Is it an Alumni Corps if.......

GABA

I guess the debate is similar to mainstream music...

Is it still Journey without Steve Perry?

no, and it's not Styx w/out Dennis DeYoung

as for alumni corps....really...how many corps these days play music only they did? not as many as you think, so that kills the "tribute corps' title as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unless you want your "alumni corps" to fold, you really shold be more open about it.

If the corps carries on the traditions and style of the "original" corps, then yes, it's alumni corps...regardless of if the membership was in the original corps or not.

If you're strict, you're gonna run out of members...

and Westshore makes no bones about it. in fact, if it weren't for non alumni, we'd have no pit

( thanks Bucs)

can you imagine if the boston crusaders, st. kevins emerald knights, light brigade and pembroke imperials joined forces tomorrow? how about alumnus from blessed sac, hawthorne muchachos, garfield, st.lucys, st.patricks, woodsiders, st.andrews and audubon joining forces for a great exhibition corps? wouldn't  they be considered as a combined drum corps alumni who are advancing the activity?  of course they all come from different corps, neighborhoods and backrounds. but,  oh, what great corps they would be. bridgeport did it right, from what i understand, putting away long standing animosities to put quality drum corps back on the map. i would consider anyone who marched in any drum corps and who came back an alumni of drum corps, period.

even better if any corps let in people who never marched but want the rush.

When the Caballeros Alumni formed in 1994, only former Caballeros were accepted in the corps. I have to say I was thrilled to see the closed membership as were many others who wanted to keep the corps "pure". It may have been elitist to some but it was an exclusive club that many earned who marched with the Caballeros competing corps through the years.

As members aged and others began to drop out due to various reasons, it became difficult to draw former Caballeros out of "retirement" from drum corps. Some were just not interested, others felt if they were going to do the schedule of the Cabs Alumni they would join the competing corps, etc.

The first step of opening the corps was to open it up to all former Muchachos. While some former Muchachos did join, it was not enough to sustain the membership.

Eventually to the chagrin of many members who wanted to retain the corps "purity", it was decided to open up the membership to anyone who had 3 years of drum corps experience and over 25. It was a difficult decision but the choice was either allow "outsiders" or the corps membership would continue to shrink. The choice to open the corps was obvious.

While the membership has opened, the corps continues to play only music played by the Hawthorne Caballeros. Until about two years ago, the corps played as close as possible to the origianl arrangements. Recently, Larry Kerchner has enhanced some of his original arrangements which included El Barrio, MacArthur Park and Samba de Orpheo played in 2005. All drum solos are original Les Parks, George Tuthill, and Jack Pratt arrangements. As the arrangements were changed, Chew Gernandt, rewrote the drum parts to fit the new arrangements.

Alumni is not a true designation for any of the alumni corps since they are really re-creations or tribute corps. Perhaps with DCA now called all age, I agree that perhaps the alumni corps be called senior corps of the corps they represent.

Edited by cabalumsw

I think it's just the name that was first hung on these corps to differentiate them from the field competitive corps. Most of the members are alumni of the drum corps activity in general, if not the specfic corps, so for me it's not an issue. For some...maybe it is.

Mike

Usually we disagree on certain issues Mike, but on this one I agree one hundred percent. In the case of the Kingsmen, the 17% that comprise "alumni guest" are either family of alumni includine spouse and childre, and those that have been close to the corps in some aspect.....they are all alumni..and after marching with the alumni corps at our first show, it will be a non-issue...as far as I am concerned, it is already a non-issue

Yes, true, but the question was whether they should be called "alumni" corps or something else.

Since the Kingsmen alumni corps is going to be performing in a few shows leading up to the 2007 DCI Championships, after the first show, all guest will be Kingsmen alumni and will be expected to live up to and uphold the Kingsmen traditon....so what we have my friends are several rookie Kingsmen marching their first show with the blue cadet....next show they are alumni :P

can you imagine if the boston crusaders, st. kevins emerald knights, light brigade and pembroke imperials joined forces tomorrow? how about alumnus from blessed sac, hawthorne muchachos, garfield, st.lucys, st.patricks, woodsiders, st.andrews and audubon joining forces for a great exhibition corps? wouldn't  they be considered as a combined drum corps alumni who are advancing the activity?  of course they all come from different corps, neighborhoods and backrounds. but,  oh, what great corps they would be. bridgeport did it right, from what i understand, putting away long standing animosities to put quality drum corps back on the map. i would consider anyone who marched in any drum corps and who came back an alumni of drum corps, period.

The Bridgemen Alumni Corps is made up of roughly an 80% to 85% ratio of genuine St. Andrews/Bridgemen. The way most of us see it in old Bayonne, we welcome the unfortunate souls that never had a chance to live the Bridgemen experience back in the day. IMHO it IS an alumni corps if you have alumni in the corps who are breathing life into the traditions of days past and I don't see anything wrong with welcoming others into the ranks to join the festivities. Life is short. If you didn't have a chance to do it then, there is a grand opportunity to do it now. The 2006 edition of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps is something that you won't want to miss.

....... getting to my shameless plug for the Bridgemen Alumni Drum and Bugles Corps open house this coming Saturday, September 24 bridgemen.info and a message to welcome any of you who would like to come down and share the experience in this, our second season as an alumni corps. As a genuine alumni of the Bayonne Bridgemen I can say that it was a pleasure last season marching with old friends as well as people who came in from other drum corps.

HYPE!

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

The Thunderbirds legally dropped the "alumni" from our name. Our proximity to Rochester and age/family issues made it impossible to march all Tbirds alumni. We're a senior (or all-age for PC) drum corps who competes when we get enough folks together. oops, just saw gary's post.........nevermind

Edited by bass1