If it was said once it needs to be said again

I would have to say in my opinion that 2005 Cadets is better than Cavaliers 2002. Even though they both had the same score in finals the fact that Cavaliers drumline was not even in the top 3 of percussion kind of throws a big wrench into me being able to think of them as the best show ever.

The corps was indeed third in Music Percussion, and a very close one at that. You can't have a bum percussion line and still break 99 points. Cadets were first in Music Percussion and SCV was second.

Mike

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, it's good, but it's just never been my cup of tea -- i could make all of the old "no melody" arguments, but those really wouldn't be true. it just didn't excite me all that much -- the music, to me, didn't even begin to compare to the drill.

and i'm a music guy. so sue me.

same here. when i hear 8th notes being dirty at finals in a drum break...really, to me that's a sign the drill came first

I just checked out 2002 Cavaliers and that show is the most all around show ever. I'm really old school (pre-1988) compared to some of you whippersnappers but I have to go with Frameworks as the best ever.

As far as I'm concerned, you are absolutely right!

I will agree that it is the best performance ever. The drill was amazing. The drums and Horns were on the dot in every aspect...there is energy, excitement and tons of precision executions. I love the music but it does lack some passion/heart in the music...(Not as a diss, but I wonder if being an all-male corps hinders their emotional connection with the audience?)

Santa Clara Vanguard 1999 is the epitimy of a great show to me :huh:

Edited by KevinSop85

The music has to be able to stand on it's own like this year's Cadets. They were excellent; visually and musically. I still believe 2000 was the Cavalier's best show this decade.

You know, the more ive been listening to the CD's the more i am inclined to say that the Cadets '05 hornline is the best in many years, including greats like Cadets '01 and Cavies '02...probably since PR '96 i would say. Their sound was just phenomenal, i love it.

And i agree, i think that while 2002 was cleaner and possibly more "groundbreaking," in terms of just pure, raw drum corps and entertainment ill take 2000.

I remember one person saying that they didn't like it because of "TRY and find a major chord in that show!" I remember just looking at that post and shaking my head.

There are majors chords in 2000.

1997 is tougher. I don't think there is a major chord until the closer....but it's one of my favourite (and most underrated IMO) Cavaliers shows.

I believe that Frameworks was exremely difficult, no doubt about that. The show lacked emotional sophistication that their "007" show had. The 2002 show was limp and sterile. There were some really neat things that happened in that show. There are other things that I can't get into to, being here at work. But listen to the CD and the applause is just polite throughout the show til the fight club and then the ending. Then listen to something like Phantom Regiemnt 1993 with multiple standing ovations or Scouts 1995 where you could barely hear the corps and that will tell you that 2002 won cause it was clean but not the crowd favorite. Personally, I thought there were better written shows in 2002, but Cavies were just simply cleaner.

No, there were no better designed shows that year, or any other year for that matter.

i'll choose to disagree. if a show isn't exciting or emotionally engaging, how can it be "the best designed show of all time"?