Drum Corps Source Music

Drum corps has especially made me a huge fan of both Pat Metheny and Don Ellis.

I listened to the original of Roots of Coincidence by Metheny in excess for the first time yesterday, and it blew me away. Too bad that Bluecoats '06 only used the second half of the material, and only one of the themes in it....the first half is AMAZING, and would be incredible on the field.

I think Bawker said that last year before the '06 season, that the Bluecoats would have something incredible on their hands if they used all the rock stuff in the first half of the piece. Now having listened, I definitely agree with him.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samuel Barber's music. Everyone probably heard Adagio for Strings before drum corps, but I went out and bought Prayers of Kierkegaard and Symphonies 1&2 after hearing SCV play excerpts from those pieces. Same thing with Song Without Words and Dargason from '89 Star.

When I first heard A Mis Abuelos from Dazon, I pretty much... :laugh:

Something I have been wanting to hear on the field for a while is The Prayer Cycle by Jonathan Elias

http://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Cycle-Lawrenc...TF8&s=music

Four City Blocks by John Harbison (the recording I have is by the Cincinnati Wind Symphony on the cd "Paradigm." You can find it at http://klavier-records.com/

Lord of the Rings Symphony by Johan de Meij

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Symphonie...TF8&s=music

This cd also features "Spartacus" by Jan Van Der Roost and "A Barrie North Celebration" by Andre Jutras

Oh and I almost forgot...a Percy Grainger show would be amazing too. The Cavaliers have the second movement of Lincolnshire Posy on their Sounds of Summer cd and it's great.

Edited by DCfan48060

Samuel Barber's music. Everyone probably heard Adagio for Strings before drum corps, but I went out and bought Prayers of Kierkegaard and Symphonies 1&2 after hearing SCV play excerpts from those pieces. Same thing with Song Without Words and Dargason from '89 Star.

I have the others, but I've been looking for Prayers of Kierkegaard. What recording do you have?

For 2006, I got a recently recorded copy of Mahler 2, Pierre Boulez (who rocks) conducting Vienna Phil. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-2...TF8&s=music

B000EULVZ4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53169951_.jpg

I also purchased Pat Metheny's Imaginary Day, after hearing Roots of Coincidence and Heat of the Day (Crossmen 2002), both are awesome tracks. I haven't been able to find any Corigliano, though. Anyone know of any recordings of his stuff?

Oh and I almost forgot...a Percy Grainger show would be amazing too. The Cavaliers have the second movement of Lincolnshire Posy on their Sounds of Summer cd and it's great.

O man! I remember playing that at auditions. what can I say, but what a beautiful piece. especially with around 300 playing at the same time B)

Edited by triplefunk

It's not really a great deal, but if you like the music from BK 99 as much as I do, you'll like the following 2 albums. The first one has a lot of great music, but especially James Curnow's Trittico which contains the beautiful music from BK's ballad in 99. It's $20, but it has a lot of other good music as well, all brass band stuff. Here is a link to it.

And the second album is also $20, but well worth it, IMO. It's another brass band album, and it has Gregson's Partita, which BK performed in 99 (especially the closer :)), along with several of his other works, many of which I think would be great for DCI shows. Here is the link for that album.

also a good buy, is "Liturgical Dances" (sp?) I believe by David Holsinger. One incredible piece, furocious and dark. Dare I say Phantom-esque...

I have the others, but I've been looking for Prayers of Kierkegaard. What recording do you have?

Robert Shaw conducting the Atlanta Symphony and Chorus. The CD has some Bartok and Ralph Vaughan Williams pieces on it too. Pretty big dynamic range on the Barber recording. The highs are high and the lows are low. The part SCV played is actually the ending to the whole piece. I've been looking for that CD as I seemed to have misplaced it. <_<