2005 Off Season DCP-I/A Rules Congress

Good morning my fellow directors, I would like to welcome you to the opening meeting of the 2005 DCP-I/A Off Season Rules Congress! As most of you know this is a place for directors to come together and discuss the DCP-I organization and circuit as a whole, as well as get to know each other and just enjoy this activity that we all love.

As we enter our 5th season of competition, Steve and I are very excited, because even though this is season number 5, it is also the first season of the implementation of some new ideas. We will be implementing a new system for corps to register their competitive units, as well as new caption selections for each corps, we also have many new and exciting corps joining us for this upcoming season, and hopefuly with more to come! Also, it is a new beginning with the different organizations forming in our great activity, with FANFARE as well as M-A-P-S and others.... And we, as Executive Directors, hope that it will be a new beginning in the activeness of each and every corps.

As we begin this new season I would like to encourage all directors to be active in their corps season, and to actively recruit other potential directors to make our activity that much better. So let me thank the Atlantis Resort for their hospitality, and please everyone enjoy yourselves... Here is to new Beginnings!!

And without further adue, I would like to open up the floor for rules proposals, or any other presentations that would like to be made at this time. Again, enjoy yourselves this week!

Edited by CincinnatiGloryMello

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first batch of Fanfare rules proposals:

1: For championship week, prelims will be scored using generated scores. Quarterfinals, semis and finals will be scored with actual numbers. Additionally, Q, S, and F will run concurrently with DCI schedule.

Rationale: This will eliminate some of the uncertainty of scores during finals week, and will give a better sense of realism since our finals schedule will be aligned with the DCI finals schedule.

Submitted by Emerald Regime DBC

2: For the live season, the schedule will be based off of the actual DCI schedule.

Rationale: This will allow for a more realistic touring experience and will help to eliminate large travel distances.

Submitted by Kadence DBC

3: The Percussion Ensemble caption is hereby eliminated. The percussion caption is called "Music Percussion" and is the average score of both the Field Percussion and Percussion Ensemble from actual DCI shows.

Rationale: This will allow corps to more realistically resemble a "total-package" corps, and will also allow for reductions in caption points.

Submitted by Kosmos DBC

4: Division 1 corps shall start the season with 125 points.

Division 2 corps shall start the season with 95 points.

Division 3 corps shall start the season with 75 points.

The 1 point bonus after every 5 shows shall still apply.

Rationale: Eliminating the PE caption will make it possible to reduce the number of points available to directors.

Submitted by TriColor DBC

5: There will be an upper limit of Division 1 corps that can compete at each show, as to be determined by the executive director. It shall not necessarily be the same limit at each show. The ED shall inform

directors during the preseason when a show reaches capacity, so that directors may plan alternate schedules.

Rationale: This will eliminate shows that have only a few corps at

them, which will give everybody a more accurate idea of how they stack

up competitively.

Submitted by Mystre DBC

6: During finals week, caption changes will be due by noon.

Rationale: Makes it more convenient for directors to send in changes (esp. for west coast directors), and gives the ED more time to process the changes.

Submitted by The Spades DBC

Edited by Galen

The maximum number of shows a junior corps can perform in will be raised from 28 to 30 shows a season.

Rationale: This allows for more performance opportunities for corps. In addition, total bonus points that a corps can receive in a season will be rounded off to an even 6, instead of 5.6 points that corps receive currently.

Submitted by Shadow Mountain Marauders

Edited by chris7240

The first batch of Fanfare rules proposals:

1: For championship week, prelims will be scored using generated

scores. Quarterfinals, semis and finals will be scored with actual

numbers. Additionally, Q, S, and F will run concurrently with DCI

schedule.

Rationale: This will eliminate some of the uncertainty of scores during finals week, and will give a better sense of realism since our finals schedule will be aligned with the DCI finals schedule.

Submitted by Emerald Regime DBC

Love this one!

2: For the live season, the schedule will be based off of the actual

DCI schedule.

Rationale: This will allow for a more realistic touring experience and

will help to eliminate large travel distances.

Submitted by Kadence DBC

Meh... I could go either way on this one... this would eliminate a TON of home shows though...

3: The Percussion Ensemble caption is hereby eliminated.

Rationale: This will allow corps to more realistically resemble a

"total-package" corps, and will also allow for reductions in caption

points.

Submitted by Kosmos DBC

Again, I could go either way on this one as well... but which caption would be used for finals when they do use both perc. judges? Take the highest? The average?? Need some more specifics....

4: Division 1 corps shall start the season with 125 points.

Division 2 corps shall start the season with 95 points.

Division 3 corps shall start the season with 75 points.

The 1 point bonus after every 5 shows shall still apply.

Rationale: Eliminating the PE caption will make it possible to reduce

the number of points available to directors.

Submitted by TriColor DBC

If the other perc caption is gone, then sure.... this one should be a rider on the other proposal...

5: There will be an upper limit of Division 1 corps that can compete

at each show, as to be determined by the executive director. It shall

not necessarily be the same limit at each show. The ED shall inform

directors during the preseason when a show reaches capacity, so that

directors may plan alternate schedules.

Rationale: This will eliminate shows that have only a few corps at

them, which will give everybody a more accurate idea of how they stack

up competitively.

Submitted by Mystre DBC

It will be more work for me and Steve, but I like it...

6: During finals week, caption changes will be due by noon.[/b]

Rationale: Makes it more convenient for directors to send in changes

(esp. for west coast directors), and gives the ED more time to process

the changes.

Submitted by The Spades DBC

I can live with that...

Some good ideas.... Keep them coming.... remember, this is how we make our activity better!

Edited by CincinnatiGloryMello

Again, I could go either way on this one as well... but which caption would be used for finals when they do use both perc. judges? Take the highest? The average?? Need some more specifics....

I was specifically thinking that the "Field Percussion" caption would be the one that stays around (and would be renamed "Music Percussion" for our purposes); essentially, we'd be changing the scoring system back to the way it was in the first season.

Ok, I can deal with that, either just use the one, or use the overall percussion score (the average of the 2 when they use both judges)... either one would be fine by me...

I was specifically thinking that the "Field Percussion" caption would be the one that stays around (and would be renamed "Music Percussion" for our purposes); essentially, we'd be changing the scoring system back to the way it was in the first season.

A disagrement with FANFARE corps? Here is the first and most likely the only.

I'm for using the average. Percusion is one section and ensemble and field should be counted together and averaged and counted as Music Percussion.

The maximum number of shows a junior corps can perform in will be raised from 28 to 30 shows a season.

Rationale: This allows for more performance opportunities for corps. In addition, total bonus points that a corps can receive in a season will be rounded off to an even 6, instead of 5.6 points that corps receive currently.

Submitted by Shadow Mountain Marauders

I agree and it helps me with a future rule purposal.

3: The Percussion Ensemble caption is hereby eliminated.

Rationale: This will allow corps to more realistically resemble a

"total-package" corps, and will also allow for reductions in caption

points.

Submitted by Kosmos DBC

For the sake of a more realistic corps, I think this one needs to be passed. How can you win percussion or even have a decent line and win DCP- I with out changing the rule. This will also allow a corps to have their own identity. You can have a strong line and be an elite corps. With the points/ captions they way they are curently, a director can not have a strong percussion section and hope to place in the top 6.

Edited by bssop97

A disagrement with FANFARE corps? Here is the first and most likely the only.

I'm for using the average. Percusion is one section and ensemble and field should be counted together and averaged and counted as Music Percussion.

I'm for using the average as well. But if that is the case, isn't that currently what we have now? We have two percussion judges at regional shows, and DCP-I Championships--and from those two judges, the average score is the percussion score? But like many have said, it is always one judge from those two percussion judges who is the deciding factor for a corps to either win it all, or barely make finals. I'm partial to this one.

As it stands now, the scores for percussion ARE averaged, so in all honesty, we wouldnt be eliminated any judge if we took an average.