Explain VK scores to a brass guy.

I have been watching the Classic Countdown DVD off and on since I got it several months ago. Some unbelievable performances.

The 1992 Velvet Knights show finished 10th that year. Now that show is all that it was billed to be -- one of the most entertaining shows of all time.

Now I am a brass guy. I barely know what a rudiment is -- and on a good day I would know which end of a stick to hold.

But I watch that show and say to myself, "how did that finish 10th?" I guess I have seen and heard 3rd or 4th place shows that didn't seem as good.

Now please, don't read the caption scores to me -- I have looked at them. It seems the drill is very well executed. Very little standing still. The score seems full. The brass book seems to be decent and from what I can tell from the DVD, the horns seem to play it well.

I have watched the feet, and the execution as best I can on the DVD. If it is a percussion thing, I might understand if someone explains. Or was it just a bias against "non-serious" shows (that now get Disney Awards -- yea Jersey Surf).

Jim

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching the Classic Countdown DVD off and on since I got it several months ago. Some unbelievable performances.

The 1992 Velvet Knights show finished 10th that year. Now that show is all that it was billed to be -- one of the most entertaining shows of all time.

Now I am a brass guy. I barely know what a rudiment is -- and on a good day I would know which end of a stick to hold.

But I watch that show and say to myself, "how did that finish 10th?" I guess I have seen and heard 3rd or 4th place shows that didn't seem as good.

Now please, don't read the caption scores to me -- I have looked at them. It seems the drill is very well executed. Very little standing still. The score seems full. The brass book seems to be decent and from what I can tell from the DVD, the horns seem to play it well.

I have watched the feet, and the execution as best I can on the DVD. If it is a percussion thing, I might understand if someone explains. Or was it just a bias against "non-serious" shows (that now get Disney Awards -- yea Jersey Surf).

Jim

Hey Jim,

The question would be. . . who should they have finished ahead of?

1992 was a GREAT year for many many drum corps. . . especially in brass. . .

Hey Jim,

Chuck,

That is a GREAT question. My memory is not that good and I don't have the Legacy DVDs.

Maybe someone else can help me (boy I wish I could afford all the Legacy DVDs!)

Jim

Hey Jim,

That is a pretty good question.

Looking over the recaps on FromthePressbox, VK was pretty much consistently a 10th place corps across the board during finals week that year, and the spreads between them and the corps who finished right above and below them didn't really change that much either.

I have the top 12 VHS set and watch them often also attended finals that year. Entertaining as all get out, but so were the rest of the top 12. Freelancers and Bluecoats were really good in 12th and 11th. IMHO BK's most entertaining and one of their most solid years brike 90 for 9th, Phantom probably had the best 8th place show ever, SCV was great with Fiddler in 7th, Crossmen's best year ever IMHO in 6th, City of Angels was great of Madison in 5th, When A Man Loves A Woman in 4th, Star's patriotic show in 3rd, Cadets were their usual selves in 2nd, and the Cavies were fantastic in first. That is why I think 1992 has to be considered as one of if the not the best year in DCI history. That year I also loved Sky Ryders, Marauders, and was the year of one of my all-time favorite and little talked about Southwind with Robin Hood. That bell choir part leading into the solo and company front was tremendous. I watched them practice in Camp Randall on Wednesday and got gooses bumps, then they blew me away with emotion the next day in quarters.

Check it out www.madisonscouts.org/media/Southwind/1992/

Edited by cage

Well, I agree that 1992 was a very good year. However, if you took a decible meter to the crowd response, hands down VK gets the best, the longest and the loudest ovation for their show.

However, there is nothing in the scoring system to recognize that aspect. A mistake in my opinion.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Simply put, there were nine other corps who performed better that year, and it was an incredible group of finalists from first to twelfth. Which corps do you think they ought to have beaten?

I agree with VK's placement. I was there in 1992 (man, I'm old) and it was my first exposure to drum corps. I had nothing to compare it to, but now, looking back on '92, it was one of the most amazing, magical years in drum corps history. I seemed like EVERY corps had a great show. In another year, maybe VK places better, but not in '92.

We can only dream that 2006 is as good as 1992.

Do you think there was any bias because they thumbed their noses at the judges and did a "fun" show instead of a serious show?

Ok, so 1 to 9 was strong ... so was VK.

Any chance Jersey Surf will every win Div 2? Or will they just always be the Disney award winners.

Impulse was formed by people from the Bridgemen and VK. But even they have discovered that they need to be more serious to score better. People have complained because Impulse was to be the next VK -- but that is impossible if you want to survive it seems. I love Impulse and Jersey Surf.

And personally, I don't want to hear obscure Tchaikovsky or Shostakovich pieces just to score better. Now I know that is not always true, and corps like The Cavies have won performing well know movie music (007) etc.

Sorry, I just watch that show and LOVE it. I watch the 2002 Cavies and MARVEL at it. But nothing seems to be as entertaining as the VK show. I guess I should be glad they finished in the top 12 so that they were filmed!

Jim