If it was said once it needs to be said again

I have a friend who believes that since drum corps changes over time every once in a while a show and corps comes along that is as good as drum corps can be.

84 Garfield

87 Garfield

93 Star

All of these shows maxed out what drum corps could be at the time.

2002 Cavaliers is on this list. It still is the best drum corps performance, of the best drum corps product of all time.

It was very noticable at the Classic Countdown last spring. They were just on a different planet than everyone else. Even 2000 Cadets, who were the closet one in time, were obviously inferior.

I have a question for those of you who say it lacks emotion. How do you measure that? Is it how it makes you feel when you watch it, because if it is I know how I felt when I watched The Cavaliers in 02. It made me happy to watch them. They were just too good.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

02 is the best show to date in my book.

I would say it's more of a visual show than music show. Just listening you couldn't tell why the crowd went nuts for no reason in the middle of a phrase that has nothing going on musically. Or why the crowd went crazy during the drum solo...b/c it's wasn't anything amazing musically happening. But the music was like accenting the drill.

That's what I got from the show.

I have a question for those of you who say it lacks emotion. How do you measure that? Is it how it makes you feel when you watch it, because if it is I know how I felt when I watched The Cavaliers in 02. It made me happy to watch them. They were just too good.

Well, like anything else, it's subjective.

My favorite show of all time is BD 1986. Would that even come close to the Cavaliers 2002 production on the sheets? Of course not.

However, certain things still push my buttons with 86 BD that the Cavaliers show just can't do. I have no problem appreciating the visual aesthetic, or even the original music from that production...but Channel One is something else entirely.

The best way I can describe "it" is at the very end of the BD show, they show a close up of a contra player. His face is dripping sweat, and he looks like he could burn a hole through lead, and after the end of that show, you "feel" it with him. Much like the emotional resonance of Star 1993 or Garfield 1987, it's that connection between performer and spectator that is the 'certain something' that special shows have. It's why Phantom Regiment in the past few years has been lauded with such praise, why the Madison Scouts of the mid-90's are so well loved, and why the late 80's BD corps are almost universally liked as well.

It's a difficult thing to put a finger on...but when it hits, both the drum corps "average joe" and the drum corps connoisseur can tell. B)

I would have to say in my opinion that 2005 Cadets is better than Cavaliers 2002. Even though they both had the same score in finals the fact that Cavaliers drumline was not even in the top 3 of percussion kind of throws a big wrench into me being able to think of them as the best show ever.

I think the Frameworks music was great (yes, I know, I already stated that).

Such a great integration of drill and music. More so than any other show, when I listen to the CD, I see the visuals. It's almost as though I don't need to watch the DVD to get the full experience -- after watching the show a couple of times, just hearing the music brings the visual to life.

Am I making sense?

Edited by Cache_Money

This is tough, "best".....

For me '80 BD was the pinnacle of "old school" drum corps although many BD people will tell you that they thought '82 was better.

Since then, I have to go with the show that broke the mold and from which all others have followed

'83 Cadets

There is nothing like the first time. No show since has left me stunned and amazed by what I was seeing. In some way every show that has been done since then was a build on the ideas they put on the field first.

I fully recognize the excellence and originality that went into Frameworks but I don't see it as innovative.

The Cadet's show made a revolutionary leap that forever changed the activity. If you saw that show live you knew instantly that everything had just changed and there would be no going back.

'84 and '87 were awesome shows but they were a refinement of the original idea.

I could possibly agree w/their 2000 show!~

I honestly have only come across a few people that I've ever heard say that they didn't like Niagara Falls. Some may say it should be a second place show, but only a few really dislike it. I remember one person saying that they didn't like it because of "TRY and find a major chord in that show!" I remember just looking at that post and shaking my head.