Cavaliers 1997

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the list but 2 of the darkest shows in DCI history:

1990 Freelancers

1988 Suncoast Sound

Heh, no surprise that I agree with G-Cym on many of these. Dark shows are some of my favorite.

I was driving back and forth from Bloomington this weekend, and one of the shows that I listened to several times was Blue Devils 2000. That's got to be my favorite show of theirs, only topped by maybe 1999. For sure it has one of the very best closers I've ever heard. Love it.

For Phantom, I guess I would go with 1996, at least until the Symphony No. 5 closer. When I first got introduced to drum corps, that was my favorite part. But now as my tastes have advanced, I find the haunting opener and the following Symphony No. 1 selection to be best moments of the show.

Not sure about SCV. A lot of people have mentioned 2000, and I guess that fits, but again the closer seems more determined than dark. 1999 also starts out dark, but again the closer changes things up. Either show is great, though, and if we're counting them as dark, then they both get my vote, along with 2003 and 1995. I love a dark SCV. :)

Blue Knights practically always have dark shows. Needless to say, they're one of my favorite corps for it. My favorite book of theirs has been the 2003 show, but 1999 and 2005 were also great stuff. Haven't gotten into the 2002 show yet, but I'll go back and take a listen.

Bluecoats have had some dark moments over the last few years. Perhaps their darkest show was the 2003 program. Heh, I just listened to that on the way in to work today. Unlike so many other shows, this one might not grab you from the start, but man does it build! Pretty much once the ballad ends, the show just never lets up. Great show.

Another favorite that hasn't often been mentioned is Boston 2001. They've been such a happy shiny corps that it hardly seems possible that they could have performed that. But I liked it. Really cool stuff.

OOOO good call matt on the Boston 01 show. I don't really fancy myself as a Boston fan. But I just recently started listening to a bunch of shows that I have but never really listened to. Boston 01 is a gem. I wouldn't say the whole show is dark, and it is definately not along the lines of Cavies 00 or BD 00. Bit considering what Boston's image is noramlly, it is certainly dark for them. My favorite Boston show.

BTW Matt, now that I'm aged out, we'll have to meet up at a show this season.

Edited by G-Cym

Blue Knights 2002

Star of Indiana 1993

Cavaliers 2000 (HM to 1997)

Spirit 1988 (HM to the 2002 opener)

Blue Devils 2000 (HM to 1995)

Cadets 1998 - not really that dark but then again I can't think of anything darker for them either, at least not for an entire show.

1995 Blue Devils

1997 Cavaliers (even though it may have been an "off" year)

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard

1993 Star of Indiana

2002 Blue Knights (I think)

1996 Phantom Regiment