Throwing Babies

Along the topic of babies in drum corps (not necessarily throwing them)...

Scott Stewart's idea behind the general flow of the 1995 Madison Scouts show had to do with babies:

The opener (El Toro Caliente) is to make the babies cry.

The ballad (Concierto De Aranjuez) is to make the babies stop crying.

The drum feature (La Danza Pasillo) is to make the babies dance in the aisles.

The closer (Malaga) is to blow the babies over the top of the stands.

Well, I was pregnant with my 2nd child at that time and will say I truly enjoyed that show! It is one of the best shows as far as sheer excitment I have seen in a long time. My unborn son heard it so much as we watched Madison practice not far from where I live. Today, when I play that show he says, I know this! b**bs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added the above for a few reasons: 1. I've seen Charlie make all of these faces; 2) I am so old-we called him the drum instructor and not the "caption head"; 3) Reasons that should not be spoken of...it was a long time ago! However he was the caption head when you marched.....and when I marched, we just never used that term I guess.

No I was being sarcastic, not you!

But you said it, what a person, what an instructor and what a friend!

Lol. I think the high-fallutin' "caption head" started creeping into usage when I marched, which was just about when a lot of changes started taking place in drum and bugle corps. We certainly would not have used it in direct conversations - he was indeed the "drum instructor."

I loved hearing that babies phrase, anyway. It's a good memory for me.

Edited by RickCogley

Lol. I think the high-fallutin' "caption head" started creeping into usage when I marched, which was just about when a lot of changes started taking place in drum and bugle corps. We certainly would not have used it in direct conversations - he was indeed the "drum instructor."

I loved hearing that babies phrase, anyway. It's a good memory for me.

Yes, I believe you're right, around your time it people became "techs", "caption heads", etc. It sounds right, I'm just not used to thinking of it like that.....

I love when he takes his hat off to you in the anniversary video, (paraphrasinghere) and he said the corps went on while it was still light out, the corps didn't normally do that, and the drum line scored a 19.7 (?I think)....then he said I told them that night in my eyes they're were champions and will always be champions, to this day when I see them I let them know that...something to that affect. And you are :worthy:

I love that part....you can almost feel him get teary eyed, you don't see Charlie, you feel him, I think you know what I mean. He wears his heart on his sleeve!

Edited by LancerFi

...there was a note on a locker for a band member to "make them throw babies".....wow. I have heard the expression... How prevalent is this phrase? can anyone give some origin to this?

Don't know the origin but the term was more aptly utilized in drum corps' heyday (mid 70's to mid 80's) when crowd pleasure and response was a factor in show "design".

Oh the days when whole crowds would ... :worthy:

It's a term I've heard used by many different people in many different organizations.

It's a little overused, IMO, and I mostly just get annoyed when I hear it now.