2005 Off Season DCP-I/A Rules Congress

I'm for using the average as well. But if that is the case, isn't that currently what we have now? We have two percussion judges at regional shows, and DCP-I Championships--and from those two judges, the average score is the percussion score? But like many have said, it is always one judge from those two percussion judges who is the deciding factor for a corps to either win it all, or barely make finals. I'm partial to this one.

As it stands now, the scores for percussion ARE averaged, so in all honesty, we wouldnt be eliminated any judge if we took an average.

Firstly, I officially changed the proposal to reflect what we're looking for.

Secondly, it would be still the average. We'd just get a "free caption", so to speak, because instead of having to pick 9 captions, we'd only have to pick 8. Whatever corps we pick for MP would essentially be duplicated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without further adieu, here is the summary of the Fanfare seminar that was conducted earlier today:

Fanfare is an organization of fantasy drum corps directors committed to growing and expanding the fantasy drum corps activity. Fanfare seeks to accomplish this by:

Sponsoring rules changes designed to spur growth and innovation within the activity.

Recruiting new directors and assisting with start-up corps.

Organizing and running preseason shows for fantasy corps to help generate new exposure for the activity.

We believe that as directors, it is our obligation to ensure the continuous growth of the activity.

I'm for using the average as well. But if that is the case, isn't that currently what we have now? We have two percussion judges at regional shows, and DCP-I Championships--and from those two judges, the average score is the percussion score? But like many have said, it is always one judge from those two percussion judges who is the deciding factor for a corps to either win it all, or barely make finals. I'm partial to this one.

As it stands now, the scores for percussion ARE averaged, so in all honesty, we wouldnt be eliminated any judge if we took an average.

Technically the way things are now... no... the percussion scores are not the average. For instance at finals lets say Cadets score a 19.5 in Perc Ens. and a 19.8 in Perc Field. If you pick cadets for one of your captions, you get that caption, not the average. What this does is eliminate the splitting of percussion captions... for example:

Currently, you can have Cadets for Perc Ens, and Mandarins for Perc Field, this rule would eliminate it (as long as I am understanding the proposal correctly). Also currently to get the percussion score for the Bluecoats one would have to spend 40 points to get it (20 for ens and 20 for field) with this change you would only have to spend 20 points.

That's what I was thinking, but I was on another path with part of the proposal. I do like the old way better (the first season), because you were better off picking one corps (i.e. The Cadets) that had a solid score, rather than trying to fix up something to gain points (i.e. Troopers and The Cavaliers). I would rather see one caption for percussion, and not the average in this case.

Technically the way things are now... no... the percussion scores are not the average. For instance at finals lets say Cadets score a 19.5 in Perc Ens. and a 19.8 in Perc Field. If you pick cadets for one of your captions, you get that caption, not the average. What this does is eliminate the splitting of percussion captions... for example:

Currently, you can have Cadets for Perc Ens, and Mandarins for Perc Field, this rule would eliminate it (as long as I am understanding the proposal correctly). Also currently to get the percussion score for the Bluecoats one would have to spend 40 points to get it (20 for ens and 20 for field) with this change you would only have to spend 20 points.

Fanfare proposal 7:

The top 12 corps from the previous season's finals will compete in a special "Masters of the DCPI Music Games". The Executive Director will be responsible for the date and location of this event.

Proposed by Mystre

Edited by Galen

Fanfare proposal 7:

The top 12 corps from the previous season's finals will compete in a special "Masters of the DCPI Music Games". The Executive Director will be responsible for the date and location of this event.

Proposed by Mystre

Ooooh I like this one. It obviously reminds me of the Murfreesboro, TN show. I think it would go great with the season, it would definitely help the other proposal about having a tour schedule similar to DCI.

Proposal: Eliminate the average from the percussion caption; and simply use the "Percussion Field" caption as the percussion score for the corps. Once eliminated, re-name the caption "Music Percussion"

Reason: This will allow the corps director to focus more on one caption, rather than trying to balance between two captions. As seen in DCI recaps, it is often times one judge from the two percussion captions that makes or breaks the corps placement. This will eliminate (for the most part) that problem, and offer an even playing ground for ALL corps. This will also help corps directors balance their points accordingly. In a sense you are getting more bang for your buck if you eliminate the percussion field caption, because you won't have to spend almost double the amount. (i.e. if you want to use Bluecoats for both percussion ensemble and field, you would have to spend 20 points both times--rather than spending 20 for using "Music Percussion"--option 2 sounds like a better deal).

2: For the live season, the schedule will be based off of the actual DCI schedule.

Rationale: This will allow for a more realistic touring experience and will help to eliminate large travel distances.

Submitted by Kadence DBC

Would this include not having shows such as the Frozen North, Pacific Rim Championship, etc.? If so, I'm not in favor of this proposal.

Would this include not having shows such as the Frozen North, Pacific Rim Championship, etc.? If so, I'm not in favor of this proposal.

I'm affraid it looks like that may be the case. If this proposal does pass, I don't see why we can't have a few "unsanctioned" DCP-I shows thrown into the mix. Not our fault you have a corps from Alaska :blink: (Just Kidding!)

The way I would like to see it. Lower 48 mimicks the DCI tour. We can keep the Euro, Pacific, and Frozen North tours too.

This is one of those on the fence purposals. Maybe all we need to do is make shows closer together, that way we can avoid 900 miles trip in one day. It makes no sense to have a contest in Boise the night before all corps have to be at either Allentown or Atlanta.

Also, I some of this is up to the director. Make a realistic tour, if you are a east coast corps and want to go out west, well plan for it.