2005 Off Season DCP-I/A Rules Congress

Instead of giving specific dates for caption changes (IE the 15th) we could always just say, caption changes are only accepted on Monday. If you e-mail changes on any day other than Monday (or whatever day(s) is decided) then they will not be accepted. Or say you can e-mail your caption changes on Friday and Saturday only, and they will ALL be implemented on Monday.... or something to that effect. Regionals and finals would be the exception, if the regional is on saturday, we would take changes on Thursday and Friday, and implement all on Saturday... just a though... and I know that would make it easier on me and Steve... that way we dont have to look and see... ok corps A is changing on Monday, then corp B on thursday, corps C on sunday... and so on.

As far as adding points in certain points of the season, I am cool with that. I can even go with the use them or lose them points... but honestly, if someone does not make changes in time and they 'lose' those points, then at finals they put their captions at the limit 145 points or whatever... that will make it harder on Steve and I to go back and say... did so and so use their points on this date....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also someone proposed a upper limit of corps that are allowed at each show. I like this idea, especially for regional and "open" shows for Div 2/3. Last season a majority of corps were at 1 show for the regionals. And I know for Div 2/3 that will skew the order of appearance for Finals, if we keep with the Open system for order of performance.... hmmm.... might be something to think about... how to determine order of performance for finals week.... :laugh:

Instead of giving specific dates for caption changes (IE the 15th) we could always just say, caption changes are only accepted on Monday. If you e-mail changes on any day other than Monday (or whatever day(s) is decided) then they will not be accepted. Or say you can e-mail your caption changes on Friday and Saturday only, and they will ALL be implemented on Monday.... or something to that effect. Regionals and finals would be the exception, if the regional is on saturday, we would take changes on Thursday and Friday, and implement all on Saturday... just a though... and I know that would make it easier on me and Steve... that way we dont have to look and see... ok corps A is changing on Monday, then corp B on thursday, corps C on sunday... and so on.

As far as adding points in certain points of the season, I am cool with that. I can even go with the use them or lose them points... but honestly, if someone does not make changes in time and they 'lose' those points, then at finals they put their captions at the limit 145 points or whatever... that will make it harder on Steve and I to go back and say... did so and so use their points on this date....

That is what I was going with. Two to Three days to send it in, takes effect on the same day. We have time to plan, if you have to be out of town, you can work with the ED.

As far as the later, I believe corps will notice that, much like the Div III situation at prelims. All you have to do is a list of corps that didn't submit changes.

So when does the voting start? next week?

Create a Preview of Champions show. The show would be in a prelims/finals format and would include the corps that makes regional finals. This can be done one of two ways.

Option A, the Preview of Champions can be held at the very beginning of the season and will include the previous seasons regional finalists.

Option B, the Preview of Champions can be held sometimes after the current seasons regional, but before finals.

Deciding when the show should take place can be left to a vote or to the Executive Director.

Rationale: More shows=good

Also, I'm partial to Option B.

Submitted by Shadow Mountain Marauders

Edited by chris7240

Create a Preview of Champions show. The show would be in a prelims/finals format and would include the corps that makes regional finals. This can be done one of two ways.

Option A, the Preview of Champions can be held at the very beginning of the season and will include the previous seasons regional finalists.

Option B, the Preview of Champions can be held sometimes after the current seasons regional, but before finals.

Deciding when the show should take place can be left to a vote or to the Executive Director.

Rationale: More shows=good

Also, I'm partial to Option B.

Submitted by Shadow Mountain Marauders

I think this would be great as an early season main show. Hold it somewhere central.

I've purposed a masters event with last seasons finalist in it.

This combo would be a nice early/late event.

Proposal: Eliminate the North, South, East, West regionals from occuring on the same date. Instead, all corps will compete at ALL regionals for that season. For the first regional only; the top 8 DCP-I finalist from the season before, will perform in the night show and will not need to perform in the morning show; and the top 4 corps from the morning show will advance to the night show. All succeeding regionals will follow this format, except: the top 8 from the previous regional (not necessarily the top 8 from the previous years finals) will perform in the night show, and will not need to perform in the morning; and the top 4 corps from the morning show will advance to the evening show.

*Now I know what many are thinking... "My corps wont have a chance to make finals at their 'home' regional now"--But I see this proposal as being more competitive in the long run.

Rationale:Having the corps compete together, gives everyone an understanding as to where they "stand" amongst their competition. This also allows for all corps to "sample" different regions as well. Having the regionals like this proposal suggests, is very competitive; although those top 8 get that night spot, they still have to earn it at the show before, but its those 4 from the morning who will have to vy as well. I would rather see us all doing the regionals at once, rather than 4 regionals going on at once. I know many will want to do their "southern" tour, or etc, and you can still do that, while incorporating other regionals into it.

Another sub proposal to this proposal: Every corps has to do at least 3 regionals of their choice, with their choice of 4th regional being optional. Should a corps from the top 8 or etc. not be present at a regional, the corps next in placement will fill that spot in the night show, and will not need to do the morning show.

BTW: Should any of these proposals regarding regionals and what have you pass... Silver Knights (Division I) from last year, is now a Division II corps, and they were 8th place at DCP-I Finals, so whoever was 9th place, will actually be able to have one night show, should this proposal pass.

Proposal: I have an idea about show scores. On the fantasy schedule there are about 4 to 5 shows a day. Just like in the “REAL” drum corps world, there are different judges at each show. That makes comparing scores from one show to the next irrelevant.

What I’m getting at is have our circuit have the same thing.

Of the shows for the day, the breakout can be as such:

Show 1 = -.50

Show 2 = -.25

Show 3 = Even

Show 4 = +.25

Show 5 = +.50

This would be up to Steve or Jeff as to what show got which judging panel.

The idea is that you have no idea who is beating whom until you meet at the same show.

Rational: It would be fun.

Proposal: I have an idea about show scores. On the fantasy schedule there are about 4 to 5 shows a day. Just like in the “REAL” drum corps world, there are different judges at each show. That makes comparing scores from one show to the next irrelevant.

What I’m getting at is have our circuit have the same thing.

Of the shows for the day, the breakout can be as such:

Show 1 = -.50

Show 2 = -.25

Show 3 = Even

Show 4 = +.25

Show 5 = +.50

This would be up to Steve or Jeff as to what show got which judging panel.

The idea is that you have no idea who is beating whom until you meet at the same show.

Rational: It would be fun.

I liked this idea when you presented it in the brainstorming thread. You would still be able to tell which show had what scores, by adding up the real scores for your captions and then subtracting .50 or .25, or adding the same. Unless I am missing something? But I like the idea, because it makes it more realistic, and it keeps us competitive, until you meet with a certain corps to find out where you really stack up! Good idea Bill!!!!