yelling "VANGUARD" in the pause....2003

i think its a cheap trick for Santa Clara Vanguard to yell that every year...at least college band yell something different all the time. I get annoyed when people start clapping for something like that. I also dont like it when they start singing or speaking on the field. They should get penalities for that, its d&b corps, not d&b choir. if they keep that up, i will go back to the gate and demand my money back for false advertising.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as i have already stated, and have set you straight, as a staff member on the sidelines, we have many "anchors" that we utilize (during rehearsals, warm-ups, etc)....we are not in the audience, it is our show, sit back and enjoy. Point is, some of these makes the recordings...again see earlier post EXPLAINING this.

furthermore, dont think that you can start writing rules that say, this is ok, but the same thing later, isnt.

jeesh! just read.

to inform most of you, many of us (staff and design teams) see this as a competitive sport that utilizes music, assorted audio and visual. Yes, the performance is generally considered musical, but it is not a concert by any means. When Im playing timpani in the Philharmonic and someone yells out "Go timp...woooo", i consider that brash and rude...in drum corps (as with soccer and other sports) its a part of the game.

In the symphonic arena...it is rude to show favour (applause until the piece is finished...that means even abstaining after each movement as well)...with jazz/big band, the sky is the limit..."woops, hollars and applause" is always appreciate by the band during tutti "lay back and wail" and after solos. Drum corps is a little like the later, but more like the environment that its performed in - A SPORT ARENA!

If you cant come to a show and relax and have fun without being annoyed by mass crowds, then buy the DVD or tickets for the 10 yard line.

Why don't you share your name so we'll know your credentials? You play tympani in the "philharmonic"? Which one?

You haven't "set me straight", and have haven't "informed" me of anything. I was on staff for a top 12 corps for 11 seasons. I was a marching member for the previous 4 seasons. You don't have to try to educate me at all...I've been there. I know what the rehearsal environment is like and I know very well what the performance environment is also. No matter, I still think that yelling certain things are rude, obnoxious, and annoying. Crowd cheers and general crowd noise and responses are acceptable, but there is nothing you can say that will make me accept a lone cry from a fan in the crowd or the staff. If your corps has to have you yelling at them to keep them pumped up, then they have more problems to work on.

Save your preaching for someone that doesn't know any better.

Glad you brought this up, because I've often wondered during the years whether the yell was planned or imposed.

I auditioned for them in 2000 having marched in the Vanguard cadets the 2 years prior to that and I remember the brass guy at the December camp introducing us to the show music and saying not to worry, they would make sure they would have their moment of silence so the crowd could yell Vanguard.

It's really easy to get the facts.

2003: My first year as SCVs brass arranger. The "Vanguard yell" in the closer was not programmed, silence was. Trust me, the "Vanguard yell" was not of concern to a new arranger to one of the top Div 1 drum corps. In fact, Bill Watson (jokingly) was the first person (during either the March or April camp) to mention that the crowd would most likely insert the "vocal" there. This was 3-4 months AFTER the music was arranged. So, to solve the conspiracy, both myself and Jim Casella were not being sarcastic in the 2003 commentary. We are/were amused that it is/was such a "big deal" to people.

2004: Knowing that the crowd would be inserting the vocal anyway, it was time to program it. Notice that it is located right before the big push in the closer. We wanted applause during the Scheherazade push and we knew that the crowd would not only love the push, but would ACTUALLY APPLAUD THEMSELVES for having such a major "part" in the show! In fact, I mentioned to a couple of DCP-ers exactly where it should be during the May camp and as I recall, it was deafening at finals in Denver.

Just remember, a "pause" in our music is all about the musical tension and release, not the "vocal". Participating with the crowd on the "Vanguard yell" as a large group is cool. Yelling something individually to hear yourself make the CD/DVD is probably not only the most selfish... but the LAMEST attempt I can imagine at attempting to create one's own glory. Just my 2 cents.

See you in the stands!

It's really easy to get the facts.

2003: My first year as SCVs brass arranger. The "Vanguard yell" in the closer was not programmed, silence was. Trust me, the "Vanguard yell" was not of concern to a new arranger to one of the top Div 1 drum corps. In fact, Bill Watson (jokingly) was the first person (during either the March or April camp) to mention that the crowd would most likely insert the "vocal" there. This was 3-4 months AFTER the music was arranged. So, to solve the conspiracy, both myself and Jim Casella were not being sarcastic in the 2003 commentary. We are/were amused that it is/was such a "big deal" to people.

2004: Knowing that the crowd would be inserting the vocal anyway, it was time to program it. Notice that it is located right before the big push in the closer. We wanted applause during the Scheherazade push and we knew that the crowd would not only love the push, but would ACTUALLY APPLAUD THEMSELVES for having such a major "part" in the show! In fact, I mentioned to a couple of DCP-ers exactly where it should be during the May camp and as I recall, it was deafening at finals in Denver.

Just remember, a "pause" in our music is all about the musical tension and release, not the "vocal". Participating with the crowd on the "Vanguard yell" as a large group is cool. Yelling something individually to hear yourself make the CD/DVD is probably not only the most selfish... but the LAMEST attempt I can imagine at attempting to create one's own glory. Just my 2 cents.

See you in the stands!

THATS what I was looking for. Thanks for your response, and thanks for arranging some BRILLIANT shows.

See, that's what I love about this board. People go on record theorizing about how things went down, and then the arranger/designer shows up and sets everyone straight. Thanks Key - in my book, you write the best horn book in drum corps.

If only this happened in other places in life. Like you and your buddies sitting around claiming that Roger Clemens has lost some pop and that you could easily hit his fastball - and then Clemens chiming in from the booth next you.....

quoted from above ^^

"i think its a cheap trick for Santa Clara Vanguard to yell that every year...at least college band yell something different all the time. I get annoyed when people start clapping for something like that. I also dont like it when they start singing or speaking on the field. They should get penalities for that, its d&b corps, not d&b choir. if they keep that up, i will go back to the gate and demand my money back for false advertising."

we dont yell it the crowd does, please go see a live show

Edited by scforever

got loud around 2002.

_____

Heh ... I wonder if that had anything to do with the 140 or so SCVAC participants in the audience that night