'89 SCV or Phantom

I love watching the video of Phantom, but wow SCV just soaked the crowd in power and emotion.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who is marty hurley?

really? This guy is pretty well known...he was the percussion caption head/arranger for phantom (LSU in off season) since the middle ages...he retired from DCI (thank god) after the 92 season.

he had notoriously been known to have punched a judge in critique because of a disagreement...since then, he was somewhat blacklisted...and his parts at times were a little "old fashioned", which didnt help matters much.

who is marty hurley?

It appears that you have an interest in Phantom. If so, learning a little bit about Marty Hurley might be of interest. He was teaching drums with Phantom from 1975 to 1992. A bad ### snare drummer that molded many fine snare drummers through the years (John Wooten, Jeff Prosperie, Ken Mazur to name a few - also, Lee Hanson on tenors). He taught a distinct pinky-tuck traditional grip (Bobby Thompson grip?). While labeled as "outdated" at the time of his departure at PR, he was not afraid to try new things.

He introduced a "Hi-Volume" snare drum, with the mid-section of the shell cut out. He used "stereo" split pit sections. He still teaches and writes today. You can find his stuff at www.rowloff.com. But as stated, he is not involved in drum corps.

Any corrections? Feel free to politely offer.

Thanks.

Edited by mingusmonk

It appears that you have an interest in Phantom. If so, learning a little bit about Marty Hurley might be of interest. He was teaching drums with Phantom from 1975 to 1992. A bad ### snare drummer that molded many fine snare drummers through the years (John Wooten, Jeff Prosperie, Ken Mazur to name a few - also, Lee Hanson on tenors). He taught a distinct pinky-tuck traditional grip (Bobby Thompson grip?). While labeled as "outdated" at the time of his departure at PR, he was not afraid to try new things.

He introduced a "Hi-Volume" snare drum, with the mid-section of the shell cut out. He used "stereo" split pit sections. He still teaches and writes today. You can find his stuff at www.rowloff.com. But as stated, he is not involved in drum corps.

Any corrections? Feel free to politely offer.

Thanks.

i have to add....he likes to smoke...shared a smoke with him on a quiet afternoon before pre-lims in 91...and he is pro environment and anti-war.

If you going to hit PR for being overzealous with their approach to musical interpretation...well, thanks - lol, that's the point!

To express music in such a way as to ellicit a crowd reaction. Play the lows lower, the highs higher, to really put a part of yourself out there for the crowd to share in. Not to say that SCV doesn't do this, sounds odd, but if we lost there was no other corps I'd rather lose to.

I feel Regiment should have won in 89, but in the end I really don't care. Those members know what they were part of, and every member that has worn the uniform since wants to be them.

I know from experience how little I know, but for me PR 89 is one of the greatest shows of all time.

mm...sak...sak...sak

Edited by raphael18

Oh - and so I am not hijacking this thread ...

SCV rightly won 1989. I saw Phantom many times that summer. They came out of the gate so strong, but they definitely peaked out early with that program. I guess what I am saying is, the corps was better than the material. And while the show was a hit, emotionally ... it could have been programmed in a way that was more productive for the talented group.

Oh - and so I am not hijacking this thread ...

SCV rightly won 1989. I saw Phantom many times that summer. They came out of the gate so strong, but they definitely peaked out early with that program. I guess what I am saying is, the corps was better than the material. And while the show was a hit, emotionally ... it could have been programmed in a way that was more productive for the talented group.

Well, SCV is my favorite corps and don't get me wrong, I really really really liked the Phantom of the Opera show, but it just seemed like SCV's drill was dirty and uninspiring (to me) and IMO, Phantom's interpretation of New World Symphony seemed more mature and meant something more for drum corps.

I guess i just can't explain it, but I thought phantom just seemed to be more mature whereas SCV's show seemed more kid like.

I personally like Phantom's show before, but haven't watched them back to back enough (or seen them in person, obviously) enough to make a decisive call.