Harmonicas in drum corps?

Maybe someone can answer this for me. Based on the rules that DCI uses right now regarding pit instrumentation and amplification, could a corps legally use a harmonica in their show (I'm thinking specifically about a blues-style harmonica)? Thanks.

It was a simple question that deserved a simple answer. Not everything in this forum needs to be a debate on amps and woodwinds. I understand the feelings that amps and woodwinds conjure up, but what is so wrong with a harmonica? If its against the rules then fine, I understand.

But what’s wrong with an instrument that does follow the rules of DCI and is a bit unorthodox. Part of this activity is entertainment and if it sounds good... why not? Just because an arranger didn't use an instrument 25 or 30 years ago doesn't mean it holds no place in Drum Corps. today. I like seeing Drum Corps try new things, sometimes I like what they try, sometimes I don't. Drum Corps. is going to evolve no matter what.

For the record....

I don't really like amps

I am against woodwinds

.....and I am not trying to start a debate about these issues

Sorry to stray off topic.

I would personally like to see a harmonica incorporated into a blues-style show, but if it has a reed, then it has no place on the Drum Corps field.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a simple question that deserved a simple answer. Not everything in this forum needs to be a debate on amps and woodwinds. I understand the feelings that amps and woodwinds conjure up, but what is so wrong with a harmonica? If its against the rules then fine, I understand.

But what’s wrong with an instrument that does follow the rules of DCI and is a bit unorthodox. Part of this activity is entertainment and if it sounds good... why not? Just because an arranger didn't use an instrument 25 or 30 years ago doesn't mean it holds no place in Drum Corps. today. I like seeing Drum Corps try new things, sometimes I like what they try, sometimes I don't. Drum Corps. is going to evolve no matter what.

For the record....

I don't really like amps

I am against woodwinds

.....and I am not trying to start a debate about these issues

Sorry to stray off topic.

I would personally like to see a harmonica incorporated into a blues-style show, but if it has a reed, then it has no place on the Drum Corps field.

True. I think ambassadorhorn answered it. That doesn't mean the thread should terminate and not evolve (like drum corps does)! :)

There's nothing wrong with debate, because that's what determines the general direction of most group activities. Amplification is an outrage to me, but I'm not terribly worried about it. They tried it and it'll probably (hopefully) wither on the vine. Forgive my ignorance, but was it legal, or were they penalized? Not much room for penalty in that score, so...never mind.

There will always be purists, there will always be progressives, and there will always be a bunch of us in the middle. For me a guiding principle is the name of the activity: Drum and Bugle Corps. If someone wants to form a marching band or an oboe and electric jew's harp octet, great. With respect to instrumentation, I'd like to keep drum corps what it is. There's plenty of room for innovation there.

Edited by dirtbag

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I remember that Bluecoats show. . . they also used pool cues as guard equipment. . . didn't Larry Mondrano (forgive my spelling) write for the guard that year?

best,

Chuck Naffier

Actually Chuck the Saxaphone props were in the 1993 tribute to Dizzy show during round midnight, and the Pool cues were in the 1994 Blues show during the opener of blues for alice

Actually Chuck the Saxaphone props were in the 1993 tribute to Dizzy show during round midnight, and the Pool cues were in the 1994 Blues show during the opener of blues for alice

Weren't there trumpet props (or, at least, A prop) in '93 since Dizzy was a trumpet player?

Weren't there trumpet props (or, at least, A prop) in '93 since Dizzy was a trumpet player?

I believe they had a trumpet (bent ala Dizzy) as well as the two sax players.