the Kingsmen again, but would they be the Kingsmen or just people with Kingsmen uniforms on?

Thanks

GABA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think it's an alumni corps unless it's made up of alumni only.  Otherwise it would be an all-age, or if you prefer, senior corps. I would feel kind of weird playing in an alumni corps which I was not an alumni of, personally.

I think it's just the name that was first hung on these corps to differentiate them from the field competitive corps. Most of the members are alumni of the drum corps activity in general, if not the specfic corps, so for me it's not an issue. For some...maybe it is.

Mike

My thoughts and feelings are the same. An alumni Corps should be all alumni. One of the Sr. groups I marched with became an alumni Corps and I am grossly offended that they will take people who never had anything to do with the orginization. The other Sr Corps I was with has also went the Alumni route but it is my understanding the it IS ALL Alumni. Same with the Jr Corps I marched with. One of the Alumni started an Alumni Corps and it has gone inactive because there was not enough intrest from the Alumni.

Just my 2 cents

I do not consider the status of people that marched with us in 94 only as alumni of the 27th Lancers. The 27th Lancers were a junior corps/class A, division I corps. That IMO is what made you an alumni and after having certain other credentials so to speak, a graduate.

If I were to end up marching in the Kingsmen rifle line, I would not consider myself an alumni of their corps either.

It will be very different for me putting on any uniform other than my own, and it may feel so incorrect that I would have to rethink it even of everything else was in place and I was ready to go.

I also would not have that very, very comfortable feeling I had marching with so many people in 94, as well as knowing about 100 people from other years (when Dad and sisters were involved) and other corps. There is/was a comfort zone that can never be replaced if you're not one of the home towners, or alumni/graduates.

A lot started as true Alumni corps, that is former members only. But if the competing corps no longer exists, then going outside is the only chance to keep the corps going no matter what it's called. Both Alumni groups I've been with have a lot of competative corps members but accept non ex-members (both corps no longer compete).

In fact one of the corps accepts and looks for HS or other aged people who never marched corps. The feeling I get is that the corps is more there for the community (local pride) instead of for the ex-members. (And I earn this as a compliment as this is a great opportunity for younger people who don't want to do the DCI bit.)

As for the question of what to call them...... Well it's a good question that I raised here a few months ago. Tribute, non-competing or just plain Drum & Bugle Corps were brought up as possible other names.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari