More theatrical shows like Cadets 1995?

Anyone else agree that corps should try experimenting with more theatrical-type shows, especially those that are suited for it (Cadets, Vanguard). Cadets 1995 presented a completely different of version of drum corps (just compare them with the Cavies that year). The whole storyline and acting aspect, to me, adds so much more emotion. I'd take that over narration any day. Combine that with incredible, varied music by a great composer, and I really don't see what could be better. The end of that show gets me every time...

Edited by Hrothgar15

Anyone else agree that corps should try experimenting with more theatrical-type shows, especially those that are suited for it (Cadets, Vanguard). Cadets 1995 presented a completely different of version of drum corps (just compare them with the Cavies that year). The whole storyline and acting aspect, to me, adds so much more emotion. I'd take that over narration any day. Combine that with incredible, varied music by a great composer, and I really don't see what could be better. The end of that show gets me every time...

You what theatrical? Catch yerself some 1987 Sky Ryders.....if you aren't in tears at the very end, you have no soul...

I read the header and my first thought was - you must have missed 27 in 94! I was a thousand miles away, watching PBS, and I cried. Sometimes the emotion is simply in the music (SCV 04 too).

Regards,

John Swartz

While it wasn't a sappy make you cry story, the Cadets did experiment with a more theatrical type show this year.

I'm going to throw out the fact that Cadets '95 is a great show to run to. Their arrangement/performance of Swing, Swing, Swing has to be one of the best jazz charts ever put on a field. The pacing, staging, stylistic accuracy, and enthusiasm remain practically unmatched as far as DCI jazz (I guess you'd categorize it as swing, more specifically) charts go, in my opinion. Though all sections of the hornline sound great, I especially love listening to that baritone section. During the soprano solo, and the feature at 7:40, are both incredible. Bass solo was also obviously extremely memorable, and for good reason. Throughout the entirety of the show, that mellophone section is also one of the best ever, as far as I'm concerned. To think that I had disliked this show in the past...

Off topic, but I listened to the Orlando recording of Cadets 2002 today. If that show hadn't been changed throughout the season, that may have been one of my favorite shows ever. The GORGEOUS chords at the end of the ballad (why was that changed?!?!!?! ahhhhhhhhh...), and the superior arrangements of the jazz chart, opener (when it wasn't watered down), and especially the ending of the show, are enough to make me enjoy it more than the finals version. There seemed to be much more intensity, as well. If the ballad had remained as it was early season, it'd probably surpass Phantom '95 for my favorite of all time. Definitely too bad, how the result turned out to be relatively sub-par design-wise (compared to the performance level) with the potential that show had.

edit- I just heard for the first time, after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, a guy near the recorder say "yeah! Old Skyliners style! Heh....yeahhh, yeahhh!!" and then another guy go "Awwww, jeeez....their sound is just....stunning." Lots of entertaining stuff being said that night, haha.

Side note - that was my first drum corps show ever...June 22nd, 2002. How notable. Tell your friends.

Edited by Jared_mello

Please no. Performance problems withstanding (people falling down at the end of drill moves and small ensemble intonation disasters), I thought the the Cadets' '95 design was a tad corny and over-the-top sentimental. Swing, Swing, Swing sounded okay, but they just stood there for 3 minutes. Great guard, though.

I preferred the less theatrical Bluecoats show from that year, which also focused on the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII. It was emotional without being gimmicky.

Swing, Swing, Swing sounded okay, but they just stood there for 3 minutes.

I think that is more than made up for by marching at 200 beats per minute the entire three-minute opener.

Please no. Performance problems withstanding (people falling down at the end of drill moves and small ensemble intonation disasters), I thought the the Cadets' '95 design was a tad corny and over-the-top sentimental. Swing, Swing, Swing sounded okay, but they just stood there for 3 minutes. Great guard, though.

I think part of your problem is that you take drum & bugle corps a bit too seriously. By which I mean that sometimes it's okay for a show to be corny, sentimental, and just plain fun. It doesn't always have to be super-heavy "hang-it-on-a-wall-and-call-it-art" drama. I think a little corniness is welcome from time to time, and I don't think Cadets '95 was anywhere close to being over-the-top, anyhow. They did exactly what they set out to do. And their version of Swing, Swing, Swing was one of the most entertaining charts ever.