Dark Shows

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers 94 - they crucify the guard and whip each other with chains, like Passion of the Christ on a football field

Santa Clara 2000 - yeah.

And any show that has a "jam" session where the hornline bends over backwards really can't be considered dark. Takes away from the seriousness of it. I would also disqualify any show where gobledy-gook is spoken and girls run around in hats. F-ed up maybe, but not dark.

Blue Devils (Concord, California) 2000 "Methods of Madness"

Bluecoats (Canton, Ohio) 2002 "Urban Dances"

The Cadets (Sponsored by YEA!) 2005 "The Zone: Dreamscapes in 4 Parts with a Door"

The Cavaliers (Rosemont, Illinois) 1997 "Firebird"

Crossmen (Sponsored by YEA!) ???

Madison Scouts (Madison, Wisconsin) ???

Phantom Regiment (Rockford/Loves Park, Illinois) - 1996 "A Defiant Heart"

Santa Clara Vangaurd (Santa Clara, California) 2000 "Age of Reverence"

Star of Indiana (Bloomington, Indiana) - 1993 "Medea"

Interesting...I think since 85, the cavaliers have always produced a darker approach (interpretation) to their productions....remember 90, 91, 92 and 93? Very dark and at times, sinister...they still continue this tradition in their unique sound and drill design.

I have never though that cadets(garfield) have ever been "dark"...they are always upbeat, bright and punchy...it works for them.

Star 91 and 93 were definitely "dark"...

Dev's have experiments with elements of darkness and abstract more than any....85 is a good example...91 adventures in time, 93 with its subtleness of a more sophisticated interpretation of contemporary jazz, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 00, 01, 02, 03, and 04 were all good examples of a dark presentation. (at times the dissonent chord structure, uncomfortable, but creative segues and transitions, complimented by abstract and non-traditional percussion arranging and a fully intergrated guard/dance-almost WGI type, exemplify this)

I would say Phantom takes a dark approach, by music selection, then translates it into their overall design....93, 94 and 96 are phenominal examples...what cool shows, innovative and creative. They still have a mystique that exuberates "darkness" sometimes "sinister".

Edited by DaKman

Great topic. Dark shows are my favorite.

First of all, Cavies 2000. My all -time favorite show. There are about 30 seconds of happy sounding music the whole show. Even the horns leaning back jam is intense.

BD 2000. My favorite BD show musically. Yeah it was dirty, it is still great to listen to.

SCV 2000. What a great year for drum corps. Every movement of the show is great. The Bartok opener was afast and intense. Adagio was beautiful and dark but in a differnt way. The transition from Adagio to Stained Glass with the chime notes is one of my favorite drum corps moments. Minimalistic, I know, but it still sends shivers down my spine. Whenever I hear that it's like they are telling you tehy are gearing up for some serious awesomeness. And like Rondo said, it takes guts to pull off an ending like they did.

Phantom 96. Great opener. The closer is a bit too majestic sounding for me though.