Best Contra Show?

I know this topic was buried for a little while but I can't believe what I'm reading. The Cadets contra lines are one of only 3 that I always notice for having incredible drill and musical responsiblities and pulling it off. The Blue Devil lines are good playing wise but honestly how hard is drill when you stay in between the same people the whole show or when your intervals don't change the show or whatever there doing over there. I give my props to the Cavies, Cadets, SCV, and Phantom lines because when you watch the demand there lines have you really feel bad for those guys. But they make it look really good and easy.

hahah, you have no idea. I dont think you really pay much attention to the BD contra lines if you are willing to say such things.

How silly! In fact, I know you dont pay much attention to that section if you say such things. Take a closer look. b**bs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1979 Spirit of Atlanta Hands down. I am not bias. BOOOWHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Took the words right out of my mouth!

The mothership has landed!!

If my memory serves me correctly, there was actually some pretty gross playing involved with that gimmick.

my top 3 for DCI would be in no particular order

1991 Star of Indiana

1996 Phantom Regiment

2005 Phantom Regiment

and my top pick for DCA would have to be

2005 Reading Buccaneers

If my memory serves me correctly, there was actually some pretty gross playing involved with that gimmick.

*waggles hand back & forth* for my money the badness was mostly some really bad attacks....but then they had a nice exposed run that made up for it.

OK guys, time to add my 2 cent's worth to this discussion.

I've been a contra player since '79. I've marched DCI Class A, DCI Top 12, DCA Top 12 and Alumni corps and I'm still marching/playing (when I can) with Blessed Sac & Bracken Cavaliers Alumni. I've also got drum corps recordings going back to 1948, which I listen to almost daily. So, I've heard more corps & contra lines than most people have, and when I listen to a corps, I like to hear the contra line clearly.

Alot of corps have fielded truly outstanding contra lines over the years. But, the over-all best-ever contra line may never be recognized simply because their line was never heard clearly, or they were just given really crappy music to play. Remember, late 60's thru mid 70's, a 4 person contra line was pretty much the norm & 6-8 the norm from mid. 70's thru mid/late 80's. You can tell that they're there, but they don't stand out at all unless the drill brings them to the front line. Incredible talent and outstanding music won't get them on the list if no one ever really got to hear them. Older recording technology being lousey with the contra's range doesn't help either. Add to that the fact that we pretty much used to spend the whole show stuck behind the drum line.

So, the question of "The Best Contra Line" really can't be answered. The question has to be changed to: 'Who had the the best contra line that could really be heard clearly?'. Even with this, there is no one right answer. It's all a matter of opinion.

Now, with all that in mind, here are my opinions:

The Best Contra Line:

1978 Rhode Island Matadors

followed closely by

1989 Phantom

2003 Phantom

1987 SCV

1989 Star of Indiana

1982 Crossmen

The Best Contra Solo:

1980 27th Lancers 'Open Wide'.

followed by

1978 North Star 'Sir Duke'.

The Best Contra Music Written But Barely Heard:

1990 Reading Bucs 'Return of the Rainmaker'.

The Best Contra Made:

King K-90

Well, that's my 2 cent's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

'88 BD was one of the most pure sounding lines I've experienced. Early '90's Star also. I agree with the post about BD's lack of difficulty marching though, but hey, it seems to not have hurt them too much.

From a personal stand point, I loved the '90 Freelancer line (my line). We had 12, and it was a STRONG 12. Not as polished as BD or Star maybe, but we could definitely be felt. I had a lot of fun marching with that line and loved our book that year. I'm proud of the fact we pulled off a pretty tough lick in the Batman opener while practically sprinting backwards for about about 25 yards. Hard work at the time, but makes me proud today.

Edited by toddcontra

KING K-90 is the best Contra ever made........cause thats the first one i ever played and it was awesome.

Best Contra Line that I ever heard live (besides 97-98 troopers and 99 BK) was the 1999 Cavaliers. I sat and listened to them warm up one night, and they were incredible.

I woud even go out on a limb and argue that 98--Present Cavie contra lines have been FANTASTIC.

Best looking Contra Line: SCV. Especially 1997. BAD ###.

Best Contra Drill: CADETS