Did the Bluecoats challenge your thinking?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm, if it was cheese, then it was a nice colby jack melted atop the meaty burger of the rest of the show. :ph34r:

Well the rest of the show was a good burger, but the amped drum chant left me with a bad taste. :spit: I couldn't figure out what it had to do with their program concept. It just seemed like a cheap gimmick.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

The Bluecoats have lots of fans, heck I really really enjoy the corps, BUT they are just now becomming a serious contender for the top 5. So, you could take my comment in a couple ways: maybe that they want the judges to like them (VERY true), maybe that they want fans to like them (MORE true), however, it just seemed really gimmicky to me, and I personally didn't like it. A lot like when someone tries to hard to fit in.

As far as amps this past season...there were MUCH worse, but there were also much better. I've just yet to hear amped vocals that did anything other than make me cringe. Now, vocals on the field can be very effective (see BAC 2000 for a fairly recent example).

Just my two cents though. I can accept amps, when used intelligently they can enhance the pit performance, but when people start speaking their music, or trying to sing...just, no.

Hard for me to figure why so many folks were so accepting of Bluecoats voices while critical of others. Was the tabla speak (table dance?) fundamentally different from say Crown's singing a year ago?

Think about it. Coats weren't like Cadets whose drumspeak was a gimmick (a great gimmick, but still a gimmick). Nor was it like Blue Devils where the narration was fundamental to the design. Coats were merely amplifying an instrument in the corps, albiet that instrument was a human voice.

How is that different from Crown? Coats and Crown both might have substituted brass or percussion for the voice parts. Lots of people think that would have made Crown's show better. Wouldn't the same be true for Coats?

My own opinion was the Coats tabla/table/whatever was a bit of a head-scratcher. I didn't so much dislike it as not get it. It challenged me, but not about amps.

The Bluecoats have lots of fans, heck I really really enjoy the corps, BUT they are just now becomming a serious contender for the top 5. So, you could take my comment in a couple ways: maybe that they want the judges to like them (VERY true), maybe that they want fans to like them (MORE true), however, it just seemed really gimmicky to me, and I personally didn't like it. A lot like when someone tries to hard to fit in.

As far as amps this past season...there were MUCH worse, but there were also much better. I've just yet to hear amped vocals that did anything other than make me cringe. Now, vocals on the field can be very effective (see BAC 2000 for a fairly recent example).

Just my two cents though. I can accept amps, when used intelligently they can enhance the pit performance, but when people start speaking their music, or trying to sing...just, no.

Ok, you have your own opinion about the quality of the amplified vocals. That's fine. But there was still no desperation by the Bluecoats to be liked or accepted by anyone, be it fans OR judges. You've got it all wrong. Actually it's pretty much the opposite. If anything it was a huge risk, and they knew that. Their corps director and the rest of the staff are well aware of how controversal amps are in general. And to me it is rediculous that anyone thinks that amplified vocals somehow make them the judge's pet. Cavaliers won in 2004 without them and Phantom got bumped up to third place this year without them. If I can understand that, the folks that run the Bluecoats certainly understand that. They're very smart people.

Ok, you have your own opinion about the quality of the amplified vocals. That's fine. But there was still no desperation by the Bluecoats to be liked or accepted by anyone, be it fans OR judges. You've got it all wrong. Actually it's pretty much the opposite. If anything it was a huge risk, and they knew that. Their corps director and the rest of the staff are well aware of how controversal amps are in general. And to me it is rediculous that anyone thinks that amplified vocals somehow make them the judge's pet. Cavaliers won in 2004 without them and Phantom got bumped up to third place this year without them. If I can understand that, the folks that run the Bluecoats certainly understand that. They're very smart people.

I really did not want to bring this up, but when the topic of the Bluecoats and use of the amplification (Of any kind) come up.....I get a very stirred up feeling inside.

A couple of seasons ago at DCI East in Allentown I walked around souvenir row and was so happy to see ANTI AMP tee shirts being sold at this one booth......and just try to guess which booth.....yup...Bluecoats.

So......I have little trouble with folks who don't like what the Bluecoats did with amplification this past season. I mean......they should not be using them at all.....and the same goes for the Cavies who also held strong opinions against amps......

Let me just say that I have always liked the Bluecoats......no doubt they are first class organization......

Its just that when a corps staff says one thing and does something else....well.....I don't like that much......... :laugh:

Triple Forte

PS I don't like the use of amps or narration at all......

Edited by Triple Forte

I really did not want to bring this up, but when the topic of the Bluecoats and use of the amplification (Of any kind) come up.....I get a very stirred up feeling inside.

A couple of seasons ago at DCI East in Allentown I walked around souvenir row and was so happy to see ANTI AMP tee shirts being sold at this one booth......and just try to guess which booth.....yup...Bluecoats.

So......I have little trouble with folks who don't like what the Bluecoats did with amplification this past season. I mean......they should not be using them at all.....and the same goes for the Cavies who also held strong opinions against amps......

Let me just say that I have always liked the Bluecoats......no doubt they are first class organization......

Its just that when a corps staff says one thing and does something else....well.....I don't like that much......... :laugh:

Triple Forte

PS I don't like the use of amps or narration at all......

Except that their corps admin, at least the director, is different than it was then. Why would you expect a corps to be locked into a position forever just because they had a particular position once before?

Mike

Except that their corps admin, at least the director, is different than it was then. Why would you expect a corps to be locked into a position forever just because they had a particular position once before?

Mike

Because this poster is clearly uninformed. This topic has been brought up many times.