Most Influential Instructor

GmenBari78

The most influential instructor for me would have to be Don Kaihatsu.  He has been around drum corps for a long time and just always knows how to put things in perspective.  He is an awesome guy.

Would that be the same Don Kaihatsu who marched in the Nisei Ambassadors and Chicago Connection?  If it is tell him to stop by the Royal Airs Alumni corps this summer - there are at least a dozen guys who would love to say hi.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the same Don Kaihatsu.  If I talk to him I'll tell him to drop by.

Shane

I have posted on topics similar to this one in the past but here goes...  some repeats here folks - guess that says it all.

Jim Elvord, Jim Mason, John Simpson, Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Jim Wren, Dan Farell, Mark Glascoe, Col. Truman Crawford

Now there is a list of talent - I was never instructed by the Phantom Regiment dudes listed - but watched them do magic over the years...

Hands down, Ben Harloff. Bluestars were lucky enough to have him a few camps. He is by far the best instructor ive ever had.

I second that.  His passion for music was one thing, but his passion for the members was quite another.  We watched him go from a regular distant instructor, not quite sure what to think of our little div III hornline, to one who was honestly invested in our program, and part of the Blue Stars family.  I'd never seen an instructor come down to the members level, yet still maintain a sense of "superiority".

We all wished he could have stayed for the summer, but we understood his previous commitments to the Magic of Orlando organization.  We were just happy to have him for the few camps we did.  I just hope we run into him on tour a few times.  He really got our brass program started on the right foot.

• 2 months later...

Funny that after seeing that the discussion board (as a majority) pretty much thinks that Star's hornlines were the best................it's funny to see that Jim Prime's name was only mentioned once and Donnie VanDoren's wasn't mentioned at all..............These are the guys that brought you Garfield 83-84 and Star 1990-1993..................

C'mon..................no better than that....

My most influential instructor that I had ia a tie between Steve Vento and Scott Jacobus. Stev made me a much better player, he converted me from an acceptable player to a pertty good player with his warmups and basic instruction. Scott made me a better marcher and a better person with his words and freindship. I will always remember those two personalities.

Van Mathews, hands down.

The most influential instructors in my history would come down to four men.

First of which is Jason Reinhart. He started as our mello tech at pioneer in 1996, I finally had him as my tech in the 1999 season with a line of 27 total horns. He took that small ensemble of youngsters and made us great at what we did. He will always have my respect and admiration for his hard work and dedication .

Second of all would be John Whitlock III. He was a visual caption head at Pioneer for a few years. He was really involved in the mental aspect of the preperation for shows. A great teacher and innovator of that program.

Third would be Pete Harvey, another visual guy from pioneer. Pete was the one who would take the entire line out and track us for four hours through the scorching heat of the texas suburbs. He was hated by all at that time but as soon as we stopped and realized how much better it was for us, we had nothing but admiration for his determination to take us forward.

Last but not least would be Donny Allen, not always the most well liked man but he was a legend in his own right. Much love and respect for what he did for us.

Pioneer Mello 1999-2000