Why Madison?

Because of the atmosphere and the fans. I only marched 3 years, but Madison was BY FAR the best finals. Incredible experience, and I fell in love with Madison while I was there . . . moved 2000 miles to be there soon after.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Madison was a great venue. But! What annoys me the most are those striking lines and yard numbers on the field. It's soooo distracting. I HATE fields like that. The same goes for Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, NJ. Stadiums like Byrd Stadium in College Park, MD, Invesco Field at Mile High Denver, Colorado, and The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Florida are the stadiums in my opinion great for seeing the corps not annoying mascots, blinding yard lines etc...

I thought Madison was a great venue. But! What annoys me the most are those striking lines and yard numbers on the field. It's soooo distracting. I HATE fields like that. The same goes for Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, NJ. Stadiums like Byrd Stadium in College Park, MD, Invesco Field at Mile High Denver, Colorado, and The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Florida are the stadiums in my opinion great for seeing the corps not annoying mascots, blinding yard lines etc...

sorry to tell you buddy...

dang near every field for a major competition is like that

get over it.

I would stick away from the orange bowl if at all possible because that is one of the worst venues I have been for finals.

The fact that the yard lines blind you on the dvd is probably one of the things that DCI thinks about least when picking a stadium for finals. Be happy that stadiums are still rather accomodating to drum corps, especially in the midwest.

Lee

It's like a pet peeve for me.

It's ok, I agree. I like the cleanliness, uncluttered..ness...of the places you mentioned (for example, finals 2000, 1996...97...98.....). The stuff the field in Buffalo and Madison is distracting to me.

Actually you can learn to use the 1-yard marks and painted numbers to your advantage. I can't remember what the exact measurements are, but you can calculate how many steps each one of the 1-yard ticks are and use that for drill. It makes things much more precise:) And I believe the top or bottom of regulation field numbers is a cetain amount of stpes from the front sideline. I cnoot remember how many though.

Edited by G-Cym

8 to 5, baby. 8 to mikki-fikkin' 5.

Topic? When I marched in 85, 86, and 87, we had our boom boxes tuned to one station thatr was doing promo announcements for DCI. Like it was a rock concert in town. I'd never heard anything like it. Bet you didn't get that in Buffalo. (OK maybe you did, I don't know.) Bleachers don't bother me so much, since I'm a widebody already. But i guess I liked the college town atmosphere of Madison (not to mention the fact that it's on campus and not off the highway like, say, KC or Buffalo) better than the big-city atmospheres. It means more to the activity, to me, anyway. YMMV, of course.

Actually you can learn to use the 1-yard marks and painted numbers to your advantage. I can't remember what the exact measurements are, but you can calculate how many steps each one of the 1-yard ticks are and use that for drill. It makes things much more precise:) And I believe the top or bottom of regulation field numbers is a cetain amount of stpes from the front sideline. I cnoot remember how many though.

Yeah, if those markings are the ones you have a problem with.... no. They are a godsend. And if someone could pm me and tell me what those ratios are, I'd be very grateful. I know the insides of the first and last tick mark are two, and of cours in between the middle two is splitting. I can't remember what they told us about the numbers.

This summer will be my first experience with Camp Randall (I never got to march there), so I really have nothing to add, except that I'm very excited to experience it.

Edited by HornlineDiva

Why Madison?

Yeah I know. Madison is the Mecca of Drum Corps. Everybody should make the pilgrimage. Have you ever tried to find a hotel in Madison? Better yet, have you ever plopped your tush down on the bleacher seats of Camp Randall Stadium? Not a comfortable prospect.

Brautwurst, Canadian bacon cheeseburgers, the food is teriffic and so are the people, but the accomodations are primitive.

I appreciate that DCI Championships started at Whitewater , but it is time to go forward. If Madison came up with a better venue than Camp Randall, and better accomodations were available, I'd say "let's go for it", but with so many other great venues available, why beat a dead horse?

Anything would be better than Orlando. Book a room at one of the monster waterpark/resorts up the road in the Wisc. Dells. Lots of places to stay within an hour, if you really need to. Heck, we stayed at the Boston airport Hilton and drove to DCI, so what's wrong with being within an hour of Madison? Madison is a fun city. Walk around downtown/university and check out all the cool places to eat and/or drink.