Harmonicas in drum corps?

lharp1.jpg

What about juice harps? Why don’t we ever talk about juice harps? I would love to see a corps march a juice harp line.

Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir.

Mandolin picks, perhaps and here and there a Jew's harp ...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know what family the harmonica is in. I believe most are made of a silver plated nickel. You blow through it, don't buzz... hmmm... that's a good one. It's internal workings are closer to valves than keys, because pressing the trigger diverts the air column to alter pitch (as valves do).

But it would be hard to hear (if allowed), since it is definitely a wind instrument, and amplication of such would be illegal.

Edited by Penguin

I don't really know what family the harmonica is in. I believe most are made of a silver plated nickel. You blow through it, don't buzz... hmmm... that's a good one. It's internal workings are closer to valves than keys, because pressing the trigger diverts the air column to alter pitch (as valves do).

But it would be hard to hear (if allowed), since it is definitely a wind instrument, and amplication of such would be illegal.

My motto:

IF YOU CAN'T HEAR IT ON A FOOTBALL FIELD...THEN IT PROBABLY ISN'T MADE FOR A FOOTBALL FIELD!!!! :sshh:

I'd say yes. It's no different than a whistle. Even those train whistles that you can change the tone with the stem that comes out of it.

I'd say yes. It's no different than a whistle. Even those train whistles that you can change the tone with the stem that comes out of it.

A harmonica is different from a slide whistle or train whistle, because those whistles are pretty much not used to play definate pitches. The sounds they make don't fit in with the harmonic structure of the music, they're pretty much just sound effects (although they may play something that fits in with the rhythmic structure of the music, but not the harmonic structure). Harmonicas on the other hand can play melody and play within the harmonic structure of the music (hence the name "harmonica"!)

Nope. An harmonica vibrates an internal reed.

Exactly

Galen, why would you, of all people ask such a question ? b**bs

As someone else said, let's not give any of these NEW ERA drum crops directors or show designers any more ideas what to bring into drum corps for the good of the activity!! :laugh:

I may be "Old School", but I'm also in a blues band in my area(guitar and harmonica) and I would LOVE to see somebody come doing a whole Little Walter show!! ^0^ ....................................................................

NOT!!