Hash marks?

That must be weird. I know the distance between the front high school hash and the front sideline is 28 steps, but what about the front college hash and the front sideline? Must be something weird like 34.2.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hash marks aren't the biggest problem fro American corps up here...we have two 50 yard lines, it's possible to be "inside" the 50 in Canada.

Don't remember anything about two 50 yard lines. What I do remember though is being told that the field has been pushed back X amount of yards because the bleachers were over crowded and people were sitting on the grass, so they painted a new field using yellow paint on top of the white paint already there.

Funny thing is though, I think Yamato had their best performance that night in 2002, despite not being able to see any of the yellow markings on the field.

That must be weird. I know the distance between the front high school hash and the front sideline is 28 steps, but what about the front college hash and the front sideline? Must be something weird like 34.2.

On a High school field, divided in thirds with 53'4" between sidelines and hashes AND between the hashes, we use 28 steps. It's really 28.44444 steps between the hashes but we round off. So there are actually 85 and 1/3 steps from sideline to sideline, not the typical 84 steps most groups use.

On an NCAA field, there are exactly 32 steps (60 feet) between the hashes and the sideline. It's 40 feet between the hashes. That's 21.3 steps. Some groups use 20 "adjusted" or larger steps and others just use 21 steps. The thought being that the extra 4 inches divided out over the 21 steps is minimal.

Any idea why the distances for hashmarks are different from HS to college to NFL?

First off, I can't remember the EXACT measurements, but High School fields aren't actually marked off in even thirds, but it is pretty close and everyone just works around it.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is for H.S. and College hash marks, but I know that Pro fields are marked the way they are to allow for more offense. The thinking being that you can't use the sideline as a defense barrier and stack your defense to one side.

Any idea why the distances for hashmarks are different from HS to college to NFL?

this distance between a college hash (from a high school hash) is about one extra 8-5 (maybe slightly larger) from the sideline.

not sure about NFL.

~>conner

not that I am trying to be an old timer and say "back in my day there was no hash marks, all we had was hash......"---cause I'm not

but check this pic out:

http://www.troopersdrumcorps.org/gallery/d...?album=4&pos=85

A Sunburst on dirt........at a Rodeo........in Casper..........

I remember watching the Blue Knights rehearse in 2000 when they stopped in UT on their way back to Denver, they all of a sudden stopped rehearsal and moved it to the soccer field behind the stadium. I guess they were playing the whole show at the Colorado Rapids game on the 4th of July and had to figure the show out on a soccer field.......

someone was using some sort of hash...........

Umm..there are 4 steps from the the HS hash to the inside college hash.

28/28/28 on HS fields

32/20/32 on College fields

NFL hashes line up with the uprights on the goal posts.

ahhh my bad.

~>conner

The hash marks aren't the biggest problem fro American corps up here...we have two 50 yard lines, it's possible to be "inside" the 50 in Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HA HA Yeah I've had to deal with that! It's even harder if the numbers are ON the field!

Edited by beckylynn44