Most Influential Instructor

GmenBari78

I would have to see my most influential instructor was Dan Farrel.    If you've ever met Dan, he's got to be one of the most intimidating guys ever, but has an incredible way of motivating the hornline and individuals without resorting to putting anyone down.  

(Imperial March starts playing)

Ahhhhh Lord Vader himself....I tell ya I can honestly say my increase in volume came from that man.....nothing like being lined up in front of a brick wall and playing pedal tones full out and him adding I CANT HEAR YOU!

Also, we were working a part in the 5th one time during DCM week and we finished the hit and Farrel chimed in with "lets take it back, and this time add the baritones"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, we were working a part in the 5th one time during DCM week and we finished the hit and Farrel chimed in with "lets take it back, and this time add the baritones"

Typical Dan  :)

We were out doing section work one afternoon, and Dan had the baritones.  He worked us (Marching and playing---everyone else had to just play) for about an hour and then marched us to the local convenience store where he bought everyone a soda...guess he thought we did a good job!

Matt

It's tough to say who is the most influential; influential on the activity, influential on the  members, or both?

It was posted on this thread somewhere about Argonne and Madison Scouts brass instructors.  I can recall several rehearsals Jack Meehan gave us [bD] "history lessons" and motivational speeches about how we wanted to be remembered as a horn line.  Argonne Rebels and Madison Scouts (75) always came up as the bench mark horn lines and that if we were to be remembered as a great horn line, those lines were our competition.

So.....me vote goes to Sandra Opey and Jim Elvord.

Rob

Blue Devils 81-85

Nice Matt.....in 96 as well Bill Peterson tracked us to a little grocery store in Hartford, MI and we arched it up outside and played Nessun Dorma....it was quite a site....I dont think those folks knew what was going on. We got back to the school and Bill was like "jiffy mart and puccini....just always wanted to do it"

As a player?

Jack Meehan. And Wayne Downey and Frank Dorrittie.

As an instructor?

Tim Salzman - all the way. Best overall music teacher I have ever seen in Drum Corps. If you think about what he did in his stints with Cavies and SCV and think about the fact that it was pretty much part time work...

AMAZING!

[snip]

Tim Salzman - all the way. Best overall music teacher I have ever seen in Drum Corps. If you think about what he did in his stints with Cavies and SCV and think about the fact that it was pretty much part time work...

AMAZING!

I just remembered another fact about Tim - he used to talk to us about Sandra Opey and Argonne as an example of a great instructor and great hornline. Another example of greatness following in the same footsteps...

Nice Matt.....in 96 as well Bill Peterson tracked us to a little grocery store in Hartford, MI and we arched it up outside and played Nessun Dorma....it was quite a site....I dont think those folks knew what was going on. We got back to the school and Bill was like "jiffy mart and puccini....just always wanted to do it"

Bill first started working with the corps in 1993.  I really enjoyed working with him.  Both he and Dan have similar styles of teaching....

I'd have to agree about John Arietano, Roger. I learned a lot from the taskmaster: Donny Allen, also Jimmy Steele. Jim Ott was a great instructor as well as arranger. If politics hadn't driven him away, Dr. Terren Frenz, current dir. of the U of Cincinnati Marching Band might still be spearheading the Ohio Brass Factory and contributing to drum corps.

Cozy

Cozy Chops