Most Influential Instructor

GmenBari78

OK, I goofed and answered this question in the percussion forum, when I was talking brass, but I thought perhaps I should get this going over here in the brass forum also.

So the question is, who had the most influence on you as a brass player?

Here is what I wrote in the thread in the percussion forum:

In my limited experience (one year in the late 70s), it was our brass instructor/arranger - Tim Salzman. Also the arranger of Greensleeves and our other brass instructor, Scott Wagner.  These two guys were dedicated, hard working, and focused. They helped us to grow into a focused unit.  Tim's pre-show "meditation sessions" with the horn line helped all of us to keep focus and get out on the field with our best.  Tim went on to SCV and Cavaliers, and helped them to become championship horn lines in the 80s and 90s. I feel privileged to have been a part of his early years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to see my most influential instructor was Dan Farrel.    If you've ever met Dan, he's got to be one of the most intimidating guys ever, but has an incredible way of motivating the hornline and individuals without resorting to putting anyone down.  For example, we had a terrible show one night in Ankeny, Iowa in the summer of 1991, and the percussion caption head Marty Hurley (who remembers Marty?)  absolutely had a fit right there in the parking lot at the show.  He yelled at the hornline for a good fifteen minutes before he sent us away.  The next morning Dan apologized for his behavior, and that he would not be allowed to yell at the hornline again.  That being said, he offered:  "Now, I know I've heard you guys play better than what you did last night...why don't we go out and try again today."  It was a very subtle way of saying, "You guys sucked last night!"  But, he didn't need to make us feel bad.  We felt worse when he said it like that, but it had the POSITIVE effect he wanted---we worked harder and had an incredible show that night.  He always worked like that, and it made practice a lot more fun.  Great approach to teaching anything....

Matt

I gotta say that Van Mathews is one of the BEST teachers I have ever had. For those that have learned under him in  Madison and for those that learned from him at BD, I know that many will agree. It is not really the way he conducts, rather it is the way he can say things to the hornline in a manner in which you say to yourself  "why didnt I think of the music that way" and  "this guy has it all figured out".  He makes it seem so easy too, couple that with a smooth relaxed demeanor, his mastery of analogy,  and he is one of the coolest cats I know, and one of the most influential in my book

In my limited experience (one year in the late 70s), it was our brass instructor/arranger - Tim Salzman.

I have to agree with Jim.  For me, hands down, it has to be Tim Salzman.  He's the biggest reason I pursued a career in music.

I was only 13 when I made SCV in '85 - I was sitting in the percussion room during a break during our December camp and he walked by and started chatting with me.  During our discussion he asked me, "Have you ever considered a career in music?" and to this day I cannot believe how much it has affected me.

I went on to major in music at 'SC and am now an elementary school music teacher.  I absolutely love my job and give Tim a LOT of credit for helping to develop my sound and love of music.

I gotta say that Van Mathews is one of the BEST teachers I have ever had. For those that have learned under him in  Madison and for those that learned from him at BD, I know that many will agree. It is not really the way he conducts, rather it is the way he can say things to the hornline in a manner in which you say to yourself  "why didnt I think of the music that way" and  "this guy has it all figured out".  He makes it seem so easy too, couple that with a smooth relaxed demeanor, his mastery of analogy,  and he is one of the coolest cats I know, and one of the most influential in my book

When I saw this topic, I absolutely KNEW Van Mathews would come up, whether from Scouts or BD. Couldn't agree more. Van's the man!

Ray Baumgardt/James Elvord-Madison Scouts

Sandra Opie-Argonne Rebels

In the early 70s, both changed forever what horn lines sounded like, especially Madison in the early-mid 70s. Madison influenced Jim Ott and Wayne Downey with Blue Devils in the mid-70s. Nuff said.

I have to agree with Tim Salzman.  He was still with us through '91-'92.  He is such a 'GOD' that when ever he came to our camps, the whole corps would actually run to their sets, and pretty much jump off the cliff if he told us to!

I was surprised a few years ago, that I went to a Cavie camp and he was there, and he remember me!!!!  I have a picture of him, Gordon Henderson, and myself at the '92 Cavie Banquet.

Gayle Royer - He worked with our horn line (Hamburg Kingsmen) one night during a weekend seminar in Buffalo (1974??).  He taught us just how much under our potential we had been playing - an experience I have never forgotten.  We stood taller and played better when he was out front.

Ed Cozzolino - again, a man who could get the max out of the talent he had to work with.

The 2000 Skyliner staff - John Arietano, Ken MacLean and Tom "Bucky" Swan.  John wrote the most interesting and complex arrangements I have ever played - Ken had the best ear I have ever experienced - and Bucky taught us to perform like Skyliners.  I learned how to really perform (not just play the notes correctly) from these guys.

I am also looking forward to working with Jeff Gibbens this summer - I just rented a place in Erie for the summer and plan to play with the Erie Thunderbirds Alumni this summer.

Well, since I only marched horn for one year in the Cadets (72) my ONLY brass instructor was also the most influential for me personally. It was Don Angelica, one of the greats in drum corps history.

One of the "little things" he did for a bunch of us who were music majors was pretty neat. He had us over to his house and had us each arrange a short piece for the hornline. We played through the charts at a rehearsal and then at a followup session he reviewed how we had done, both good and bad. My assignment was "When Johnny Come Marching Home".

Roger,

Bucky Swan taught the Garden State corps I marched in way back in 68/69, and taught in 75-76. Actually, it seemed like he taught ALL of the GSC corps back in those days.   :P  

John Arietano writes some great charts. He's been doing our band's for years (since before I started teaching this band in 94).

In fact, we're meeting tonight to finalize (hopefully) our show music for next fall.

Mike