Funniest Performance Moments

Sweendoc

While marching with the Vagabonds from Stratford, NJ we were at the Seahorse Lancers contest, the exit number was just starting, the drum judge had been in a kneeling position listening to the drummers and didn't notice one of our rifle carriers with the rifle tucked under her arm with the butt out, well it hit him right in the head, and it knocked the rifle right out of her hands, the judge picked himself up, along with the rifle, and didn't know weather to run up to the drummers and finish or take the rifle over the sidelines then catch up. He did the second and by the time he got back to the drummers they were allready over the finish line. We also took first in drums that night.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA Prelims 2003: watching a loudly vocal anti-Brigadier get punched out at the start of the Brigadiers' performance ^0^

oh wow...thats funny

I believe it was 1971 and Edmund Muskee was running for President or Vice-President. Our corps had the honor of playing for his arrival in Buffalo. We are all set up in the street, we see the police car leading the limo and as it approached we began playing....problem.....it was a funeral!

I guess it was good practice for when the Senator finally arrived 10 minutes later.

You can clearly hear the incident on the prelims DVD right at the start of our show.

oh man, some ones gotta send me this

I was a newbie in Drum Corps for this one, (Jeff Ream PLEASE chime in here) but what about the 1980 Westshoremen and the Doves?

I was a newbie in Drum Corps for this one, (Jeff Ream PLEASE chime in here) but what about the 1980 Westshoremen and the Doves?

AAARRGGGHHHH!!! <Funny as #### later thou....>

First year out of the corps and got to see it happen from the stands. Corps had a huge American flag that was unfurled at the end of the show (Impossible Dream). For Finals a few cases of doves were supposed to be released and fly out from under the flag. Great idea and a few doves did take off... BUT!!!! When the corps went off the field the flag was taken away and the crowd could see that most of the feathered rats were just walking around the field.

Scattered images:

Talking to one of our bus drivers after Prelims and asking why he had cases of something in his truck. The response was "If I tell ya, I gotta kill ya".

Head Judge Walt Kelly walking around, shotting his starters pistol playing Moses parting the dove sea. The doves would scatter one way, Walt would chase 'em and they'd go back to where they were 30 seconds before. People from the stands screaming "Get 'em Walt!!"

My mom asking "What happens if Walt runs out of blanks?"

Sunrisers getting ready to come out and getting delayed big time. Westshore members running out to scoop up the doves before the corps gets a penalty. Corps was shooting for it's first top 5 finish ever.

Mark Plotz, WSM DM coming out for retreat really slow. He had a dove on each shoulder.

Next year WSM souvie was a hooded sweatshirt with a Dove on the sleeve with the #5 on the wing.

Hey Jeff, Fran and other folks - we gotta get a thread or something up to get these scattered memories together. Maybe a write it down at the Alumni practice.

I remember the dove incident with Westshore. What a hoot! I think Sunrisers filed a formal protest against us for interfering with their performance field. Mark Plotts was not the only drum major with a dove on shoulders during retreat, I believe Jim Russo and others did the same! I also remember the doves doing their business on everyone's uniforms too. The bird shirts next year were a big hit at the souvie stands, I bought 2 of them eventhough I only marched 1980. Wow, those shirts were size M, wonder what happened since then, now a size XXL!