yelling "VANGUARD" in the pause....2003

True story:

The 1993 SCV Cadets started the "VANGUARD!!" yell in 1993.

There was a nice long pause in the opener where we thought it might be appropriate to yell and then the push came right after that. We traveled with our A-Corps that year all the way to Mississippi. That yell was one of the traditions the Cadet Corps embodied to support our big brothers and sisters in the A-Corps as they supported us the entire year.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like hearing those during a show. You can hear lots of them in our closer this year (during the trumpet feature, especially); it's a sign of audience interest, appreciation, and most importantly, consciousness. I'd prefer that to complete silence during the show; that's what rehearsals entail.

Ditto

not when you have a staff pass....NLP and "anchor" words that help "turn up the heat"....(im sharing my performance secrets with you....he he he)...other such "coaching calls", dont always make the recording...listen carefully and you will hear people like tom float, ralph hardimon, donny van doren, jim prime, thom aungst...any and all of the late 70's and early 80's spirit staff....so on, etc, etc,

One reason I only play concert audios for non-corps guests. This juvenile hockey game nonesense is truly annoying, unless it's part of the performance.

"Vanguard!"; absolutely. "Crystallllllll"; I'm re-thinking capital punishment.

I love the yell in that spot. I first listened to that show before going to sleep one night after transferring it to my iPod, and when I heard the yell at the end of the show, I knew it was coming. That push sold the show for me.

I think the commentary is sarcastic. how could you be in the Vanguard organization and put in the Grand Pause without expecting people to yell out "Vanguard"... the entire idea that their comments might have been serious is ludicrous to me. In recent history I think they've had it every year except for 2000-01... didn't think the one this year was very well put though. Personally i hope the new staff will keep the tradition alive.

Yelling something like "Vanguard", which is applauded by most and certainly expected at a certain time in the show is one thing. Shouting other things like "Go drums!" does not enhance the show one bit.

Clapping and giving ovations as part of the crowd response is great. Shouting out as a lone voice IS annoying.

as i have already stated, and have set you straight, as a staff member on the sidelines, we have many "anchors" that we utilize (during rehearsals, warm-ups, etc)....we are not in the audience, it is our show, sit back and enjoy. Point is, some of these makes the recordings...again see earlier post EXPLAINING this.

furthermore, dont think that you can start writing rules that say, this is ok, but the same thing later, isnt.

jeesh! just read.

to inform most of you, many of us (staff and design teams) see this as a competitive sport that utilizes music, assorted audio and visual. Yes, the performance is generally considered musical, but it is not a concert by any means. When Im playing timpani in the Philharmonic and someone yells out "Go timp...woooo", i consider that brash and rude...in drum corps (as with soccer and other sports) its a part of the game.

In the symphonic arena...it is rude to show favour (applause until the piece is finished...that means even abstaining after each movement as well)...with jazz/big band, the sky is the limit..."woops, hollars and applause" is always appreciate by the band during tutti "lay back and wail" and after solos. Drum corps is a little like the later, but more like the environment that its performed in - A SPORT ARENA!

If you cant come to a show and relax and have fun without being annoyed by mass crowds, then buy the DVD or tickets for the 10 yard line.

Edited by DaKman

I think the commentary is sarcastic. how could you be in the Vanguard organization and put in the Grand Pause without expecting people to yell out "Vanguard"... the entire idea that their comments might have been serious is ludicrous to me. In recent history I think they've had it every year except for 2000-01... didn't think the one this year was very well put though. Personally i hope the new staff will keep the tradition alive.

There was indeed a spot for the Vanguard Yell in 01, it's just that the crowd didn't seem go along with it that year. Though a few did yell loud enough to hear on the DVDs. It took me a while to figure out where it was. I actually had a tech in 03 that marched that year that didn't even remember where it was. Anyway, it's after the Mellophone solo near the end of the show right after the 4 horn hits. BOP-BOP-BOP-BOP -VANGUARD!!!