Not Marching DCA After Ageing Out

one other pehnomenon i have noticed and was surprised wasn't mentioned on here:

many DCI aged kids are now doing DCA...more than ever. A good number of them then go on to DCI.

it is these kids I think that have an understanding of both that wiull be the first generation to really, in a true cross country kind of way, carry the torch back over when they age out

That's exactly what I did. I tried DCA for two reasons:

a. I never did drum corps before, and I wanted to see if it was something I wanted to do for an entire summer.

b. I wanted to see if I had the chops to even make it in DCI.

It didn't take me long to get my answers. When I realized that I didn't want to go home from corps on the weekend, I realized DCI was my next logical step. Then, when my pit tech told me he wanted to see me in a junior corps the following summer, I tried it, made it, and marched two seasons with Capital Regiment.

DCA is a perfect first step for kids that are thinking of trying junior corps, but either don't have the funds or experience to jump in feet first to the junior corps scene.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of us swore never to do senior corps, but I'll bet most of them will start being bitter about DCI in 30 years, and THEN they'll go to DCA, and my kids will ##### like I am right now about the lack of respect my generation has for theirs. And the twisted circle will continue.

Betting that a lot of todays marchers who think Drum Corps is great today will be b-wording in 15-20 years about the changes made between 2005-2020/2025. And they're probably be using the same phrases we're reading today. (Except for MikeD :P )

:P ####, it's a safe bet as I heard the same things 30 years ago......

Also after sitting thru DCA Prelims with a person who doesn't know that much about DC (my wife), I saw things with a fresh perspective. (Thanks Kris for your 1000 or so questions.) Just like Div II/III has a different outlook on DC compared to Div I, so do the corps in DCA. I saw everything from new corps there for the experience to corps going for pure entertainment to corps shooting for perfection on the field. My point is if anyone doesn't like what one Sr corps is trying to achieve, maybe there is another that would be a better fit.

Betting that a lot of todays marchers who think Drum Corps is great today will be b-wording in 15-20 years about the changes made between 2005-2020/2025. And they're probably be using the same phrases we're reading today. (Except for MikeD :P )

:ph34r:

I hope I never turn into one of the bitter old timers (a state of mind, not an age, really) who whine and complain about how drum corps is different than it used to be. I am glad it is different...it just gets better and better, IMO.

Mike

:ph34r:

I hope I never turn into one of the bitter old timers (a state of mind, not an age, really) who whine and complain about how drum corps is different than it used to be. I am glad it is different...it just gets better and better, IMO.

Mike

Heh, I just remind myself that I only have to say "I don't like it" ONE time.....

Then I shut up so everyone else can enjoy it.

IMO Div I, Div II/III and DCA are all going into diferent directions. Instead of an "apples and oranges" comparison maybe it should be "apples, oranges and bananas". b**bs

When I was done competing with the Cadets, I never wanted to march competitively again...which included DCA.

That's my reason for not marching DCA.

Similar story, except I never want to march on a football field again. Well, not so much that I don't want to, but I think it's time to move on with life and end my marching career on the field at DCI World Championships. Not a shabby way to go out if you ask me.

I have nothing against senior corps though. If that's your cup of tea then I support it completely, it's just not mine.

3) The midwest senior circuit is growing, but I am still a bit baffled by the lack of competitive senior corps in the greater Chicago area. There are some wonderful corps growing to the north of you in Wisconsin, and of course, MBI in Minnesota is a powerhouse year after year. But I do see your point about Chicago. Has there ever been an attempt at a senior corps there, beside the Royal Airs alumni.

There have been a couple Senior groups from the Chicago area that I remember seeing:

late 70's: Chicago Connection - Chicago style gangsters including carrying a tommy gun instead of a rifle in the American flag section.

late 80's / early 90's: - Vanguard - I believe this was somehow connected to the old Des Plaines Vanguard (DCI Finalist in 1972). Similar uniforms and style.

With all the great corps large and small that have existed over the years in the greater Chicagoland area (and not that far away in places like Rockford), you would think that there would be one or more active seniors competing.

Poo,

I'll get to work on him.. :) maybe I can convince him that Sr. corps for a weekend would be just as much fun as a Cubs series at Wrigley.. (probably not.. but I will work on him) You just have the Captain ready and I bet I can get him to consider it.. :P

:) I've got a year!

Stef

LOL!!! You know me too well Stef! But NOTHING beats a weekend in the bleachers at Wrigley.

Tell you what, proposition; move DCA Championship weekend to the Midwest:

1) I would go

2) Others would go to just check it out. Could be major recruiting campaign for DCA.

To add a few more items to my original post; several people have sent me PM's regarding The Royal Airs as an option. I guess I should have said that there was a lack of "competative" Senior Corps in the Chicago Area.

Secondly, I think overall people in the Midwest ( and west I suppose) feel that Senior Corps is mostly an "East Coast" thing. Has the Championships ever been outside the east?

Lastly, just by reading numerous posts throughout the years here on DCP, I noticed that there are a lot of anti-DCI opinions out there amoungst the DCA ranks. I disagree with some of the things the DCI has done but overall drum corps would not be as successful today if DCI wasn't here. Imagine if VFW and Amer. Legion were still running things.

one other pehnomenon i have noticed and was surprised wasn't mentioned on here:

many DCI aged kids are now doing DCA...more than ever. A good number of them then go on to DCI.

it is these kids I think that have an understanding of both that wiull be the first generation to really, in a true cross country kind of way, carry the torch back over when they age out

Jeff's post hit it right on the head !

I can attest to the fact that for the last 15-20 years, many members of MBI have started with us and then gone on to march with DCI corps. MBI has made a point of acting as that kind of break-in group, giving kids the chance to enjoy the experience before going on to DCI corps.

As one of the dinosaurs around here, I can verify that in many cases, jr. corps kids, fans, and families had plenty of reasons to NOT like all-age corps. You can ask anyone familiar with MBI throughout the 70's and 80's, that we weren't the most positive influence on prospective age-outs joining our numbers. But as the activity changed and evolved, so did MBI and many of the other DCA corps. In MBI's case, they HAD to, in order to maintain some resemblance of competitiveness. As is well documented, they had to learn to adapt to a more DCI style of program in order to qualify for show fees in DCM, and the result over the last 20 years is what you see today. Many of our alumni have shown disdain for some of the ways the product has changed, myself included, but as a reasonable person I understand that most of these changes have made the organization AND the activity better...not just for MBI, but for all of the all-age corps.

I feel bad for the guy in Chicago, having seen the state of senior corps there over the last 30 years.

I think it was always a matter of how serious a program they wanted to run, versus how much 'adult' fun they wanted to have. What will happen in the future? I am anxious to see.

To Hornline Diva:

Don't rule us out yet. In any type of tradition steeped activity, there will always be those that question the progress, and long for the 'good old days'. That's human nature!

DCA is on the cusp of its future and is trying to manage evolution along with retaining the heritage of our activity, both the good and the bad... I mean, nothing is perfect. But I think that all-age is defintiely a viable option for those who have to balance the necessities of life, and the love of drum corps. You might want to reconsider it. No flames if you don't, but don't crucify us if you choose not to. You still love drum corps, in you own way...It's all good ($1 to Lee Rudnicki)

Pat

By the way, look at my sig...Never marched junior corps, but I learned to accept my place in the grand scheme.

other than a director or three, not many

true...but if the threads are still around about that subject, there were quite a few current--or by now past--jr corps members who loved the idea....of course without realizing that around the time one is 20 or 21, real life gets in the way....and by the time one is 25, there's just no time for three months of touring without seeing home unless you're single and/or don't work or go to school.