Harmonicas in drum corps?

Wow. Harmonicas. In my rampant imagination, I've never thought about that. I can see the harmonica as fitting in with whistles, which are allowed, and woodwinds due to the internal reed issue...woodwinds not being allowed.

Can someone find something online that indicates harmonicas are actually part of the woodwind family? A meeting with head judges would be of most interest if someone were to give this a try.

Mike

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they used their mouthpieces if you're referring to the drum solo part in the "Tornado" drum solo. :)

And if you're talking about the soprano quartet in "Can-Can" the soprano's were muted.

Yes, the quartet in Can-Can. I loved 27 that year, but didn't get to see them live until '78. So incredibly crowd pleasing regardless of their placement.

Wow. Harmonicas. In my rampant imagination, I've never thought about that. I can see the harmonica as fitting in with whistles, which are allowed, and woodwinds due to the internal reed issue...woodwinds not being allowed.

I can't see the harmonica fitting in in drum corps the same way slide whistles, samba whistles, and boatsman whistles do because those whistles aren't tuned to specific pitches and don't fit into the harmonic structure of the music. The harmonica does. I admit I haven't read the rules word for word, but I would guess that this might be why a samba whistle is legal while an Irish tin whistle or ocarina is not.

Can someone find something online that indicates harmonicas are actually part of the woodwind family? A meeting with head judges would be of most interest if someone were to give this a try.

Mike

Harmonicas are definately aerophones, according to how one classifies instruments based on how their sound is produced (see this site HERE with instrument classifications).

Is it part of the "woodwind family"? Well I guess that depends on how you define woodwind family. It's not an instrument even remotely typical in a band, wind ensemble, or orchestra... although it is part of western culture.

Mike

Technically, a whistle is a split wind and could be considered a flute. So when are we going to see flutes on a field?

^0^ :P

Back away from the woodwinds and everything will be okay... :P