Most Influential Instructor

GmenBari78

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Ott was a great instructor as well as arranger.

Thanks CozyChops.  I just got to this thread and was surprised it took that long for Jim's name to come up.  You are so correct.  When discussing Lloyd's injury and drum corps' loss of Jim, a fellow Spirit alumnus said it best, "I am haunted by what might have been."

Surely junior corps brass playing would have evolved away from what it was at the time (and actually it had already begun to), but I always wonder what might have been different if Jim were still going to critique.

Indeed, Loud is Beautiful.

Jim Ott was a great instructor as well as arranger.

Thanks CozyChops.  I just got to this thread and was surprised it took that long for Jim's name to come up.  You are so correct.  When discussing Lloyd's injury and drum corps' loss of Jim, a fellow Spirit alumnus said it best, "I am haunted by what might have been."

Surely junior corps brass playing would have evolved away from what it was at the time (and actually it had already begun to), but I always wonder what might have been different if Jim were still going to critique.

Indeed, Loud is Beautiful.

It took some coaxing but LLOYD is back instructing. He is working with the Menominee Northernaires and the Ishpeming BlueNotes. And he hasn't dropped a beat.

Id have to say Al de Croce and Dennis Argul.Dennis more so ,just cause he 's still goin strong(round here at least).Al was personally responsible for me being in Bush,and was my 1st instructor in Bayonne,where I marched in between Dennis and Brian Law.Jimmer(Jim Prime) also ranks up there in my influence  tree.

J :)

I gotta say that Van Mathews is one of the BEST teachers I have ever had. For those that have learned under him in  Madison and for those that learned from him at BD, I know that many will agree. It is not really the way he conducts, rather it is the way he can say things to the hornline in a manner in which you say to yourself  "why didnt I think of the music that way" and  "this guy has it all figured out".  He makes it seem so easy too, couple that with a smooth relaxed demeanor, his mastery of analogy,  and he is one of the coolest cats I know, and one of the most influential in my book

What's really funny is that I posted this under the "best horn staff" thread like 5 minutes ago and said almost the SAME EXACT things!  Honestly...and I truly love all the guys on the Scouts current brass staff...but when Van left, part of me died.  He is truly, hands down, the BEST instructor I have ever had.  You guys and gals at BD, don't take this man for granted.  More than likely, you'll never have the opportunity to learn from someone as talented as Van Matthews ever again.  As was already posted, one of the things that you will think after Van will magically solve another "mystery of the musical universe" right before your eyes is, "this guy really DOES know everything!"  It's an amazing realization when it finally hits you...and you can't truly appreciated him until it does.  Treasure every moment you have with him...and soak up his wisdom like a sponge.  5 years from now, chances are that you'll STILL think that Van is the man...and you'll be right. :D

Justin "dumplin" Newberry

Van Matthews fan...

Have to say that Donny Allen is my all-time tops.  After that.....Ted Key, he really made you start to listen and think.  Hearing chords and fixing the intonation immediately.  Donny is THE MAN!  He'll seem crazy, but he gets what he wants from you.  Highly respected not only with our corps but with ALL corps.

For me it would have to be Jack Meehan he brought a little of west coast philosophy to an east coast corps. The next would have to be Mike Londgo, he had a way of getting players to give their all.

The most influential instructor for me would have to be Don Kaihatsu.  He has been around drum corps for a long time and just always knows how to put things in perspective.  He is an awesome guy.

Shane Ainsworth

Southwind Soprano 1996

Pioneer Soprano 1998

Pioneer Staff 2000-01